Spelljammer A Look At The Upcoming Spelljammer Boxed Set

Preview images of the upcoming Spelljammer boxed set have been appearing on sites across the web, so I've gathered some of them together here. These also include the hobby store 'special edition' with Hydro74 art.

Preview images of the upcoming Spelljammer boxed set have been appearing on sites across the web, so I've gathered some of them together here. These also include the hobby store 'special edition' with Hydro74 art.

sj-1.jpg

sj-2.jpg

sj-3.jpg
sj-4.jpg
sj-5.jpg
sj-6.jpg
sj-7.jpg
sj-8.jpg

R_J_K75

Legend
No, but it's being used by some as evidence that Spelljamming ships can normally travel to the Outer Planes. I mentioned it to stave off any arguments from.that angle.
Regardless if the game is canon or not Id guess that the new boxed set would mirror the video game as much as possible to avoid confusion between players of both games.

Stormonu

Legend
I had this idea that would potentially preserve the original Phlogiston, while still making Astral travel the default:

As you approach the edge of a system, what you encounter depends on how fast you are going. If moving at spelljamming speeds, you pass through a massive portal to the Astral Plane (essentially, the portal key is moving at spelljamming speeds).

If you are moving more slowly, or stop before passing through the portal, you encounter a hard crystal sphere. This can be bypassed by magic or through naturally occurring openings, and after that you're in the Flow.

Travel via the Phlogiston is actually faster than Astral travel, but has several drawbacks. All the flammability issues of the old Flow are in place, so it's dangerous. There's also little to nothing out there, so no chance to resupply or otherwise receive aid. Finally, those creatures which do exist in the deep between spheres are unknown and perhaps unknowable, think Great Old One type stuff. Most folks far prefer the Astral for a safer, if slower, alternative.
Or you could do that Astral Travel is like jumping to Hyperspace, and going to the Phlogiston is like entering the Warp (40K version). Both require a spell, special augmentation to the Spelljamming Helm (like the difference between Star Trek/Star Wars Impulse and Warp/Hyperdrive engines) or a free-standing existing portal (ala a Bajoran Wormhole or the like). The default is just hopping around your own "sphere" in Wildspace - you can get to the edge of a Crystal Sphere, but no further without extraordinary means.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Regardless if the game is canon or not Id guess that the new boxed set would mirror the video game as much as possible to avoid confusion between players of both games.
I'm not sure i like the idea of the TTRPG mirroring a video game. It should be the other way around, if anything.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm not sure i like the idea of the TTRPG mirroring a video game. It should be the other way around, if anything.
Your guess is as good as mine. I didnt realize that the final version isnt expected until next year and the game has been in the works and cancelled then revived since the early/mid 2000s according to Wikipedia.

Your guess is as good as mine. I didnt realize that the final version isnt expected until next year and the game has been in the works and cancelled then revived since the early/mid 2000s according to Wikipedia.
Covid knocked things back for them. They're actually close to being done, most of what's left is pretty much polish and bug squishing.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It doesn't bother me. Elements from movies or TV shows end up in the comics all the time, and this is basically the same thing.
Yeah, honestly not a big fan of that either. But to be fair I haven't been regularly collecting comics since long before the MCU.

Remove ads

Remove ads