D&D 5E A magician without Spells

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The fuel for the abilities was the kineticist's own hit points, depending on how much power you put into the effect your maximum hit points are reduced and can only be restored on a rest. I probably wouldn't port that bit over to 5e though there were bonuses dependent on how much burn you'd taken so it had a somewhat interesting risk/reward mechanic.
hit die instead?

G

Guest 6801328

Yeah, I like this idea. It's always bugged me how close the wizard and sorcerer are. A spell-free Sorcerer would have been awesome.

They would need some kind of utility/versatility. Maybe something like Warlock invocations? So they get to pick some special abilities at higher levels?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I have not played one yet, but the 5E warlock looks like a watered down version of the original. I think the 3E warlock would be close to what you want.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I use the Warmage from Mage Hand Press (found here: Warmage Redux) for a spellcaster without spell slots. It uses cantrips, with a scaling damage feature, as its main attack feature, and gains warlock style invocations which give utility options.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I've always like wizard concepts that did away with spell slots. I'd rather using ramping effects gated behind a fatigue mechanic of some kind. Or something like that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I've always like wizard concepts that did away with spell slots. I'd rather using ramping effects gated behind a fatigue mechanic of some kind. Or something like that.
one could also ramp with multi-round actions or spells like the malediction invokers where you were affected by casting the spell. Like being a bit stun during the round afterwards.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Is there one that you recommend
Yes and no. There isn't a 5e exemplar that works like I describe, but the magic mechanic in some other games does. What I was envisioning was, for example, a wizard knows evocation. He has a list of effects that he can apply to a spell - dice of damage, range, AOE, etc. The more effects the slower the spell, and if the number of effects is higher than X, where X is some sort of capability gated by level, the character has to make an exhaustion test or something similar after he casts his spell. At leveled intervals the character would probably get to add an effect for no cost, so a higher level wizard casts a fast spell with more effect than a lower level wizard. Wizards would start with one or two schools and branch out as they level.

The different schools would have different effects of course. The idea would be to try an capture the main functionality of the current school spell list and convert into sliding scale effects, Wizards could try to upcast past their level of competency, but with scaling negative conditions and effects, possibly even on a successful cast. Additional abilities can be added either via leveled abilities as in current subclasses or even via feats. Metamagic type stuff for example.

aco175

Legend
It seems a bit like an archer build from 3e with feats. You could have a few base spells/cantrips that scale with level. Each new level of spells would allow for new ways to use those base spells, similar to metamagic. I use the spell slots to boost the base spells and do cooler things.

A base spell could be fire bolt. I can use a 1st level slot to make it deal lightning or cold damage instead. A 2nd level slot allows me to attack 2 targets, or change it to a close burst 1 power. 3rd level might repligate more of a fireball or cone power.

You also have class powers that can be chosen from a list or given. The wizard power where you sculpt spell is good. Another could be vampyric or even healing.

Remove ads