A New D&D Book in 2019: Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual!

Penny Arcade is Releasing an Officially Liscensed Third Party D&D Book Apparently, Penny Arcade is releasing a fully licensed book about Acquisitions, Inc. https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/18/dungeons-and-dragons-penny-arcade-acquisitions-inc-dungeon-manual/

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I really want to know what's going to be in this. It sounds like there will be various NPCs or character write ups of people from the series and weird items which must be something like the documancy documents and perhaps the magical horse they use to pull their carriage. I definitely think this will be an interesting book and I'm looking forward to finding out more about it.

neobolts

Explorer
I have been reading PA since the start, and while Gabe occasionally says something ignorant, PA is overall a bunch of charitable progressive Seattleites.

In addition to the wecomic and conventions, they started the Child's Play charity, and have a line of video games and tabletop games. The most recent tabletop game, Thornwatch, is a "RPG in a box" type deal like the Pathfinder ones. Gabe's latest homebrew seems neato too: https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2019/01/14/my-new-dd-campaign

Brodie

Explorer
Personally, I like seeing something from one medium make into another that fans can make use of (if they so choose). The Tal'Dorei Campaign from Critical Role, Acquisitions Inc, Dragon Age, World of Warcraft (be it the D&D 3rd Edition rules or the homebrewed 5E project), etc. It gives fans rules to work from if they want to play in a specific setting or need some basis to build upon for an idea they had.

For example, I'm running a 5E WoW game and I want to run my group through the storyline of Legion - the last expansion. The hard part was that I had no idea how to do the artifact weapons until a friend told me to just use the rules of the Vestiges from Critical Role. Brilliant idea.

That said, not everything that makes it into the RPG world from another medium is all that spectacular and interesting. I've never watched more than 5 minutes of a single AI show, and that was because seeing them come out in ridiculous costumes for the sake of ridiculous costumes kinda turned me off. If I ever see a copy laying around somewhere, I'll probably look through it for a laugh, though.

BBShockwave

First Post
I keep seeing this Aquisitions Inc everywhere and even checked a few of their videos but I still had no idea what this even was, a fanfic, a RPG session, an animation pilot... it wasn't funny enough to be parody and it was just a bit baffling why WotC kept promoting this. I mean, the guys kept acting like they are a modern world company in a fantasy world... and who wants to do real world stuff in fantasy?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I keep seeing this Aquisitions Inc everywhere and even checked a few of their videos but I still had no idea what this even was, a fanfic, a RPG session, an animation pilot... it wasn't funny enough to be parody and it was just a bit baffling why WotC kept promoting this. I mean, the guys kept acting like they are a modern world company in a fantasy world... and who wants to do real world stuff in fantasy?

I listened to the podcasts while running, and enjoyed the origins of Jim Darkmagic, and the development of Acq Inc.

It felt very natural and was very funny. Some of it grew forced in later episodes with the hiring of "temps" and it lost some of the shine for me.

But overall it felt like the natural growth of real people playing characters, and was enjoyable.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Jerry Holkins is a long-time D&D friend. His colleague, co-founder of Penny Arcade, Mike Krahulik had never played. So, they thought it would be fun to introduce Mike to D&D and make a podcast of it. Scott Kurtz, who was working at PA at the time joined and they got Chris Perkins (PA is in Seattle) to DM. It drew enough fans that they tried to run it as a live game at their Penny Arcade Convention (PAX). It was a hit and has grown since then.

Personally, I love the live events and those are all I watch. I don't try to keep up with all the weekly streams.

I miss the chemistry that the original group has but I still enjoy the shows. Think of it as improv through D&D but with gamers instead of professional actors. It works so well because Jerry and Mike are quick wits and Chris Perkins and Jeremy Crawford are excellent DMs.

The fan base is impressive and they have streamed live at movie theaters. WotC obviously sees a sizable market with this fandom, which I why they are backing it.

This is just the latest way they have embraced the strong base of D&D streamers.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Jerry Holkins is a long-time D&D friend. His colleague, co-founder of Penny Arcade, Mike Krahulik had never played. So, they thought it would be fun to introduce Mike to D&D and make a podcast of it. Scott Kurtz, who was working at PA at the time joined and they got Chris Perkins (PA is in Seattle) to DM. It drew enough fans that they tried to run it as a live game at their Penny Arcade Convention (PAX). It was a hit and has grown since then.

Personally, I love the live events and those are all I watch. I don't try to keep up with all the weekly streams.

I miss the chemistry that the original group has but I still enjoy the shows. Think of it as improv through D&D but with gamers instead of professional actors. It works so well because Jerry and Mike are quick wits and Chris Perkins and Jeremy Crawford are excellent DMs.

The fan base is impressive and they have streamed live at movie theaters. WotC obviously sees a sizable market with this fandom, which I why they are backing it.

This is just the latest way they have embraced the strong base of D&D streamers.
I love the antics of Patrick Rothfuss. It's bled over to the c-team where Patrick texts the players with crazy ideas for them to try and in the process infuriate Jerry Holkins.

Nigel Guest

First Post
Well,
here's what they say on the matter if you haven't read the article:

Penny Arcade is releasing an officially licensed Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual. The new publication will allow players to franchise their very own branch of Acquisitions Incorporated for use in their own game. Details are a bit scarce about what the new book will contain, but GeekWire noted that it will contain new "character positions" presumably related to their rank within Acquisitions Incorporated.
Notably, Acquisitions Incorporated is billed as an "official" third-party book for Dungeons & Dragons. While plenty of publishers have released third-party supplements for D&D, this will be one of the first non-Wizards of the Coast or TSR books to use the Dungeons & Dragons branding. Most third party supplements refer to D&D as the "oldest tabletop roleplaying game" or the "greatest tabletop roleplaying game" as they can't legally use the game's name and certain intellectual property owned by Wizards of the Coast. According to Penny Arcade, this allowed the company to publish the Manual without using Kickstarter.

Could be interesting. Could be not.

gyor

Legend
Well,
here's what they say on the matter if you haven't read the article:

Penny Arcade is releasing an officially licensed Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual. The new publication will allow players to franchise their very own branch of Acquisitions Incorporated for use in their own game. Details are a bit scarce about what the new book will contain, but GeekWire noted that it will contain new "character positions" presumably related to their rank within Acquisitions Incorporated.
Notably, Acquisitions Incorporated is billed as an "official" third-party book for Dungeons & Dragons. While plenty of publishers have released third-party supplements for D&D, this will be one of the first non-Wizards of the Coast or TSR books to use the Dungeons & Dragons branding. Most third party supplements refer to D&D as the "oldest tabletop roleplaying game" or the "greatest tabletop roleplaying game" as they can't legally use the game's name and certain intellectual property owned by Wizards of the Coast. According to Penny Arcade, this allowed the company to publish the Manual without using Kickstarter.

Could be interesting. Could be not.

"Getting to put our stamp on a little corner of the Forgotten Realms."

Am I the only one who doesn't like that Aquistions Inc. is officially canon in FR?

Remove ads

Remove ads