D&D 5E A noteworty gripe for 5e

Joe Liker

First Post
The method and extent of attribution was probably in the artists' contract when they agreed to let WotC use their work in its book. They are -- almost by definition -- not offended by any of this. If it had bothered them as much as it seems to bother some readers, they could have told WotC to stuff it.

The artists are all listed on p. 2. Anyone interested in fantasy art should probably become familiar with most of those names, anyway, so start googling.

Also, you should consider coming to Spectrum Fantastic Art Live in Kansas City sometime. I'm not directly involved with the show, but I love attending. It is a marvelous experience, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Agamon

Adventurer
The method and extent of attribution was probably in the artists' contract when they agreed to let WotC use their work in its book. They are -- almost by definition -- not offended by any of this. If it had bothered them as much as it seems to bother some readers, they could have told WotC to stuff it.

The artists are all listed on p. 2. Anyone interested in fantasy art should probably become familiar with most of those names, anyway, so start googling.

Also, you should consider coming to Spectrum Fantastic Art Live in Kansas City sometime. I'm not directly involved with the show, but I love attending. It is a marvelous experience, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I was going to post this, myself. But don't forget where we are. On the internet, righteous indignation flows like water. :)

Moorcrys

Explorer
I think the MM art was pretty stellar. And I'm into the DMG art. A few pieces in the PH weren't my favorite but even there most of it I liked more when I had the book in my hands as opposed to when I pored over the preview art releases on my computer. They look better to me in the context of the whole book - I don't know if that's odd or not...

Moorcrys

Explorer
I didn't like the behir art. There - I said it. I love that iconic Lost Caverns of Tsjojcanth behir on the cover of that module and wish they'd have stayed with that kind of nasty.

MechaPilot

Explorer
It doesn't really bother me.

The interior artists are credited at the beginning of the book, so it's not as if they aren't receiving any credit for their work. Also, it's not as if I'm a big consumer of art in the form of ordering prints.

Remove ads