D&D 5E A question for fellow long time Forgotten Realms fans.

Mirtek

Hero
I am really unhappy. Sad to see how basically all the spirit of optimism that they kindled on the FR fansites with their announcements up to the Sundering has died down again. Where the activity and post briefly flared up to almost pre-4e level, it quickly became quite and deserted again once it was clear that almost now new lore would be forthcoming. The ending of the novel line just was another nail in the coffin.

I haven't played D&D in months and in the past that was the norm for me, but unlike today I had the novels and sourcebooks to read to have the metaplot continuing to unfold for me. Now I am getting less and less exited about each new release.

Guess for me D&D the game was always second (or even less) to D&D as a fiction setting (treating sourcebooks as support of the fiction, buying the majority without any intend to ever use them for an actual game of D&D). I hope the Chult part of ToA will have some more lore about the current state of the realms, the adventure itself doesn't interest me at all. I already put TotYP straight from the amazon box into the shelf, only buying it as collective item.

JeffB

Legend
I'm a fan of the early materials, yes.

It's been going in the wrong direction since the dawn of second edition ;)

I'm not happy with all the transplanting of previous themes re-fluffed into FR. But I think the idea of doing little gazeteer sections like in SKT, and supposedly something similar in the upcoming ToA, is very cool. Focusing on the setting in small detailed chunks, instead of yet another core setting guide.

SCAG is a good product, but I don't need it with all the material I already own. I also loved The Adventure Begins, which did the same sort of thing as SCAG, but with GH back in 1998.

CM

Adventurer
FR was always a kitchen sink setting. I don't see how throwing in the bathroom sink as well is going to harm anything.

Remathilis

Legend
Not sure if I could as "long term" (I got into it late 90s with the BG/IWD games) but...

Yes, yes I do.

1.) The world has effectively been "reset" to a status-quo. All the deities lost to the Spellplague AND the Time of Troubles are back, the map has returned to a 2e/3e hybrid, and anything they added in 4e (tieflings and dragonborn) has been kept, though dialed back. Right now, I can run 1e adventures, 2e, 3e, or even some 4e without much worry about "Is this god/character dead?" Its the closest FR has gotten to a "static" mode in a long time.

2.) The metaplot is driven by the APs, not the modules. As such, the PCs are far more directly involved than previously. Its the PCs who banish the demon-lords, stop the Cult of the Dragon, or stop Imyrith's plot, not Drizz't or Elminster. Sure, they're still there, but the PCS really do feel important.

3.) As a side effect of getting into the Realms via video gaming, I'm very familiar with the Sword Coast; far moreso than the Dalelands or Cormyr. As such, names like Candlekeep, Neverwinter, Amn, or Baldur's Gate are far more memorable, and thus the soft focus on that area has been a good jumping on point. Though I am glad the next AP is in Chult, as a change of pace.

4.) Turning the Realms into the ultimate kitchen sink actually has got me leaving my homebrewed world for it. Now, to be fair, my homebrew was already a kitchen sink world modeled off Mystara or Golarion style "kingdoms of hats", so Faerun isn't a giant jump. Its wonderful I can buy any 5e book and plug it in, no adjustments needed. It saves me a lot of time, plus it has prettier maps than I can muster.

Its by no means perfect, and I still have a soft spot for Eberron (the first non-homebrew setting I really ran), but I'm generally happy with Faerun as the "default setting" for 5e and I think WotC is doing a decent job with it.

gyor

Legend
That really stuck out! I mean, I s'pose a person could be Ed Greenwood and/or a player of Ed Greenwood's. Here at enworld, you never know!

Or, perhaps, someone remembered the very first Dragon Magazine article which referred to it, around 1979.

But almost every person extant didn't really start "playing" in the FR until 1987.

Still, if you played in FR prior to 1987, I'd love to hear about it!

1987 to 1989 still counts as the 80's.

gyor

Legend
I'd have to honestly ask: what direction? Other than the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which was good, but no replacement for a real setting book), nothing has really given us any information on the actual state of the Realms. The adventures are pretty much focused only what's needed for the adventure, rather than giving information on the Realms. The novels have been cancelled AFAIK, so no more stories to drive the details. Really, the only "direction" I see the Realms going is suffering from a plague of world threatening events...

Yes! The Realms needs a FRCG, the SCAG was just the player accessory that goes with it. They don't have to call it a FRCG however the way they didn't want to call Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Unearthed Arcana even though everyone knows it basically is, or Volo's Guide to Monsters a Monster Manuel even though it is (a bit with a twist).

They could call it the Alamac to Faerun (or if they really want to be bold and inclusive, Alamac to Abier Toril).

gyor

Legend
Not sure if I could as "long term" (I got into it late 90s with the BG/IWD games) but...

Yes, yes I do.

1.) The world has effectively been "reset" to a status-quo. All the deities lost to the Spellplague AND the Time of Troubles are back, the map has returned to a 2e/3e hybrid, and anything they added in 4e (tieflings and dragonborn) has been kept, though dialed back. Right now, I can run 1e adventures, 2e, 3e, or even some 4e without much worry about "Is this god/character dead?" Its the closest FR has gotten to a "static" mode in a long time.

2.) The metaplot is driven by the APs, not the modules. As such, the PCs are far more directly involved than previously. Its the PCs who banish the demon-lords, stop the Cult of the Dragon, or stop Imyrith's plot, not Drizz't or Elminster. Sure, they're still there, but the PCS really do feel important.

3.) As a side effect of getting into the Realms via video gaming, I'm very familiar with the Sword Coast; far moreso than the Dalelands or Cormyr. As such, names like Candlekeep, Neverwinter, Amn, or Baldur's Gate are far more memorable, and thus the soft focus on that area has been a good jumping on point. Though I am glad the next AP is in Chult, as a change of pace.

4.) Turning the Realms into the ultimate kitchen sink actually has got me leaving my homebrewed world for it. Now, to be fair, my homebrew was already a kitchen sink world modeled off Mystara or Golarion style "kingdoms of hats", so Faerun isn't a giant jump. Its wonderful I can buy any 5e book and plug it in, no adjustments needed. It saves me a lot of time, plus it has prettier maps than I can muster.

Its by no means perfect, and I still have a soft spot for Eberron (the first non-homebrew setting I really ran), but I'm generally happy with Faerun as the "default setting" for 5e and I think WotC is doing a decent job with it.

On the surface the world has been reset the way it was, but when you dig deeper, 5e realms is kind of it's own beast very much, because various Gods are back, but some of these Gods we're from different times and never interacted with each other. And while events has played out that lead many parts of the forgotten realms to end up resembling 1e/2e, they recent past didn't just disappear, it's left it's mark on everyone.

Mulhorand is back, but the Mulhorandi Gods are far more active then back in 2e, and they are united for the first time since Orcgate wars millennia ago, and slavery, which included the massive part of Mulhorand's population in previous editions, has been a eliminated. I mean Horus-Ra is two separate gods now, and Nazram the World Walker is acting almost like a peer with these Gods and he's been gone for Millennia as well, walking the planes long before 1e.

Also Mulhorand's population seems very divided compared to it's history, you have Mulhorandi who ended up trapped in Abier and who enslaved the Untherites, under orders from Genasi and Dragonborn, who have Mulhorandi who didn't go to Abier and they ended up living under Imaskari rule, and then you have a Mulhorandi Disporia of those who fled the area during the spellplague returning.

Dambrath is still very much in 4e mode, barbarian tribes with Lycsnthropes avoiding abandoned Crinti cities, the Crinti don't seem to be making a peep from where ever they are hiding (probably the underdark).

Unther just reappeared, replacing most of Tymanther, accept for two major cities and odds and ends locations. Unther spent a century as slaves till their GodKing returned (it's a mystery if it's the original Gilgeam reborn or someone who simply found a way to take Gilgeams power for himself). You have In the site Gods returning as well, including ones gone for millennia.

Cormyr has a new Queen who is dealing with the after math of the Shadovar War.

Myth Drannar is in ruins again, but this time with Shade on top of it, Shade a city that was very much a living city in previous editions, creating a very strange mega dungeon.

Algorond still has the political system it had in 4e, but other then that it hasn't changed much between editions aside from an influx of Tiefling refugees from Thay.

Mulgoholm is still ruled by Dragon Princes.

Calimshan is pining for the Chosen of Ilmater that liberated it from the Djinn and Efferti.

Mezro in Chult is in another dimension.

Halruaa, a Magecracy, just spent a century in Abier a world with no Weave of Magic, and then returned ready for business.

Maztica is back, possibly with a few parts of Abier attached to it, AO was a bit sloppy with the Sundering. The Tabaxi now worship the cat lord and between that and weird stuff happening in Maztica Taxabi are visiting Faerun in numbers, something the previously isolationist Tabaxi didn't do before.

And and their are still ways to visit Abeir.

That Warlock Knights from 4e still rule Vaasa.

Just a taste. 5e is designed to appeal to nostalgia, but it's it own thing, with it's own twists.

ccs

41st lv DM
So WoTC is stealing stuff from other editions/settings & sticking it in the FR.

So what? I've been doing that longer than they've been in bussiness.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases