D&D 5E A simple Grapple Poll

Is grappling best represented by Athletics or Proficiency (attack)?

• STR (Athletics) only

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • STR or DEX (Athletics)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Proficiency (own attack category)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Proficiency (simple weapons)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other (PLEASE post what and why!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You can vote for two options. Here is how I am defining the options if you want to vote:
  • STR (Athletics) is the RAW default
  • STR/DEX (Athletics) is for people who feel grappling can be done as much by agility, etc. as by power
  • Proficiency (own attack category) is meant to treat Grappling as its own special category, akin to Unarmed Strikes which everyone is proficient in.
  • Proficiency (simple weapons) means you need proficiency in simple weapons to apply your proficiency bonus to grappling.
  • Proficeincy (martial weapons) means you need proficiency in martial weapons to apply your proficiency bonus to grappling.
  • Other is, well,---other. Please explain in your post.

My goal is to establish a base for a set of grappling, restraining, submission, and escape rules. I want them to be as simple as possible but more useful than the limited (albeit strong) options we already have.

Thanks!

Stormonu

Legend
I use a Proficiency (Simple Weapons) for the attack roll and replace a damage roll with an opposed ability check. The attacker only needs to hit once; once the grapple is initiated the two remain locked until one side or the other gets free.

Grab/Restrain - Athletics (STR) vs. Athletics (STR) or Acrobatics (DEX); target is Restrained
Pull/Shove - Athletics (STR) vs. Athletics (STR); target can be moved 1/2 speed
Submission - Athletics (STR) vs. Athletics (STR); target takes STR damage, x2 at 5th, x3 at 11th (can use light/small weapons in the attack)
Escape - Athletics (STR) or Acrobatics (DEX) vs Athletics (STR); target escapes grapple

I used this in a one-shot Castle Ravenloft game; the party was attacked by gargoyles. The gargoyles kept trying to grab the characters, taking them up to the roof, and then drop them. It made quite an exciting and terrifying combat (50’ high roof).

You can vote for two options. Here is how I am defining the options if you want to vote:
  • STR (Athletics) is the RAW default
  • STR/DEX (Athletics) is for people who feel grappling can be done as much by agility, etc. as by power
  • Proficiency (own attack category) is meant to treat Grappling as its own special category, akin to Unarmed Strikes which everyone is proficient in.
  • Proficiency (simple weapons) means you need proficiency in simple weapons to apply your proficiency bonus to grappling.
  • Proficeincy (martial weapons) means you need proficiency in martial weapons to apply your proficiency bonus to grappling.
  • Other is, well,---other. Please explain in your post.

My goal is to establish a base for a set of grappling, restraining, submission, and escape rules. I want them to be as simple as possible but more useful than the limited (albeit strong) options we already have.

Thanks!
I think that it should be an int + dex roll divided by two then rounded up to a whole number to establish and the same thing but str + con to maintain.

To break it should be the same but str + int.

For any of these checks martial proficiency should add a + 5 mod.

My reasoning is that this seems to fit according to my experience with martial arts. Its a very mental thing more often than not mixed with dex or str to establish or break and maintaining is mostly decided by str and con (once the hold is established, provided its a tight hold that has already reduced most movement. There is something to be said for instances in which the grapple is established but the bodies arent in a tight orientation though. That would make maintating it more of a mix of int dex and con. In all instances of con im using it as a proxy for endurance.)

Remove ads