D&D 5E A Slower Caster Spell Progression and other Suggestions

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So what is the difference between only using half-casters and slowing down full casters progression to a more moderate level???

Is it the bells and whistles that half casters have over full casters??

Yaarel

He Mage
So what is the difference between only using half-casters and slowing down full casters progression to a more moderate level???

The difference is, both the halfcasters and their spells participate fully in combat. There are no subpar classes.

So far, your versions of the fullcaster Wizard are significantly underpowered. Lacking balance.

HammerMan

Legend

I think you need to beef up the other things full casters can do if you are going to cut them down to half caster...

I still think an artificer and a warlock are where we should be starting... some amalgam of them with the ability to keep a spell book do rituals and prep spells could make up a mage, then from there back engineer other classes.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The difference is, both the halfcasters and their spells participate fully in combat.
They still would.

There are no subpar classes.
There still isn't.

So far, your versions of the fullcaster Wizard are significantly underpowered.
No, casters as the are are currently overpowered.

Lacking balance.
I am restoring the balance.

That might not be to your liking, but all these threads show how many people recognize full casters are way more powerful than other classes and overshadow them, especially in tiers 3 and 4, which is primarily where I am focused on the nerfs...

I think you need to beef up the other things full casters can do if you are going to cut them down to half caster...
Giving them more slots/ spells would seem to compensate them pretty well.

Imaging using a half-caster spell progression, but doubling all the spell slots?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Giving them more slots/ spells would seem to compensate them pretty well.

Imaging using a half-caster spell progression, but doubling all the spell slots?
I'd use the Artificer as a base spellcaster, using its features to give actual features to full spellcasters, things like Flash of Genius is perfect for a wizard, spell-storing items could be a high level feature (say lvl 11 or 14 ish) for main spellcaster (wizard, cleric, druid). Replicate magic items would also be a nice feature to compensate for slower spell progression. I'd also remove damaging cantrips in favor of majoring the upcasting of damage spells OR have them use limited spell slots.

levelCantrips1st2nd3rd4th5th

And there's another solution:

Now, for 6th level spells and higher: did anyone realize that both Limited Wish and Divine Intervention prescribe a high level spell being usable once in 1d4 long rests or even 7 days?

So one could have a somewhat normal spell progression up to 5th level spells, then have 1 x 6th level spell slot per 1d4 long rests, 1 x 7th level spell slot per 1d4 rests, and 1 x 8th level, then have 1x 9th level spell once per 7 days.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

Yes, definitely.

Edit: To clarify, I think that full casters are too strong compared to martials around late Tier 2 till endgame. But a class change that lopped down a wizard to 2/3 casting and didn't give anything back would be a little too weak, and honestly is just less fun than giving a different experience.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I look forward to seeing all your exciting third party products on the DM's Guild soon. That, or talking about your homebrew, is all this thread can possibly be about.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I look forward to seeing all your exciting third party products on the DM's Guild soon. That, or talking about your homebrew, is all this thread can possibly be about.
Ok, honestly, I can't tell from the tone of the post if you are being genuine or sarcastic...? :confused:

I could see it going either way, considering a lot of the both positive and negative feedback. :)

As for what this thread is about... well, it can digress to whatever, but since I am the OP (and it got necro'd a bit, the stuff in the OP isn't where I am at anymore...), it makes sense the main gist would be about the homebrew with others offering their versions or input. 🤷‍♂️

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Ok, honestly, I can't tell from the tone of the post if you are being genuine or sarcastic...? :confused:

I could see it going either way, considering a lot of the both positive and negative feedback. :)

As for what this thread is about... well, it can digress to whatever, but since I am the OP (and it got necro'd a bit, the stuff in the OP isn't where I am at anymore...), it makes sense the main gist would be about the homebrew with others offering their versions or input. 🤷‍♂️
Oh, I'm quite sincere. I just want to make it clear that homebrew and/or third party products are, imo, the only path to this kind of content. WotC is way too corporate to touch any of it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases