D&D 4E A thought on WotC's imperative to continue to digitally support 4e.

Nagol

Unimportant
I agree that there'd be no more development, but do you think it would be costly (or otherwise resource consuming in a meaningful way) for them to keep the static product going?

There are always costs.

Software licensing, storage, hardware refresh, systems to validate that the servers are running and the applications are responsive, operations staff to monitor, adjust, and repair the inevitable failures all come with a cost.

Is that cost high? Probably not since WotC runs a larger farm for its Magic side, but it does exist.

Likely, they'll keep running 4e DDI so long as the subscriptions are high enough to offer enough of a premium above those costs and then they'll announce a future date shut down.

If 5e flops and DDI subscriptions don't warrant keeping the whole digital initative alive then it'll get pulled faster as the whole cost is certainly much higher than the portion that would be charged to 4e life-support.

Nagol

Unimportant
Agreed. It was my understanding that DDI relied on Silverlight, to which Microsoft has yet to formally commit future resources. All it would take would be one OS update, to potentially kill any current software offerings. I would be wary of any online tools unless they were based on HTML5.

That being said, iTunes has spoiled me. I don't care for subscription-based services. If I purchase rulebooks, errata, fanzines, or the like I do not want them to disappear, simply because I cancel a subscription.

The same goes for a VTT. I should be able to purchase the software required and use it freely on my own network. If I want to connect with other players, however, and make use of more powerful tools, I fully understand a monthly subscription.

Although MS hasn't discussed Silverlight after 5, the browser for Windows 8 Metro interface (used for tablets, phones, and such and available for PC installations) won't allow plug-ins like Flash or Silverlight.

HTML5 is the only really option for browser-based stuff going forward.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Windows 8 Metro won't allow plug-ins, however, the Silverlight framework is supposed to be baked in, from what I've read. And you can easily close/move aside Metro for a more familiar version of Windows on regular PCs. Plug-ins aren't quite going anywhere quite yet. Whether or not Silverlight as a plug-in will continue past version 5 hasn't been revealed. But with the push for HTML5, is unlikely.

As to Wizards online support, I think it'd be bad business to eliminate the online 4th ed tools for the time being.

I think that once 5th ed comes out, and regular product support for 4th ends, so will full development for the software, except perhaps for bug-fixes here and there. But as a final product, that entices continued subscriptions for those still playing 4th ed, it's a no brainer to me for them to keep it available.

I'm curious, and hopeful that whatever 5th ed tools are developed, that they've learned some hard lessons on the 4th ed set, and have a proper launch, whenever that is..

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Does supporting grognards slow down the site for the real customers, especially as things like VTT are implemented?

If enough future-grognard 4e players subscribe to DDI that the service slows down for other customers, their numbers would be big enough to generate some substantial income for WotC. Why should they shut down a money-earning service?

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
Don't worry. No one from WotC is going to show up to take your 4e books away. You can keep playing 4e for as long as you like.

Hey people said that about 3.5 too. Guess how that turned out? If WotC isn't going to show us any loyalty, why should we show it to WotC? It's condescending and patronizing comments that led to the rift between Pathfinder and 4E fans in the first place. So please if you feel like making comments like these, stow them, the fanbase is fractured enough already.

And TBH that's exactly what taking down D&D Insider would be doing.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Please note that the first use of the word "forever" was yours.

The OP did not put any time limits on support, or even imply any. My point is that it *will* end. The question is when.

Hey people said that about 3.5 too. Guess how that turned out?

With me having a good bunch of 3.5e content I can still use - that I would use, if I were running a D&D game currently, as Pathfinder turned the dials up a bit too much for my tastes. Did it turn out differently for you?

If WotC isn't going to show us any loyalty, why should we show it to WotC?

I don't think anyone suggested you show anyone any loyalty. As I see it, about all that's been asked is that folks not become actively antagonistic in the face of change. Between "loyal friend" and "enemy" there's this vast stretch of neutrality, ambivalence, and not-giving-a-hoot open to you.

Stoat

Adventurer
I run a 4E game using a 3rd party VTT (d20 Pro). I game with my browser open to the Compendium. It's early, but based on what I've heard so far, I'm fairly meh about 5E.

I think it would be a good move on WotC's part to keep the 4E DDI stuff archived and available to subscribers, I have no real expectation that they'll do so. If they pull the plug, and I haven't switched over to 5E, I'll probably drop my DDI subscription.

Roland55

First Post
Okay, two things:

1) If they are paying subscription fees for DDI, they are real customers.

2) 4e is not old enough to have "grognards".

True, true.

But, young man, some day ... there WILL be 4E grognards.

Personally, I look forward to that day. Though I'll probably not be around to see it.;)

Number48

First Post
First, about loyalty. You want WotC to show loyalty to the 4E fans. From their perspective, they are showing you loyalty by designing a new game for you. They want to please you. If you don't play 5E then that's on you, not them. From their perspective, at least.

I've also thought of another reason that DDI will drop 4E eventually. Because the people paying for DDI will get sick of paying for the subscription every month for so little. People are going to put up/use alternatives online, create their own programs, pirate the information. If they refuse to move on to 5E, many are eventually going to refuse to pay the monthly subscription. In that scenario, WotC ends 4E support because the 4E players simply move on.

Really, how many years are you going to pay for your subscription after 4E is no longer a living game?

Remove ads