A tiny offset to the Frenzy Barbarian's neg?

Motorskills

Explorer
I'm sure I am not the first to propose this, but this seemed a simple and thematic offset, especially for higher-level Frenzy Barbarians that get more Rages per day.

"The effects of Exhaustion do not apply while you are Raging"

jrowland

First Post
Shrug it off: You may spend one use of Rage to lower exhaustion by one step

was a version a player proposed. Never tested in gameplay as he went with fighter.

jgsugden

Legend
The much maligned frenzy does not require an adjustment, to be honest. I played one for an entire campaign and it was fine.

Think of frenzy as a once, perhaps twice, per LR ability.

Regardless, if you feel a need to make this adjustment, it will move the subclass from low in power to higher in power. It should not break anything.

Small adjustments?
Tireless: Berserkers suffer no penalties for the first level of exhaustion, but both penalties when they reach the second level of exhaustion.

I think giving them a different always on effekt would be nicer. That ability is powerful. Its just that youfeel if you don't use it, you have wasted your subclass choice. The totem barbarian gain the ritual casting abilities on top of their totem ability.

Slit518

Adventurer
How about losing 1 level of (we'll call it "Frenzy Exhaustion") on a Short Rest?

"Frenzy Exhaustion" would work like regular exhaustion, except you can lose 1 level on a Short Rest, or all levels of it on a Long Rest.

So for example, a Barbarian that works itself up to a 6th level of exhaustion would be described as fighting so hard that their heart exploded in their chest.

Motorskills

Explorer
The much maligned frenzy does not require an adjustment, to be honest. I played one for an entire campaign and it was fine.

Think of frenzy as a once, perhaps twice, per LR ability.

Regardless, if you feel a need to make this adjustment, it will move the subclass from low in power to higher in power. It should not break anything.

Exhaustion can result from things other than Frenzy, that needs to be remembered.

It just feels unthematic when my guy is Frenzying at half-speed across the board.

Last edited:

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I'd make it the same as Haste. When your frenzied rage ends - lose a turn. And then be a little more of a stickler on conditions that end rage.

Adding to my previous post:

I would just add:
When you take the bonus action on your turn to enter rage, you may make a single weapon attack against an adjacent foe.

That solves 2 problems:
- not being able to use the frenzied berserker bonus attack on your first turn.
- having no advantage whatsoever when you don´t think a fight is hard enoug to justify your frenzy.

Remove ads