D&D 5E Aberrant Mind's Psionic Sorcery is officially the most powerful feature.

Olrox17

Hero
Wrong, following xanathar's rules. Spell Focus and material components reveal spellcasting and can be counterspelled.

Apply 2 metamagic on a Save or Minion is always good and really really powerful.
Xanathar's rules are optional rules in an optional supplement. Yeah, if your group is using those rues, psionic sorcery is the only way to cast a spell with material components and being "immune" to being counterspelled. Cool, I guess? I suppose in the campaigns you play having enemies with counterspell is extremely common. In my last campaign (level 3 - level 11) the party has faced such enemies...probably 2 or 3 times in total. Hardly a concern.

Applying another metamagic to a spell that you are already casting by burning sorcery points is an excellent way to finish your daily points very quickly. So, only a problem for DMs that allow 5 minutes workdays.

Hohige

Explorer
Xanathar's rules are optional rules in an optional supplement. Yeah, if your group is using those rues, psionic sorcery is the only way to cast a spell with material components and being "immune" to being counterspelled. Cool, I guess? I suppose in the campaigns you play having enemies with counterspell is extremely common. In my last campaign (level 3 - level 11) the party has faced such enemies...probably 2 or 3 times in total. Hardly a concern.

Applying another metamagic to a spell that you are already casting by burning sorcery points is an excellent way to finish your daily points very quickly. So, only a problem for DMs that allow 5 minutes workdays.
All outside PHB is optinal.
Probaly not, because the sorcerer can burst low level spells slot into Sorcery Point. It's an efficient way to waste resources.
At level 9, The Sorcerer has 45 spell point to cast. 5 isn't impressive for a day. Each level, a spell point is too strong.
It's literally Spell Point Optional rule with Steroided Subtle Spell.

This is the strongest feature of the game. No competition here.

Stealth metamagicked casting is also viable with Psionic Sorcery. All with a single feature.

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
All outside PHB is optinal.
Probaly not, because the sorcerer can burst low level spells slot into Sorcery Point. It's an efficient way to waste resources.
It's literally Spell Point Optional rule with Steroided Subtle Spell.

This is the strongest feature of the game. No competition here.

Stealth metamagicked casting is also viable with Psionic Sorcery. All with one feature.
A level 6 sorcerer has 6 sorcery points. Casting a 3d level psion spell costs 3, applying twinned (or heightened) spell would cost 3 more. The sorcerer is out of points.
As a bonus action, he spends a 3d level slot and gets 3 points back.
Next round, as a bonus action, he spends another 3d level slot and gets 3 more points back. He's at 6 points again, so he can use his cool combo one more time. He's now at 0 points again, and down 2 3d level slots out of 3.
He also has 4 first level slots and 3 second level slots. All together, his slots can be converted (over multiple rounds or out of combat) into 13 points max, enough to pull off his combo 2 more times today.

So, the ability to throw 4 twinned (or heightened) subtle 3d level spells per day by using all of your resources combined (except 1 first level slot, good for a mage armor or a shield). I'm not convinced.

I think you would be much better off not using metamagic entirely. That way you can cast your regular 3 third level slots, plus 5 more third level spells with your 6+9=15 sorcery points. Assuming the spells that can be casted that way are worth it, of course. Are those spells only divinations and enchantments like in the UA?

Are those spells only divinations and enchantments like in the UA?
I believe so, although there are plenty of good ones. Level 2 seems to be the bingo level. And you can always spam Mind Spike if you just want to kill stuff.

Addendum: looks like Adherent Soul can grab Hex. Clockwork Soul can sneak Armor of Agthys.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
I believe so, although there are plenty of good ones. Level 2 seems to be the bingo level. And you can always spam Mind Spike if you just want to kill stuff.

Addendum: looks like Adherent Soul can grab Hex. Clockwork Soul can sneak Armor of Agthys.

Using his new buffed Spell Point Variant.
The Aberrant Mind can spam. Yes literally spam Dissonant Whisper (1 Sorcery Points only) and Mind Spike.
Spam Dissonant Whisper like a cantrip and The creature Will take a lot of Oportunity Attacks. Your party will Love It!! You also can twin It for 1sp only.
The victim takes a good amount of damage, lose his tactical position and The Aberrant Mind' party will hit him with Oportunity Attack (Good combo with War caster feat). Twin It for more love.
On a real game, Its a lot of cheap and deadly (for The victim).
You also can cast it while hidden, without reveal himself.
If you want kill an enemy with impunity Psionic Mind Spike and Psionic Sleep is must to go.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
In-depth analysis:
  • Aberrant Mind: Best Mind Control of the game: Check.
  • Steroid Suble spell + Other Metamagic on a spell: Check.
  • Metamagic. Check
  • Careful Fear/Hypnotic Pattern: Check
  • Acess to Wish (Acess to simulacrum and other amazing spells): Check
  • Strongest Stealth Casting of the game: Check
  • Improved "Spell point version" with free psionic sorcery: Check
  • More Spell known than the Wizard's Prepared spells. Check
  • Uncounterable spells, making him almost invincible in a magical duel. Check
  • Fly and hover? Check
  • Spam useful spells like Dissonant Whister, Sleep, Tasha's Laught, Mind Spike like cantrip. Check.
  • Expertise with Stealth + Sorcerer's Magical Guidance (Reroll a failed skill check) is one of strongest skill monkey of the game and the most reliable Sneaky Casting Mage. Check
  • Quicken Polymorph (Bonus action to transform into a giant ape and action to multiattack) or Twin for strongest melee at tier 2. Check
  • Best assassin in the game with, Psionic Mind Spike, Sleep and Synaptic Static.

For me, this is the most powerful and versatile class in the game. Any comparison is unfair.

Hohige

Explorer
You do realise that if your DM shares your assessment, then actually playing this subclass would be a terrible idea. Since if you do play it your DM will consider you a filthy powergamer and take every opportunity to crap on your character?

As a player, I wouldn't go so deep in powerplay as to overtake my party. I would cast powerful spells to make my party happy. Twin Polymorph? Check. Spam Psionic Dissonant Whisper (For sweet party's Opportunity attack). Psionic Dominate Person to control an enemy like a puppet. Stealth casting to avoid be targeted. Careful Fear / Hypnotic Pattern. With these choices you will be very powerful and your team will have fun.
A lot of divination to solve problems. Your party will love you.
If you are too deep in powerplay and leave your party behind, then it is toxic. Play with your team and not alone.

If you go on a solo mission or it is next to a TPK. Destroy the enemy with all your power in combat or not..
It's your time to shine.

Last edited:

Remove ads