• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Aberrant Mind's Psionic Sorcery is officially the most powerful feature.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Convert low level spells slots into Sorcery Points. Its called Sorcerer' Flexible Casting.

Yes; and if and when your subtle dominate fails, you have a very likely aggressive creature and no currently available points to help rectify it, because you use all of your immediately available points for this little trick.

Anyway - the magic detecters would know who did it and apply a smackdown. (The rules don't say detect magic doesn't work that way), And the dopplegangers would merely laugh. Or better yet, play along until the moment they stab the person giving them "commands" in the face.

It goes back to DM rulings, some DMs might be lenient enough to let some things happen. But it's very reasonable for a DM to allow Insight checks to notice both when anything is cast while in view, or if someone is suddenly doing something questionable.

If one wants to sneak in casting such a spell that comes down to there being no components, I'd still say they're required to make a Charisma (Deception) check against any Wisdom (Insight) checks to cast it unnoticed. Yes I know if it's a sorcerer that is into mental manipulation, they probably have a good Deception Check, but I feel they should still have to work for it by making a Deception check.

Hohige

Explorer
It goes back to DM rulings, some DMs might be lenient enough to let some things happen. But it's very reasonable for a DM to allow Insight checks to notice both when anything is cast while in view, or if someone is suddenly doing something questionable.

If one wants to sneak in casting such a spell that comes down to there being no components, I'd still say they're required to make a Charisma (Deception) check against any Wisdom (Insight) checks to cast it unnoticed. Yes I know if it's a sorcerer that is into mental manipulation, they probably have a good Deception Check, but I feel they should still have to work for it by making a Deception check.
Following xanathar's rules. No components, then, The spellcasting is undetectable.

jgsugden

Legend
I recall the Mystic Theurge. In 3E, they released a new option that allowed someone to advance as both a wizard and cleric. Essentially a 12th level PC could have all the spell slots and spell selection of both a 9th level cleric and a 9th level wizard.

The internet was aghast and shocked at how ridiculously overpowered the prestige class was! It ruined the game! Nobody would ever play a pure Wizard or Cleric again!

As hilarious as the Enworld was, the WotC board was worse. I'm sure it is preserved somewhere if anyone wants to find it.

6 months later, it was hardly discussed and nobody considered it overpowered. A lot of people looked ridiculous for claiming it ruined the game and that everyone would play a Mystic Theurge.

If you think something is broken, play it for a bit before you make the claim. More often than not, the professional game designers did their job right and it isn't.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
Yes; and if and when your subtle dominate fails, you have a very likely aggressive creature and no currently available points to help rectify it, because you use all of your immediately available points for this little trick.

Anyway - the magic detecters would know who did it and apply a smackdown. (The rules don't say detect magic doesn't work that way), And the dopplegangers would merely laugh. Or better yet, play along until the moment they stab the person giving them "commands" in the face.
Agressive? Why? The enemy cant see any spellcasting or agressive action.
No, detect Magic doesnt reveal who casted or any spellcasting evidence. Also Its only 30ft. Unfortunely.
Limitless Minions with detect Magic at will is pretty hard metagame and useless.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
The rules as presented. Its The strongest feature of the entire game.
Obviously, your DM can adjust it or not.
But, If you are an Aberrant Mind. its you job.

Olrox17

Hero
@Hohige Dude, all the stuff you've been freaking out about was already possible with subtle spell (straight outta the PHB!), which, btw, only costs 1 sorcery point and is thus vastly more efficient. How did your group deal with a sorcerer with subtle spell until yesterday? You can deal with psionic sorcery the same way.

NotAYakk

Legend
@Hohige Dude, all the stuff you've been freaking out about was already possible with subtle spell (straight outta the PHB!), which, btw, only costs 1 sorcery point and is thus vastly more efficient. How did your group deal with a sorcerer with subtle spell until yesterday? You can deal with psionic sorcery the same way.
The aberrant mind one can also heighten or twin!

GASP

(note that the aberrant mind is better off casting suggestion twice out of combat than heightening one cast; it is cheaper)

---

The SP cost to use the Aberrant Mind's spells is a bit of a red herring. It is 1 SP per spell level, which is the same you get by melting down spell slots into SP. Basically, the AM can cast those spells using a spell point system.

Remove ads