D&D 5E Aberrant Mind's Psionic Sorcery is officially the most powerful feature.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The existence of a 24-hour time limit on some spells isn't relevant to whether Concentration can be maintained through a Short Rest.

The only relevant thing is "Is Concentration more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds?"

NotAYakk

Legend
There’s no rule to that effect, and in fact the existence of spells like Hex and Hunter’s Mark that can be concentrated on for 24 hours would seem to counter-indicate this notion. A long rest, on the other hand, would break concentration because it requires sleeping, and you have to be conscious to maintain concentration.
And a number of races can even rest without sleeping (becoming incapacitated, hence breaking concentration).
In play, there is no chance this is game breaking.
It can be fun.

You can use suggestion with a merchant, like "Offer me a half off discount, because you really want to sell this". On a failed save it just sounds like words; on success, that could pass the reasonable test (for some goods).

Kurotowa

Legend
The existence of a 24-hour time limit on some spells isn't relevant to whether Concentration can be maintained through a Short Rest.

The only relevant thing is "Is Concentration more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds?"

Yes, that is the relevant question, and no, I don't believe it is. And I'm usually one that's all for keeping the casters in check. Nothing about Concentration suggestions it's in any way strenuous. And after a little googling, here's an archived Mike Mearls tweet from 2014 saying Concentration doesn't prevent a Short Rest.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Indeed. Checking the PHB, the Concentration rules on p203 say nothing about preventing Short Rests, and the Short Rest rules on p186 only say it requires the PC "does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds."

This isn't the first time I've seen people confused about Concentration. In fact, at my own table I've had people who need reminders that Concentration doesn't cost an action or impose a penalty to other actions. I don't know if they're conflating it with mechanics in other editions or other systems or what.
Could be other systems, house rules DMs they’ve played under have used that they’ve just assumed were RAW, or some combination of the two.

NotAYakk

Legend
Yeah, though in those cases the intended interaction isn’t always entirely clear.
Incapacitation ends concentration. Sleeping causes incapacitation.

Meditation and the like does not, as far as I know.

The benefit isn't huge; save a single slot over a long rest for L 17+ rangers concentrating on HM is about it.

Hohige

Explorer
In play, there is no chance this is game breaking.
You should try to play an evil ir chaotic character that can cast Subtle Mind Spike that literally defeat a creature with impunity and now with Psionic Sorcery Its cheaper and can be combined with other metamagics.
You will see how awesome is Psionic Detect Through/Suggestion and Psionic Sleep at low level.
Psionic Mind Spike +sleep is insane defeat and / or steal that weapon +3.
The Power to apply steroided Subtle spell and other metamagic shouldnt be ignored that cant be countered.

The idea that an Insight check without an action required to see if someone is using a spell is a very reasonable ruling for a DM, even if it's not written in a book. It's something a DM should do if they think a PC is abusing such a thing. It's part of the foundation of 5e with DM rulings mattering more than extensive written rules.

Another possible DM ruling is that if a creature does has to make a saving throw against a spell with a charm effect, they are aware of it whether they succeeded or failed against the spell.

Hohige

Explorer
Another possible DM ruling is that if a creature does has to make a saving throw against a spell with a charm effect, they are aware of it whether they succeeded or failed against the spell.
Charm person, Friends spell The creature knows that they were controlled. Its descripted on spell. Otherwise, without evidence, then, The creature doesnt know.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases