• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Scores - Should they increase?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
So if you are with me that far, the next step would be to eliminate the negative modifiers altogether, adjust the math to compensate, and make a regular progression out of the increases, so that they are easy to remember. Something like:

Ability Score(Modifier)
1 (+0)
2-3 (+1)
4-6 (+2)
7-10 (+3)
11-15 (+4)
16-21 (+5)

And so forth. Now, giants and dragons can have huge Str score increases (that can directly affect lifting ability, encumbrance, etc.) without game-breaking combat modifiers. Point buy and various die rolling methods are now more in sync at generation, and point buy is very straight-forward for players. Buy one ability score point per point in point buy, but the more you spend in a single ability, the less modifier you get.

I don't think this idea has gotten nearly enough attention. If nothing else, this method gives a solid reason for the 3-18 to remain in the system, even if we use the modifiers. It means that, when using point buy, we don't need complex math. Raising an Ability Score from 17 to 18 costs the same number of points as raising it from 7 to 8, but you get a greater benefit out of raising lower stats. I like diminishing returns.

It's also infinitely scalable.

I would adjust the scale a bit, though.

0-3 (+0)
4-5 (+1)
6-8 (+2)
9-12 (+3)
13-17 (+4)
18-23 (+5)

This way, 3 and 18 remain special. The one downside to this setup is, when using point buy, it's going to be most effective to buy 13 for most attributes. On the other hand, this scale makes random generation a more attractive option because you're likely to get a number of quality rolls.

I would even consider handling skills using the same system, but that's a different topic.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I like ability score increases in general. The specific method for their increase? Not sure.

One of the issues with choice is that it makes the game hard to enter and hard to play. For some, there is a lot of fun in building characters. But, I'd guess, most actually like to play the game even more, and to bring in new players, you'll need to keep the game and growth of your character not overwhelming......

Gygax's failed mythus game had you roll for potential, and for current level, in abilities. You then could increase any of the abilities up to your potential. You could, of course, increase them beyond that with magic.

I think making magic more magical and ability score rules are somewhat dependent on each other, as much magic is about increasing your ability to do something.

For me, I'd probably put caps on ability scores for PCs. I'd like to do it by race, but that might be more complicated than some people like. I'd also probably limit your starting ability scores to max-3 or -4. It gives you something to grow.

Also, you could make having good scores in 3 or 4 stats even more important than it is today, but man, there are a ton of monkeys in that barrel.

Remove ads