Add A Colossal $250 Sailing Ship To Your D&D Minis Collection!

The Falling Star Sailing Ship is a 33" colossal model of a sailing ship produced by WizKids, as part of their Icons of the Realms series.

The Falling Star Sailing Ship is a 33" colossal model of a sailing ship produced by WizKids, as part of their Icons of the Realms series.

thefallingstar_1.jpg

In full, it's 17.2" tall, 33" long, and 6.4" wide, with reversible deck tiles (with/without gridlines), magnetic removable masts and staircases, and more. It will retail for $249.99. "Adventure awaits on the high seas with the D&D Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship! This fantastic fully-painted miniature of colossal stature and tremendous detail stands a whopping 17.2" tall, 33" long, and 6.4" wide (12.6" wide at the masts!)* and has a myriad of features! Additionally, the deck tiles are reversible, with or without grid lines, to allow for whichever way you play or wish to display this premium show piece. This feature rich ships includes multiple stackable deck tiles allowing players to fight on the deck or in the dark underbelly of the ship, magnetized removable masts, removable stair cases, and even functional hatches on the sides of the ships for you to fire upon your enemies! Perfect for aquatic adventures, one shot side quests, or even taking on the godlike kraken, the D&D Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship is sure to bring marvelous excitement to your tabletop!" Thanks to Gustavo for the scoop!

FallingStar-Exploded-Front_Perspective02-1200x1200.jpg

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Having built and used a foam core vessel from a D&D or miniatures map pack, my sense is that the rigging and such are pretty but of little use. They rather get in the way, and don't hold miniatures very well. You'll be stripping off the masts very early on in any miniatures combat.

From both cost and usability perspectives, I think the ETSY product is much better.

The sailing ship is a much better display piece.

Thx!
TomB

It comes out in May 2019. So it could tie into the spring 2019 storyline. Or the summer 2019 storyline. Or, if one is pirates and one is Spelljammer... both.

Honestly, a pirate campaign is a fun idea for a storyline game, and would allow them to detail the Sea of Falling Stars in a gazetteer, like they did with the North and Chult.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Having built and used a foam core vessel from a D&D or miniatures map pack, my sense is that the rigging and such are pretty but of little use. They rather get in the way, and don't hold miniatures very well. You'll be stripping off the masts very early on in any miniatures combat.

From both cost and usability perspectives, I think the ETSY product is much better.

Thx!
TomB

If I can't swordfight someone on the yardarm what's the point of having a fight on a ship? :lol:

Gothstaff

Explorer

Thx!
TomB

While I like this Etsy ship, I still find it pricey, for it being just wood and plastic (and being a woodworker I can tell you that's not difficult to do) I would've expected it to be more closer to the $30 dollar range, not 135! I would rather invest in the Wizkids ship givne it's got way more detail, not to mention it preserves it value and would likely increase over time if you keep it in good shape (which this is not a kids' toy after all, so for an adult to be able to afford it, it'd better be treated and kept well)

lordstimpy

Explorer
Preordered on Amazon, not necessarily going to keep it preordered, just making sure I do get it. I'm guaranteed the cheapest price.

This and the Etsy one are tempting, but definitely pricey. For a campaign based almost entirely around it, I’d consider it. However, I’m already eagerly awaiting my Stygian Barge from Reaper for a possible nautical Planar/mythological campaign.

It also occurred to me that these (especially the Etsy 3 level one) could very easily double as an Eberron airship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads