• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding D&D Fantasy into Historical Rome

GrayIguana

First Post
Does anyone else run a campaign where the flavor is more Ancient Rome than Medieval Europe? What house rules have you made to keep the feel of a more ancient world?

I'm especially interested in how other DMs may have changed the rules rather than just taking things away. An easy example is how full-plate mail really doesn't belong in an ancient setting. But how did you address this?

redbeard

First Post
BUMP!

I'm really interested in this.

What I don't know, GrayIguana, is why you don't want to just remove the anachronisms?

I do believe that there is an rpg dedicated to a 'magic is real' Rome with a few historical updates...

http://www.fvlminata.com/

Myself, I'd pick up GURPS Rome as source material and a starting point to chaning rules.

Sulimo

First Post
Whilst not D&D, our group was involved for a time in a GURPS game that in part took place in what was the Roman Empire with magic.

We didnt really have to make any real rule changes. All we really dealt with what bits of tech would or wouldnt be used; how to handle religion and priests; and what role wizards and their guilds played in the society.

On that final front, whilst wizards could not be involved in any public office, they were the real power behind the throne.

hong

WotC's bitch
Sulimo said:

On that final front, whilst wizards could not be involved in any public office, they were the real power behind the throne.

I'll thank you not to slander Wizards of the Coast or Microsoft in this way.

Microsoft Corp [NASDAQ: MSFT] is a wholly independent, publicly-held company located in Redmond, Washington, whose mission is to enable people and businesses throughout the world to realize their full potential. As part of this, Microsoft's vision is to empower people through great software, any time, any place, and on any device. Microsoft has no ties to Wizards of the Coast, Ryan Dancey, Peter Adkison, Gary Gyxax I mean Gygax, the Book of Vile Darkness, Dark Dungeons, Jack Chick, or any other material remotely to do with satanic rituals, satanism, idolatry or any other form of deviant behaviour. Microsoft disclaims any relationship of any kind with the aforementioned individuals, institutions, companies, or practices. If you wish to indulge in devil worship using Microsoft Windows XP [R][tm], please contact Microsoft Product Support for an activation key. No private information will be passed on to Microsoft during this process. Thank you.

Last edited:

GrayIguana

First Post
Thanks for the replies so far (though I am not sure how Microsoft got into this).

I should elaborate on what I was looking for. I'm not necessarily looking for information on how to add Roman (or any other ancient culture's) attributes to my campaign. I have plenty of history and military books to help with that. I also didn't care much for the green 2e book on Rome.

I'm more interested in seeing if other DMs run campaign that are set in a time period more akin to ancient Greece, Egypt, Germania, and early Rome, and if you adjusted things from the PHB to fit this flavor.

For example, I initially pulled full-plate mail from the available equipment list. This makes sense as nothing like this was available in the ancient world. I allowed breast plate as an equivalent to Roman armor. The problem here is that this starts to limit the fighter classes. I felt that I was taking something away that the players were used to and not adding something of equal benefit.

And since I am asking for ideas, I'll give some things that I do.

Since it is an ancient world, few cultures actually have the technology to form metal tools. I enjoy creating unique magical items from organic materials. Magical clubs, which are sometimes made of bone, can be found among barbarian tribes. I've also made up different types of organic armor. (The Nyambe campaign setting did a good job on this IMO)

I've taken out races like elves, gnomes, and haflings. There are fairy or fey like creatures, but they are not as prevalent.

The more cultured civilizations (Roman-like) tend to be anti-arcane magic. Priest of the gods are respected, but controlled. Wizards and sorcerors come from "fringe" groups or cultures.

Dr. NRG

First Post
There is a fair bit of combat/tactical/equipment difference between stereotypical Medieval Europe and the Roman periods.

Think pilums, gladius and pikeman squares versus mounted knights and two-handed swords. Think studded leather skirts (not a derogatory term) and some kinded of banded mail (?) as typical armor instead of chain shirts or plate.

Other than a pike, I can't recall any two-handed weapons being used, and do recall a whole lot of shield walls and tactics to be used against them. Pilums were spears with soft heads designed to stick in, and weigh down shields, for example.

We should get BlackDirge to chip in here, he's a huge military history buff. Dirge?

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
GrayIguana said:

I'm more interested in seeing if other DMs run campaign that are set in a time period more akin to ancient Greece, Egypt, Germania, and early Rome, and if you adjusted things from the PHB to fit this flavor.

Yup... see my Egyptian Adventures thread. I'm doing something like that right now, in fact.

For example, I initially pulled full-plate mail from the available equipment list. This makes sense as nothing like this was available in the ancient world. I allowed breast plate as an equivalent to Roman armor. The problem here is that this starts to limit the fighter classes. I felt that I was taking something away that the players were used to and not adding something of equal benefit.

I pulled Splint Mail, changed the name of Banded Mail to Lorica Segmenta (not a perfect conversion, but it works)- and made Plate and Half-Plate armor into a rarety that is only available enchanted- in other words, a few powerful sorcerers and priests have crafted suits of this armor (with a notably different style than the armor of the middle ages- this stuff has an ancient flavor to it), and some have aquired it from the Atlanteans and Lemurians.

Since it is an ancient world, few cultures actually have the technology to form metal tools. I enjoy creating unique magical items from organic materials. Magical clubs, which are sometimes made of bone, can be found among barbarian tribes. I've also made up different types of organic armor. (The Nyambe campaign setting did a good job on this IMO)

I've seriously got to get a copy of Nyambe. But my D&D money for this week is going into the BoVD. :)

Some of my fictional cultures have more advanced metallurgy than others. The Impirians, Hellenes, and Elohim are very advanced in those departments- the Khemites, Perineans, and Hyksos less so. The Khemites have always relied on enchantment to make up for their metallurgical weakness, the Perineans aren't a particularly settled people (who acquire most of their equipment from sources in the distant east, or from their legacy of ruined cities and citadels), and the Hyksos, great warriors though they are, have fallen behind the tech curve.

I've taken out races like elves, gnomes, and haflings. There are fairy or fey like creatures, but they are not as prevalent.

I went over this in my Egyptian Adventures thread- the Dwarves became the Elohim, a lawful race of warriors, prophets, and craftsmen who were once slaves to the Khemites and are well known for their obscure religious beliefs and their even more obscure sense of humor, the Elves became the Perineans, a wandering, mystical people of the desert and the steppes who dwell in remote, mysterious cities, and the Gnomes became the Jinn- the commoner caste of the Genies- a creepy race believed to have been responsible for teaching mortals the ways of magic.

I really couldn't find a place for halflings though (never liked the buggers anyway- at least gnomes are good magicians)... so I ditched them. The only notable change I made to the races was a minor one- I changed the free weapon proficiencies that the Perineans recieve from Long Bow, Short Bow, Rapier, and Longsword to Short Bow, Falchion, and Khopesh.

The more cultured civilizations (Roman-like) tend to be anti-arcane magic. Priest of the gods are respected, but controlled. Wizards and sorcerors come from "fringe" groups or cultures.

Sometimes. In most of my civilizations, there isn't really much difference in most people's minds- both are servants of the gods and gather in priesthoods- one group serves out of necessity, and the other out of tradition. Only the Imperians have really recognized the difference between divine and arcane traditions, and they, rather than shunning wizards, have tried to regiment them into a "magical legion" under the direction of the Senate, and have stripped magic down from a convoluted, mystical art (such as the Khemites use) into a very precise, technical practice. I've been using the Mage Slayer and Incantatrix prestige classes to represent members of the Legion.

Remove ads