• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Lord Byron’s Economic Woes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=wil's move action]Just FYI, I think you accidentally moved Kane into your space. (Completely meta here, and someone feel free to stop me if I am being too meta: you may want to use your move action to move yourself out of there instead and let Kane move himself (maybe out to E10?). Yeah, he'll possibly take a hit, but that would leave us in a position against the rats where only 1 rat swarm could get at us and they could only attack me. It's just a thought; feel free to ignore!)[/sblock]

[sblock=re: ryryguy]
ryryguy said:
Oops, did we trigger two encounters at once? Geeze
Don't feel bad: I think this is just one encounter. :) It seems like the feint at the beginning with the rats was just to draw us over there so we'd be pincered.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Np. GREAT hit by the way! And getting the paladin out of there was a brilliant move - now he can't get trapped in the hallway by the ooze, and it frees him up to get to some defenderin'. :)[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=swarms]Don't forget, swarms can enter another creature's space, so I don't think they're going to be as easy to bottle up as you think. Hergunna also has an area at-will to back you up, and with that howl of fury ruling, Kane should maybe help too depending how they are positioned.[/sblock]
[sblock=jelly]It's a large creature, shouldn't it occupy 4 squares?[/sblock]

Hergunna growls as the slime slams into her and the acid burns her flesh, the growl deepening as she shifts into wolf form. She bats at the slime with a paw, sending it away from her, and lopes back down towards the entrance, putting some distance between herself and the creature. She shakes her fur as she goes, shedding the acidic slime.

"Look out, there's a couple more creatures down the other hall. They're hard to see."

[sblock=Actions]Take 5 acid damage, hp now 22.
Minor: Wild Shape to Wolf
Standard: Savage Rend hits Ref 14 for 11 damage. Slide the Jelly to C14.
Move: Move to J10
End of Turn: Made saving throw vs ongoing damage[/sblock]
[sblock=Hergunna stat block]Hergunna- Female Human Druid 2
Wolf Form
Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 19
AC:17, Fort:14, Reflex:16, Will:17 -- Speed:7
HP:22/36, Bloodied:18, Surge Value:9, Surges left:9/9
Initiative +3
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers: Thorn Whip, Call of the Beast, Chill Wind, Savage Rend, Wild Shape, Thorn Spray, Summon Pack Wolf, Resist Energy,Hunter's Quarry, Death Fang Totem
[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=swarms]
Don't forget, swarms can enter another creature's space, so I don't think they're going to be as easy to bottle up as you think.
That's a very good point. This may take a judge's ruling, but my interpretation is that a swarm can move through another creature's space but not end its turn in another creature's space, so I don't think I will have to worry about stacking auras unless I'm surrounded. Right now I feel like their speed is so slow by the time they really had me in trouble they will be dead (especially since I can nullify their ability to take OAs, which means we could also move through their space without getting attacked). I could certainly be wrong, tho.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=swarms]They can definitely occupy your space. From the Compendium Glossary:

"A swarm can occupy the same space as another creature, and an enemy can enter a swarm’s space, which is difficult terrain."[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=swarms]Ah, ok! That quote is from the MM2; I see they slightly changed (or to use the WotC word, "clarified") the description from the first MM.

Although, interestingly: that doesn't necessarily contradict the idea that they cannot end their turn in the same space as another creature, depending on whether or not you interpret "occupy" to mean "end in the same space," or as a corollary to "and an enemy can enter a swarm’s space", which might imply that it means they can "enter or pass through" your space. I think "occupy" is typically used to mean "stays there", tho.

Either way, I think you're right. And besides, it makes more sense: they're freakin' swarms. They get all over stuff. :)

ps. If Mervin runs out of the passageway screaming and covered in rats, now you'll know why. ;)[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Jelly size]Oops. It is now a large size. It was occupying C13:D14 after it's attack. Unless you have a different idea Ryry, I think your push would move it to B14:C15. Also, are excel cell references okay for everyone to ID large creatures? Not sure how else to do it.[/sblock][sblock=swarm]I would say the swarm can end it's turn on you, but you cannot end your turn on the swarm. That said, I don't intend to end the turn on any of you. I can't see the benefit.

However, unless HMG rules otherwise, your ability to stop their OAs does not affect their aura ability. The aura text doesn't use the term OA.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Did you not have a large-sized token (or can you stretch one)? You can just put 4 identical tokens down as well; that might work. We'll know it's not 4 conjoined quadruplets. :) Can you put the red dot on the intersection of the 4 squares instead of in the middle of a square? Just some ideas - I have no idea what map software you're using. Actually, related question: what map software are you using? That thing seems awesome, especially for PbP.

re: swarms - Everything you said makes sense to me. Also I will refrain from suggesting a way ending its turn on one of us could be advantageous until after we are done killing them. :)[/sblock]

[sblock=ps. everyone]I've had tons of extra time today so I've been posting like mad, but if I start getting too meta or suggest too much stuff please feel free to PM me or just post and tell me to hush. I know being too helpful is often not very helpful. :)[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Kane grunts in frustration as the tiny teeth of the rats nip and bite at his ankles, but the bugbear shakes them off and sees them battling what looks like the air. Not wasting time to figure it out, the barbarian rushes back down the hallway and sees Hergunna in trouble. With a roar, he runs forward and his bastard sword cuts deep into the amorphous being.

[sblock=ooc]
*Sorry for the delay - was busy with family yesterday - it was Family Day here in Ontario.

*Rats Aura - vs ac; dmg (1d20+6=24, 1d6+3=6, 1d20+6=22, 1d6+3=9) I rolled twice, but ignore the 2nd one....
Move: to E9 - no OA's thanks to Mervin
Standard: Charge the ooze, ending at E12 - vs ac; dmg (1d20 10=24, 1d12 6 1d8=24) hits for 26 damage (forgot the +2 dmg from armbands)
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Kane Male Bugbear Barbarian 2
Initiative: +5, Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11, Senses: Low-light
AC:19, Fort:18, Reflex:17, Will:13
HP:35/41, Bloodied:20, Surge Value:10, Surges left:10/10
Action Points: 1
Powers:
Howl of Fury
Whirling Rend

Predatory Eye
Whirling Lunge
Whirling Frenzy
Brutal Slam
Shrug it Off

Swift Panther Rage

Important Stuff:
+1d8 damage when charging. Cool stuff happens when he bloodies or kills a bad guy

Conditions:

Full sheet: L4W:pC:Kane (renau1g - ENWiki) [/sblock]

Remove ads