• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] The Lost Treasure of House Cannith (Judge: Evilbob)

Otakkun

Explorer
[sblock=OOC] Well, I'm going to have enough trouble hitting that DC 10 to aid someone in this skill challenge, nevermind actually trying to do it. So, who wants to be aided ... and in which skill? [/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yea, in retrospect it would maybe have been better to let you open the conversation first, since it's hard to insight or get a feel for what to say without any direction at all, but I didn't want to risk people using powers (since a couple of you have some that could apply) before the challenge started, thus not having them for the challenge.

If everyone is totally stuck on how to open, I'll have him start the conversation.[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
Thalin strides up to the corner booth. Morning friend, might you be Captain Chowder? Myself and these fine gents you see behind me are looking to hire a boat to take us across the river and back, and we were told you were the only one insane enough to do it? Well, what say you?

[sblock=I hate my life]1d20+18=19 I think I pulled off a nat 1 diplomacy nicely... lol[/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
The man looks up from his plate and chuckles at Thalin's introduction.

"Cap'n Chowder? Is that a new nickname someone came up with? I knows I likes me soup, but I didn' think it'd gone tha far. As fer takin' ya cross the river, if they's sayin' I'm crazy 'nough fer that, it's them's crazy."

He goes back to his plate, but keeps talking.

"Jus what'd I get out o' sucha thing?"

Antithetist

First Post
Colrgrave steps up swiftly, with a quick worried glance at Thalin. "What do you get? That's a simple matter," he slips in in response to Shrouder's query. "You get a fair price for the us of your ship and sailing expertise, and you get the knowledge that the safety of the voyage is in expert hands. Do you think we plan to throw our lives away in the lands across the river? On the contrary, sir, we're headed that way because we know very well that we can handle ourselves. And if we can handle ourselves in the Mournlands, then it follows that you may rest assured that no harm will come to your vessel whilst we're aboard."

[sblock=OOC]Nice Diplomacy, I enjoyed that. ;)

Bluff 1d20+15=26[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Bartering Passage Round 1:

The wilden stares at the face of the would be boat captain, with his deep unknowable black eyes. His claws sink deeply into the wooden floor of the tavern with no more difficulty than the loose soil in the street outside. "An dit naw be oz eef yuh need be waitin for dee likes oaf us loat dee ole time. Jus be droppin ose off dare an be combin back de nex mornin, leabin yuh in naw maw arm den yee be in sittin ere jus no."
[sblock=Actions]Free: speak
Minor:
Make Eve Invisible
Move: ...
Standard: Insight (1d20+14=20)[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 4; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 45/45, Bloodied: 22, Surge: 11, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:

Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]So we have just half a day to find the city, the lab and the book so we have half a day to get back to Aruldusk to make it back to the pick up point on the other side of the river? No time to lose then.[sblock=Translation]And its not like you to wait for the likes of us. Just drop us off and come back for us the next morning, leaving yourself in no more harm than you are in sitting here just now.[/sblock][/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
Skill Challenge Round 2

[sblock=ooc/turtle]Karananak (the one I said looks disturbing) is a walking tree creature. People in a port town are quite disturbed to see a tree walking down their street. Wilden are a PC race, but they are still new and common folk who don't live near the woods likely have never seen anything like them.
[sblock=Karananak description from his intro]An impossibly thin creature walks through the parlor doors with a long and predatory, if relaxed gait. Karananak has deep brown skin with a wooden bark pattern over it, and a huge, two foot-diameter ball afro of tiny black leaves. His eyes are large, non reflective black pools that draw you into them like the shadows at the bottom of a well. His legs are back bent like some animals ending in a pair of bare, three taloned feet, with toes splayed wide for balance. Along the base of his jaw and the outsides of his forearms and calves are rows of slender, needle-sharp thorns. He wears thick, tattered hide vest and breeches that have seen far better days, with what might be a stone flute tucked into a sash and a dirty backpack. He carries nothing else other than a flimsy walking stick, nearly as thin as he is.[/sblock][/sblock]

Colrgrave steps up swiftly, with a quick worried glance at Thalin. "What do you get? That's a simple matter," he slips in in response to Shrouder's query. "You get a fair price for the us of your ship and sailing expertise, and you get the knowledge that the safety of the voyage is in expert hands. Do you think we plan to throw our lives away in the lands across the river? On the contrary, sir, we're headed that way because we know very well that we can handle ourselves. And if we can handle ourselves in the Mournlands, then it follows that you may rest assured that no harm will come to your vessel whilst we're aboard."

"Aye, and what price be it, you consider fair? It's no easy thing t'sail the waters in The Mist, and that stuff be right dang'rous just ter breathe. How you be planning to pertect me ship from giant water beasts er stormy seas? Still, if the price be right, and you can cunvince me o' yer pertective skill, it's maybe I kin be persuaded."

He takes another few bites of his food as the talk continues. Despite his blustering, his chest puffs out a bit and he seems clearly pleased at the reference to his "expert" skill.

The wilden stares at the face of the would be boat captain, with his deep unknowable black eyes. His claws sink deeply into the wooden floor of the tavern with no more difficulty than the loose soil in the street outside. "An dit naw be oz eef yuh need be waitin for dee likes oaf us loat dee ole time. Jus be droppin ose off dare an be combin back de nex mornin, leabin yuh in naw maw arm den yee be in sittin ere jus no."

He looks more than a bit nervous as the wilden enters the conversation, and turns away from his gaze quickly.

"Well an' that's true. Who said anything 'bout stayin' over there?" He shudders. "Not likely. Still, an' now er talkin' bout me riskin' me boat an' me hide more'n once. It's there an' back passage ye be lookin' fer. Twice the risk o' storms and monsters."

He shudders visibly again. However, he doesn't ask you to leave or look as if you've lost his interest, although he does continue to eat. Clearly the prospect of coin intrigues him, if nothing else.

[sblock=Skill Challenge]This is your first challenge. Convince the man to take you across the river. If you fail, you will have to find another way to Eston because no one else here will accept the job.

Difficulty: 8 Successes before 3 Failures
Count: 2 Success; 1 Fail

Primary Skills:
Diplomacy - DC 22
Intimidate - DC 17
Bluff - DC 22

Secondary Skills (one success for the challenge for each of these, not per player):
Insight - DC 17
Streetwise - DC 15
Nature - DC 15

[sblock=If you choose to use the Nature Skill and succeed, use this to help you]The weather doesn't look very stormy, and the river seems calm today; nor is the area well-known for terrible storms this time of year. Although it's well known that The Mist is inhabited by strange creatures, it's never been reported to cause drastic weather changes. You think it unlikely that portions of the river under The Mist would reflect a different weather pattern that the portions adjacent to, but outside it.[/sblock]

The next Diplomacy roll has a +4 (2 from 354b's aid and 2 from succeeding the Insight check).

Karananak has an inherent +2 situation bonus to intimidate because no one around here has seen anything like him and the locals find him rather disturbing.

Aid Another checks have a DC of 10 to add +2 to the other's roll. You must roll with the same skill. Failure to aid another does not count as a failure in the challenge.

If you can think of a way to apply a skill not listed to the challenge, feel free to write it out and roll it. If I agree with your assessment, I will apply it as a secondary skill with a DC 17 (situational bonuses may apply). However, you may gain no more than one success per skill in this way. If I do not agree with your assessment (for example if you were to say you are using Endurance to sit there and look happy through the conversation instead of bored) then I will simply tell you I don't think it's appropriate and you can take a different action.

I will not roll initiative for this challenge. You may act in any order so long as you each act only once per round.

I think that's everything; but if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads