Air Conditioner Madness (What do you set yours at?)

What temperature do you usually keep your AC set at when you're home and awake on hot days?

• 78 F / 25.5 C or above

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • 76-77 F / 24.5-25 C

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • 74-75 F / 23.5-24 C

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • 72-73 F / 22-23 C

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • 70-71 F / 21-21.5 C

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 69 F / 20.5 C or below

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Have AC but don't know what temperature the room is

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Don't have AC even though it often gets above 86 F/30 C

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Don't have AC, but it rarely gets to 86F/30 C here

Votes: 12 15.4%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
18-22 C, 20 is recommended but I like to got a little higher for that cozy feel.

25C in a cold room, but then adjust down once it warms up

What do you keep the cooling at in the summer was the question (and I should have looked up what the cooling system was called in different places since half the world or.ao.ia worried about the warming one instead right now!)

Larnievc

Hero
We recently got a new air conditioning and heating units for our house (our old units were 30+ years old; we're in the US south where we will have at least a couple days each summer over 100 F/37.8 C).

When I mentioned what temperature we keep our house at in the summer (77 F = 25 C) a bunch of friends here were shocked we kept it that high, even if it's a degree F lower than what the US Department of Energy recommends. Being from the upper-midwest in the US, I was surprised that so many folks in the US south (where we are now) had it set so low compared to what I was used to (I would have thought they would be more heat tolerant).

So, what do you keep your AC set at when you're at home and awake on hot days? In the comments, I'm particularly interested in what region of the world you're from and the region you live in now.
Anything I’ve 21C is really uncomfortable. Speaking as a Brit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep, no air conditioner here. Temperature rarely exceeds 30. But on the occasional days it does, man is it hard to function in a country largely without air conditioning!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What do you keep the cooling at in the summer was the question (and I should have looked up what the cooling system was called in different places since half the world or.ao.ia worried about the warming one instead right now!)
Yep 18-22 in summer too

Janx

Hero
Here in hot Houston, we run at 70F during the day, 66F at night. In the winter, we have it off and the windows open to bring in that nice cold air.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Only the bedroom of my house is air conditioned. During hot days, I leave the A/C on in there set at 72F, so the cats have someplace cooler to escape to.

cmad1977

Hero
When it’s bad in Los Angeles I seal up the living room and set the AC to 72 for about an hour. That keeps the area cool enough for a few hours then as temps lower I open the windows. Sometimes I have to do that a few times as we get an annoying amount of sun.

Mad_Jack

Legend
No AC here...

I live in southern New England, and the summer generally gets around the mid 80's F/high 20's C towards the end of June, then high 80's F/30-ish C to the middle of August, with a week or week and a half of hotter temps around the last week of July/first week of August.

I never had an AC unit growing up, and only really ever run a fan when it's either ridiculously hot or the humidity is really high. I'm old-skool New Englander all the way - we're legally obligated to remain stoic and unconcerned about any and all weather conditions short of the sun going nova or the heat-death of the universe, lol.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases