• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alignment in D&DN...

Alignment is too iconic to do away with completely. Even with all it's warts, I like alignment. I think a good way to move forward would be to make it a modular piece, rather than core - and then give options to how much impact alignment has on mechanics.

Personally, I would include alignment with only a very light impact on mechanics. Others may want more impact, and still others might not want to include alignment at all.

S

Sunseeker

I feel it is either time to abandon alignment altogether or shunt it off to being solely a DMing tool to help the DM assess non-PCs and aid in adventure and setting construction.

Aside from cases in which the divine/unholy entity demands a certain alignment to receive their boons, I think that it really is just a "guideline" in my experience.

Kynn

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of traits. With the standard alignments, we have spells and abilities are built into them, but with traits, there's a risk to be a lot more and thus abilities/spells can get silly (Smite Honesty, Protection from Evil and Greedy, Detect Selfish, etc.).

But "Smite Evil," "Protection from Law" and "Detect Chaos" are just as silly.

S

Sunseeker

But "Smite Evil," "Protection from Law" and "Detect Chaos" are just as silly.

Not really, no. Especially since these things usually pertain to divine/unholy forces, who tend to fall along "evil", "lawful", "chaotic" lines more than they do "greedy" or more human ones.

Personally....the damage and effects of your smite should depend on HOW evil your target is. A bandit may get an extra point or two, a warlock might get another die, a succubus might get an auto-crit, Myrkul might get an auto-crit and doubled damage.

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Alignment is too iconic to do away with completely. Even with all it's warts, I like alignment. I think a good way to move forward would be to make it a modular piece, rather than core - and then give options to how much impact alignment has on mechanics.

Personally, I would include alignment with only a very light impact on mechanics. Others may want more impact, and still others might not want to include alignment at all.

I'd agree to the above as well. And everything in my game world has the Alignment stat filled in.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'd prefer to not have alignments at all. I don't need some contrived label on my character sheet to dictate to me how to play my character. A character's personality, ethics, and goals should be for the player to decide, and it's silly to try and force everyone into one of 9 different molds.

What does having alignments even serve, except as being there to give DM's an excuse to punish players for playing their character "wrong"? People will decide if they want to be good, evil, or something inbetween anyway. Why do we need to rigidly categorize it? Alignments also create this mentality where people look at others in very 2 dimensional terms and see everything in absolutes "that guy is evil! we can't work with him!"

IMO, alignments don't add anything at all to the game, and, in fact, only serve to be a hindrance to roleplaying. I've never once missed alignments in any game that doesn't have them.

am181d

Adventurer
Not, it's not. And, what's more, I would argue vehemently that there is no such thing that is too iconic to do away with completely. Everything is on the table.

I think you are misunderstanding the mission statement of 5e. This will not be a "reimagined from the ground up" edition.

The nine alignments will all undoubtedly make it into 5e. I think the only questions to be asked and answered are:

1) will it be the default assumption, or just an add-on module?
2) will it be presented along with other alternate modules?

But folks who are hoping they won't see the words "Lawful Good" in 5e? You will be disappointed.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Not, it's not. And, what's more, I would argue vehemently that there is no such thing that is too iconic to do away with completely. Everything is on the table.

That design attitude didn't exactly work out so well for 4e, and I don't think they'll go down that path again with 5e if they want to regain market share.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads