D&D 5E Allowing Strength for Bows--unbalanced?

Ranthalan

First Post
As I stated for OP several times bow must be built for certain power(read str requirements).

You can play with draw weight little by shortening or extending the bow string.

Heh, I now see you were the one who mentioned the min STR for weapons. I agree that approach makes the most sense. I'd forgo adding that level of detail at my table (If it were in the books, I'd use it, but I'd rather spend my prep time doing other things). As a mechanic I think it works well.

Horwath

Legend
You could always create a feat instead for it.

Composite Archery
Req. Str 13+
While most rely on precision and accuracy to allow their arrows to fly true, you prefer to use your raw physical prowess to strike with sheer force.
You may use your strength to hit and damage when wielding a shortbow or longbow.
When you hit a target within 30', as a Bonus Action you may cause them to make a Strength Saving Throw (DC 8 + Str Modifier) or be knocked prone. Creatures of a size category larger than yours ignore this effect.

Nice idea but it wouldn't work with the feat alone because you need the bow to match your strength.

As [MENTION=6790174]Ranthalan[/MENTION] mentioned, no matter what your power is, you wont get any of that down the firing line with 25bl bow.

feartheminotaur

First Post
Eh, I'd just ignore that and assume by "longbow" you mean "longbow with Xlbs draw". The feat presumes you're not out buying Mattel's My First Bow (tm). The lack of "mighty" bows means there's no rule the feat runs contrary to.

I don't see a need to mechanically differentiate every weapon variation. Otherwise you'd have to ask "for the +1 AC with Dual Wielder you need a weapon with a sizable pommel guard" or "if your weapon has a higher crit range it needs to be Damascus steel" or whatever. If you feel it's necessary for play at your table, by all means, do so. I'm lazy like that.

I would just add composite bows.

Composite bow:
Special: A composite bow must be specially fashioned for a special strength. Thus there are composite bows for str 10,12,14,16,18,20.
A composite bow´s pull is so hard that you need str more than dexterity to hit. You can use str for the attack and damage roll of the bow to a maximum of the bow´s str number. If your strength is lower than the bow´s str number you may use it with disadvantage and the range is halved.

JonnyP71

Explorer
I'd be okay with allowing Str to benefit damage rolls (Strength bows have a long history in D&D including "composite bows" in AD&D) but for to-hit, no way. That's Dex all the way. Unless it's Int instead, actually.

Which rulebook actually had that in it? We always played 'add strength bonus for composite bows' having heard that was how it was 'supposed' to be...

But I don't think I ever found the rule written in black and white.

Which rulebook actually had that in it? We always played 'add strength bonus for composite bows' having heard that was how it was 'supposed' to be...

But I don't think I ever found the rule written in black and white.

It did not exist in 2nd edition, but I infer that it existed in 1st edition from (1) what I've overheard on forums, (2) the fact that the SSI Gold Box games allowed it.

JonnyP71

Explorer
It did not exist in 2nd edition, but I infer that it existed in 1st edition from (1) what I've overheard on forums, (2) the fact that the SSI Gold Box games allowed it.

I did most of my searching in 1E rulebooks... and never found it.

Such a common house rule, it even crept into officially licensed games!

Remove ads