Alternate ranger options

Skarp Hedin

First Post
First, apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I know there are about five million ranger variants out there, but I can't remember where they all -are-, heh.

One of my players is interested in an alternate ranger, who doesn't cast spells. The only alt.ranger I can remember is the one from Monte Cook's site, and they chuck the spells but good.

So, can anyone point me toward some links to other alternate rangers who don't cast?

Thanks, and uh, I really don't want to start the ranger thing again, so that's why I just wanna read some options, heh. No blame me if fights ensue :D

Crothian

First Post
Woodsman from WOT is pretty good. Otherwise search though this forum (now search function, so you'll have to do it the old fasion way but luckily there is not much here).

Skarp Hedin

First Post
I've heard the woodsman is good, but alas: no WoT and he'll be here any minute ;P

Curse his hide for springing this so short notice! I will gander through the forum, though.

bloodymage

House Ruler
Non-spellcasting Ranger

Try this from my own house rules:

Rangers: A ranger does not have any automatic two-weapon proficiencies. He takes weapon specialization as a fighter and gains a bonus feat every 4 levels starting at 2nd (half as fast as a normal fighter due to wilderness studies). He has no favored enemies (except as a possible personal quirk). At 1st level a ranger has Track as a bonus feat. He has Wilderness Lore as a bonus skill (maximum skill level at no extra cost) and 1 extra skill point + W modifier which can be applied to any of the following skills in any combination: animal empathy, climb, handle animal, heal, hide, intuit direction, knowledge (nature), listen, move silently, ride, spot, swim or use rope. At every level the ranger would gain a new favored enemy, he instead acquires an additional bonus skill point + W modifier and a bonus point to apply only to Wilderness Lore.

My own rangers are actually allowed to cast spells. This description just covers the differences between mine and the PHB. Those differences could serve as your non-spellcasting ranger, though. To compensate for the loss of spells, you might want to advance the acquisition of bonus skill points to, maybe, every 3 levels. Enjoy. :D

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
The alt.ranger page:

http://www.electricearth.net/ranger/

Alternatively, if all you want is to drop the spellcasting, consider giving out a bonus feat at every level where a new spell level would be gained. These can be chosen from the list of fighter bonus feats (excluding Weapon Spec), and be usable only in light or no armour.

Last edited:

Kusuf ibn Zaid

First Post
I found a need for a non-spellcasting ranger in my own campaign as well. The following link is the result. This variation of the ranger addresses some of the front loading complaints of the PHB ranger and provides a mechanism to build a ranger without two-weapon fighting, although TWF is still an option if desired.

http://crosswalkpress.com/sidewalks/scout.pdf

I hope you find this useful.

- Kusuf

Last edited:

oliverhenshaw

First Post
I'm sure I've replied ot a similar thread about rangers but have never seen it since. A good non-magical ranger is from the Primal Codex, a $5 pdf on wilderness from rpgnow or whatever.

It's got favoured terrains, a kind oif weapon expertise, some trapping plusses and a neat knowledge(monsters) to get fighting bonuses mechanic.

The rest of the pdf has a decent-ish shaman, lots of poisons and toxins and a comprehensive list of execution styles that could come in useful. But the hunter is really the meat of it's worth to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads