Ampersand: Sneak Attack

Stalker0

Legend
So a few things to note:

1) Dexterity pretty much applies to attack and damage now with the rogue. The rogue now has an at will power that lets him add dex to attack and damage. And since pretty much all rogue powers are based on dex, looks like you won't need weapon finesse any more.

2) Sneak attack only applies to specific weapons!! No more backstabbing with a ballista :( Further, sneak attack has a very flat scale. At first the +2d6 damage seems like a whole lot, but then again hp starts greater and scales slower than before.

3) We have a mechanic called healing surges. Is that the "second wind"?

4) Int has no bearing on SKILLS!!???? Either that's simply the "standard starting package" aka 3e or int really has nothing to do with skills. I hope its the former, what point does int serve if not for skills? (and for wizards of course)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Zamkaizer said:
The weapon proficiencies are positively eloquent. As are the skills. And the powers as well. This is damn suave. I just want to know what [W] is.

I assume W stands for weapon damage. So 2[W] probably means you do double damage or roll weapon damage twice. That's my guess anyway.

Vayden

First Post
Dollars to donuts says that [W] is weapon dmg - playtest reports confirm that weapon damage is still expressed in dice of different sizes, so 1[W] = standard weapon dmg dice, 2[W] = double dmg dice, etc.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Stalker0 said:
4) Int has no bearing on SKILLS!!???? Either that's simply the "standard starting package" aka 3e or int really has nothing to do with skills. I hope its the former, what point does int serve if not for skills? (and for wizards of course)

I don't think we know enough yet. I bet Int bonus probably gives you extra trained skills or something or lets you add skills to your class list that you can choose to be trained in.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I also get the feeling though we are missing a lot from this article that will be in the official PHB. So perhaps things like Skill Points earned from Intelligence is still in just wasn't put in.

StarFyre

Explorer
hmmm

I don't like the fixed hp/level but other than that..sounds cool.

will maybe use our own house rule for HD/level ongoing with the 3.5E dice values as needed....

Sanjay

Vayden

First Post
Stalker0 said:

I'll bet you anything that there are plenty of classes/powers where you attack with "Int vs. Reflex" or whatever. But yeah, Int doesn't seem to serve much purpose for the Rogue. Guess they got tired of CHA being everyone's dump stat and decided to mix it up a bit. :)

The flat damage bonus to sneak attack is probably a good thing when you consider, there's +1/2 your level damage to attacks that your character gets.

And it's likely there probably is a power or talent that either adds more dice to sneak attacks, or give an even greater bonus to attack for combat advantage.

Remove ads