Anime culture and D&D

D.Shaffer

First Post
Anime is a wide variety of stuff, just ripe for looting in DND. You might not want to bring things over whole hog, but there's plenty of basic plots and characters you can mine when you're short of ideas. Even if you dont run an anime style game, there's enough unique situations that show up in anime (And heck, most media) that you can use with little work.

Last edited:

D.Shaffer said:
Anime is a wide variety of stuff, just ripe for looting in DND. You might want to bring things over whole hog, but there's plenty of basic plots and characters you can mine when you're short of ideas. Even if you dont run an anime style game, there's enough unique situations that show up in anime (And heck, most media) that you can use with little work.

That's true. I've always wanted to run an adventure based off of one episode of "Dragon Warrior" which had a port town essentially shut down because the source for the light house which kept a monster infested, magical darkness at bay was stolen.

Scott_Holst said:
Dont forget, The Eberron campaign is a copy of Full Metal Alchemist anime series. So I think Anime is even in official WoTC stuff. :p
Was this whole thread kinda tongue in cheek? I remember a discussion from some years ago where it was decided that since saying "dude, that is SO gay" isn't politically correct anymore we were going to switch to "dude, that is SO anime" to mean exactly the same thing.

I dunno--calling Eberron "anime" kinda brings back that whole affair like post-traumatic stress syndrome.

DarkSoldier

First Post
Kaodi said:
Speaking of computer animated series, however... when are we going to get our continuation of ReBoot?!
I'd like to see it, too. I even asked Mainframe if they had plans to do so, but with the departure of several key figures from the company, ReBoot has been shelved indefinitely.

BroccoliRage

First Post
I do not care for anime in general. Full Metal Alchemist is nice, and the whole ghost in the shell series is fantastic, but the garbage in most anime outwieghs the good stuff.

BroccoliRage's approved anime list for BroccoliRage and only BroccoliRage so as to avoid hurting anyone's feelings (save BroccoliRage):

Akira
Fist of The North Star
Aeon Flux*
Ghost in The Shell series
Avatar: The Last Airbender* (surprisingly neat stuff)
Vampire Hunter D series
Ninja Scroll
The Hellboy Movie*
The Spawn animated series*

BroccoliRage's list of anime that should inspire extreme feelings of the family being dishonored and seppuku as the only answer only in BroccoliRage's opinion, of course, and not extending to anyone beyond the person of BroccoliRage):

Dragonball/Z/GT/ABC/SNAFU/PDQ/ASAP
Everything else (subject to change, but only expressive of the views of BroccoliRage.)

No part of this document in its entirety may be construed as a definition of objective reality. Any attempt to do so will result in immediate laughter and a complete lack of explanation.

*if these can be really called anime.

Kaodi

Hero
Sammael --> Are Beast Wars and Beast Machines (barring thematic and taste issues of becoming technorganic) really so terribly at odds with the original series? They only ever claimed to be the descendants of the original Transformers, and didn't make a lot of claims that could of contradicted the original material... They seem to be perhaps the first or only shows to try and continue the story, rather than rewrite it...

Breakdaddy

First Post
Well, if you consider GI JOE & Transformers Anime, then yes, I've watched anime in both cases, although I would never have considered them so. Also, I had forgotten, but I did watch an anime cartoon as a child (Star Blazers), so I stand corrected, sorry! I think that is the extent of my anime experience IIRC.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
If merely being animated by a Japanese studio to American character designs really did make a series anime, then we'd all have a deep appreciation for the classic Korean manhwa-yeonghwa series The Simpsons.

Remove ads