D&D 5E Another Critical Hits 5E Report

Herschel

Adventurer
The whole Returning to the Theater of the Imagination section is pure garbage. Better get your golf bag out 'cause here it comes again. The skill system sounds fine and flattening the power progression is too.

kitsune9

Adventurer
A 5-minute climactic battle? That's really anti-climactic.

Yeah, kind of makes me want to say, "That's it? We're done?"

Reminds of a DCC module where the big bad was waiting for us behind a secret door. He goes into some long spiel about himself and at the end he screams, "I'm the master now!" Combat starts. We kill him in 1 round.

Maybe the 5 minutes is a super pure adrenaline experience. If you go 6 minutes, you'll go into cardiac arrest and fall dead out of your chair. :p

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The article takes an edition war cheap shot with the "4e entitlement" comment and then Shea has comments turned off to avoid edition wars? I'm disappointed in you, Mike. :(

You could say that a 4e player may have certain "assumptions" about encounter balance based on how such things were handled in 4e. And they found those assumptions were mistaken when playing 5e.

But to use the term "entitled" is derogatory. It implies they are naive or stupid, expecting something they don't "deserve". If that truly is the attitude of your players, SlyFlourish, then thats YOUR failure as their DM.

I played old school. I crushed B1 back in the day through clever play and tactics. I survived original Tomb of Horrors. I have TPKed parties in 4e as well. I assure you, none of my 4e players feel "entitled" to anything.

My enjoyment of 4e doesn't come because I feel "entitled" to anything other than having a good time with my friends. I like 4e because I like playing a well-designed balanced game that encourages cinematic heroics and smart tactical game play. I expect I will enjoy 5e as well. But I don't need to tear down another edition or the people who like it to say that.

The whole Returning to the Theater of the Imagination section is pure garbage.

Since D&D is actually a game of the imagination why is this garbage?

A 5-minute climactic battle? That's really anti-climactic.

It doesn't have to be. Its easier to keep combats exciting if they are shorter. Its hard for me to maintain excitement for a battle in which I just scored 22 points of damage against the BBEG and realize that will need to happen more than 10 more times before he's even bloodied and we get to the half time show.

Ferrety

Explorer
Once that transformation took place, the whole game changed. The antagonism between player and DM transformed into a true cooperative story. Described by Monte Cook as the core mechanic of the game, the players told the DM what they wanted to do and the DM told them whether they succeeded or not.
I don't get it. Is there actually an edition of D&D where this is not true? On the other hand, this is bit strange throw away, as until this point it sounded that he was advocating DM vs player style.

mkill

Adventurer
Dear Wizards, put your lawyers on a chain and lift this guy's NDA already. This puzzle game is getting ridiculous. Even Monte Cook said 90% of speculation is wrong. Only you can end this. I think people understand what "under development" means.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I keep thinking of that scene at the end of Princess Bride when Inigo Montoya tries to get through a door, failing, and Fezzik knocks it down with one punch.

Westley: Give us the gate key.
Yellin: I have no gate key.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tear his arms off.
Yellin: Oh, you mean *this* gate key.

This must be what 5E auto-succeed at "Intimidate" is going to be like.

Remove ads