• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any module/sourcebook made you go "Drop everything I want to run this right now?"

Red Wyrmling

First Post
When 3ed was released , I just continued my FR campaign with the conversion of every player.

I actually left the FR campaign behind for about 4 or 5 sessions to master a D20 Modern campaign but after that by popular demand we ended up back in the Realms.

I almost switched to Conan, untill I read the book.

Shortly after I read the Freeport books and was iintrigued by a citybased thievesguild campaign, but most of my players aren't what one would call subtle.

Eventually I quit my last FR campaign wich started at level 1 and ended at level 15-ish to start an Eberron campaign, both me and my players are pleasantly surprised, so it might take a while before we return to FR. I'm eagerly anticipating the Waterdeep book to restart a citybased campaign in the Forgotten Realms.

diaglo

Adventurer
JeffB said:
:)

Patiently waiting for OSM2! :D

ditto.

i'm just hoping it isn't like the time i waited for T2 Temple of Elemental Evil to be released after playing T1 Village of Hommlet to death for years.

and then i bought T1-4 at Gen Con in 1985... and all i could do was say the end of D&D was at hand. riddled with errors. and just plain pathetic. bah...

Henry

Autoexreginated
No module or sourcebook, but one game did that for me:

Feng Shui.

After playing it at a gameday, I had so much fun that I (A) tried to remember as many rules as possible that I saw so that I could demo it for my group, and (B) three weeks later I had bought the rulebook. :)

We played it a few times, and enjoyed it, but really haven't played it since. We came to the conclusion that it's "a nice place to visit", but we wouldn't want to run a campaign with it. It would be like watching a 24-hour Jet Li movie marathon. Fantastic game, though, and one we keep in reserve for when we all want to kick butt with minimal effort.

diaglo

Adventurer
the last sourcebook/module/game product i dropped everything so i could run right away was:

Car Wars

man we had a blast with that game and its expansions. sunday driver, etc...

GTseng3

First Post
Honestly, the Codex Arcanis.

That's not really fair, since the Living Arcanis campaign had already started when the Codex came out so I had already played an adventure, but that adventure left me with a "Hey, this is about as good as any DND mod" feel. Then I got the Codex.

It is, unfortunately, low on crunchy bits (waiting for the Player's Guide, which should be out at GenCon, for that,) but a more beautifully detailed rendering of a world I've rarely seen. Plenty of plot hooks, zillions of secrets, more than could ever possibly be explored, all wrapped up in an ongoing national drama that reminded me of the beautiful political maneuverings that I had come to love during the best years of the "Battletech" novel line.

Another of the supplements for Arcanis, "Carnival of Swords," really impressed me. It details a particular city, Old Coryan, and then has an adventure that just blew me away. It has a great hook, plot twists, side plots to resolve, and a genuine "oh my, we have to save the world" ending. Had to run it the moment I saw it (well, rather, the moment I had it run for me, at which point I had to turn around and buy it and run it for others :) ). To the point that I craft most of my Arcanis adventures in Old Coryan now.

Treebore

First Post
Settings:

Ravenloft d20 (ran it for a year)
Wilderlands (currently running)
Codex of Erde by TLG ( read it shortly after I started my WL campaign, it was very hard not to switch right then and there, but WL is darn good too, so I decided on "patience".)
Rokugan: I am currently a player, but the more I play the more I want to run "my own" version of this setting.

Modules: NeMorens' Vault, Giants Skull, Lost City of Barakus, and the Grey Citadel. The current portion of my WL campaign is based on LCoB and GC, plus Tomb of Abysthor and Rappan Athuk are there to be used, if my players go that route.

Green Ronin's Thieves Quarter has me twitching for a good rogue'ish game.

Emiricol

Settings/Systems

For me it was Midnight, and also The Riddle of Steel. I've played Midnight, but haven't yet found anyone to play TROS with.

Modules
Rappan Athuk!

Star Wars d20
Call of Cthulhu d20
d20 Modern
Manual of the Planes
Mutants & Masterminds

All of those, when they were new, made me want to drop what I was playing and start running those. There have been plenty of other books that got me nearly as excited, but I'm in a good campaign at the moment, so no dropping is due. But, I think these books made me just about as excited when they were new:

Midnight
Arcana Unearthed
Conan RPG
Iron Kingdoms Campaign Guide

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads