D&D 5E Any reason to go Melee vs. Stay ranged as a Rogue?

Str based rogues will need to do something about AC, either multiclass or a feat. Maybe a good Thug type subclass would give medium armor prof and shield prof at 3rd level. But a fighter with a criminal/urchin background honestly makes a great thug without ever being a rogue at all.

Why the heck would any rogue make themselves strength-based?

Paraxis

Explorer
Just a reminder that any player without the Crossbow Expert feat needs to be prepared for melee in some capacity. As a GM, I quite regularly double-move bad guys into melee with any spellcasters and ranged people trying to keep their distance. They aren't stupid you know, and this isn't world of warcraft.

True, but there are other ways besides crossbow expert, shocking grasp and mobility feat spring to mind right away. Cunning action disengage, but yes any ranged weapon person worth his salt has a finesse melee weapon and any spellcaster has a save based attack cantrip just for these occasions.

Athinar

Explorer
I would start multi-classing with Rogue, then Ranger or Fighter (Archery) and Surge Action

My Halfling Rogue uses the bow (Archery), she does not like to get hit, try to stay out of the way of the Paladin, 2 fighters, Barbarian and one Ranger, they have the Melee Taking Damage job down pat
sucks up all the healing (and we don't have allot healing)

Remove ads