D&D 5E Any reason to go Melee vs. Stay ranged as a Rogue?

Fanaelialae

Legend
A lot of it just comes down to playstyle, plus the secondary and tertiary ability scores a particular player puts their points in based on the type of rogue they want to play.

Obviously DEX will always be the primary stat and start close to as max as it can get. But after that... if a player decides to prioritize WIS for the Perception boost, and/or CHA for the interaction boosts, and/or INT because they intend to cast as a Trickster... their CON might be dropped to the point where wading into battle as melee might be too dangerous-- their AC won't be high enough to offset their lower hit point total. So they'll stay at range in order to avoid attacks.

Whereas a rogue that prioritizes CON to be the highest stat after DEX (if not even higher when playing a Dwarf rogue) might feel more comfortable getting into the thick of things.

As I've made characters (for pre-gens and the like) the one thing I do feel is missing from the Rogue is the Thug sub-class... the one that prioritizes STR over DEX while still gaining the use of Sneak Attack. What is unfortunate is that if a sub-class like that was made... the "STR for DEX" switch wouldn't happen until 3rd level with the first sub-class ability, meaning that a particular rogue would have to go through the first two levels either not being able to use Sneak Attack (since they're focused on STR), or using DEX anyway in order to get Sneak Attack, even if its a crappier ability for them. Not sure what could really be done, other than the assumption that even a Thug character would have at least some DEX in order to still Stealth, Sleight of Hand and Acrobatize.

They could always make an exception to the rule and say that Thug is a subclass chosen at level 1, but at level 1 all it gives you is the ability to Sneak Attack with Str rather than finesse weapons. That's basically what I did for a barbarian subclass I made.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Basic reasons
  1. You don't have to aim around allies in melee (which grants the enemy cover)
  2. You get a second chance to hit with two-weapon fighting
  3. You can make OA's if the enemy moves away, and OA's will typically carry sneak attack damage
Essentially, a ranged rogue gains enhanced defenses (he's not hit as often) but loses out on increased damage (the enemy gets more hits in general).

Also, as a more general idea, consider the terrain you're using. Big, open spaces favor ranged attacks, but the more twists, turns, cover, and concealment you drop in, the more likely everyone is going to get up close and personal. Put 'em in a forest or a dungeon or anything other than a big field, where the enemies are only about 20-30' away, and those bows become about as useless as a damp fish (it's rough to make ranged attacks when someone is in melee with you!).

Main reason to go melee: cramped quarters. Other reason to go melee: unleashing ferocious opportunity attacks.

In other words, ranged should be your primary strategy (for everyone, not just rogues) but sometimes you can't use your primary strategy. On 5E, going melee is a tactical decision, not a build-time decision.

Nevertheless I think it is fair to say that the rogue is the best 4E-style Defender in the game. (Paladins using high-level slots to smite are competitive but eat up resources to do so.) That still doesn't make melee a primary strategy but it might come into play in bodyguard scenarios.

kerbarian

Explorer
In addition to the extra chance of landing your sneak attack when fighting with two weapons that others have mentioned, two weapons in melee gives you higher damage: 2d6 + dex instead of 1d8 + dex. Plus you can split your damage, which is occasionally useful.

If you fight in melee, you're first in line to loot the bodies of your fallen enemies, and make Sleight of Hand checks to pocket the best goodies before anyone else in the party finds them! This is much harder to do when you're sniping at enemies from the back ranks.

What?

MarkB

Legend
If you fight in melee, you're first in line to loot the bodies of your fallen enemies, and make Sleight of Hand checks to pocket the best goodies before anyone else in the party finds them! This is much harder to do when you're sniping at enemies from the back ranks.

What?

I was going to make a similar comment, but you snuck in before me.

Athinar

Explorer
So does this sound right?

Can you be both Melee and Range at the same time?
Halfling Rogues best be Ranged and hiding behind others
Elf Rogues Ranged until you get the Feat "Mobile", then you can be both
Human Rogues start with Mobile Feat at first level and stay that way
Half-Orc Rogues go Assassin

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As I've made characters (for pre-gens and the like) the one thing I do feel is missing from the Rogue is the Thug sub-class... the one that prioritizes STR over DEX while still gaining the use of Sneak Attack. What is unfortunate is that if a sub-class like that was made... the "STR for DEX" switch wouldn't happen until 3rd level with the first sub-class ability, meaning that a particular rogue would have to go through the first two levels either not being able to use Sneak Attack (since they're focused on STR), or using DEX anyway in order to get Sneak Attack, even if its a crappier ability for them. Not sure what could really be done, other than the assumption that even a Thug character would have at least some DEX in order to still Stealth, Sleight of Hand and Acrobatize.

I now of course have to remind myself (having seen it pointed out in the other thread about thrown weapons and Sneak Attack) that in fact my concerns are completely unfounded. STR-based Rogues can use Sneak Attack from the very beginning because I completely forgot that Finesse Weapons can use DEX *or* STR for their attacks. So as long as a STR-based Rogue uses a Finesse weapon... he/she can get Sneak Attack while using STR for attack rolls and damage.

I have to keep reminding myself of this.

Paraxis

Explorer
Str based rogues will need to do something about AC, either multiclass or a feat. Maybe a good Thug type subclass would give medium armor prof and shield prof at 3rd level. But a fighter with a criminal/urchin background honestly makes a great thug without ever being a rogue at all.

Just a reminder that any player without the Crossbow Expert feat needs to be prepared for melee in some capacity. As a GM, I quite regularly double-move bad guys into melee with any spellcasters and ranged people trying to keep their distance. They aren't stupid you know, and this isn't world of warcraft.

Remove ads