D&D 5E Any thoughts on what we will be getting with the Warlock UA coming up?

Cyvris

First Post
Moon Phase -» like the Cosmic sorcerer of 4e, binding yourself to the different moon phases, each giving you different effects when you cast.

At this point if we don't get a "Cosmic" Warlock I might have to go and make one, ripping features from 4e's Star Pact and Cosmic Sorcerer. The Great Old One sort of did it, but 4e Star Pact had sooooooo much more flavor I feel.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think it would be interesting to have a ''star'' pact not focused on lovecrafitan lore but more on the relation with the astral world. I guess its harder since 5e removed the whole Astral Sea thing from 4e; we're more or less stuck with the idea that the starry nights belong to Chtulhu and friends.

Dualazi

First Post
When 5e started, I really expected that the chainlock was going to be the big summoner, and I was pretty disappointed with what we got. Last week someone asked Mike Mearls on twitter about why so few spells like summoning or animate dead in 5e, and he said they were too powerful (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/02/03/why-fewer-spells-like-summon-monster-and-animate-dead-in-5e/). That makes me think it is unlikely that the warlock is getting a summoning boost.

Yeah, on the one hand, I know summon balance has always been fiddly. On the other hand, they already failed balancing it this edition with what we have, so I'm not sure a new offering would be substantially worse. I think this could be doubly true for a warlock, which (in my opinion) would be more likely to summon 1-2 powerful minions rather than a horde of weaker ones.

Plus, a lot of work has gone into the ranger and its animal companion, I can't think it'd be too difficult to port that over in some respect. Maybe have the warlock pet be more utility focused than the ranger so as to step on its toes less.

Remove ads