D&D General Anyone ever run (or played in) a campaign with entire party (or almost) was a single class?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I have been in two campaigns where each character was multiclass with the same base class.

First one was barbarians, where we started at lvl 2, so everyone could build their own marauder. I played a skald, ie. barb/bard.

The second time we played a band, everyone a bard, and I think it took several levels before anyone multiclassed.

jasper

Rotten DM
I have DMed a module with all paladins but not a campaign. I think as long as you did not tailor most encounters it would be fun. But I would tailor some encounters so they super heroes, and other encounters where they would be super zeroes.

Does 4 out of 5 PCs in a 2E FR campaign being Specialty Priests count? I participated in that once (player rather than DM). We were all SPs of different gods, and a lot of them were kind of class-adjacent, and SPs in the FR were generally great, so it worked pretty well. Didn't last because we got distracted but still. 5th PC was a Halfling Psionicist who was just a wonderful character to have in the party, and the only PC Halfling I've ever seen played for more than a couple of sessions in D&D (that said Halfling sidekick/hireling-types seem to be common in groups I've been in).

Merifluous

Explorer
My players decided to play all clerics (just a 4 person party) in 3.5e to punish me after I TPKed them in the previous campaign (my only TPK in 20 years of DMing). It worked. I stupidly decided to make the vampires of Westgate the main villian. The final fight lasted like 2 rounds. That said, we probably reference and talk about that campaign more than any other. It went to 16th level IIRC.

the Jester

Legend
Do they ever get into situations that they can't handle?

They haven't yet! Their last session was a real stress test for them, with all of them being 4th or 5th level; they had one encounter that basically lasted the whole session, wherein they fought three vampire spawn, a darkling, two berserkers, and a priest. It was very, very rough, and left most of them pretty much entirely depleted, at only a handful or three of hit points, and with their max hps reduced from the vampires' bites. They still managed to triumph, though- even with a real dearth of magic weapons!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Isn't when you tell players what class they must use, the same time they start walking out?

My players decided to play all clerics (just a 4 person party) in 3.5e to punish me after I TPKed them in the previous campaign (my only TPK in 20 years of DMing). It worked. I stupidly decided to make the vampires of Westgate the main villian. The final fight lasted like 2 rounds. That said, we probably reference and talk about that campaign more than any other. It went to 16th level IIRC.
Four clerics spend four turns turning undead.

Holy light blinds everyone, and the vampire lies flat on the floor, unmoving.

It twitches. It casually stands up, and dusts off its fine, tailored dinner jacket. It has one thing to say before it strikes:

"Turn resistance."

Undrave

Legend
Actually, yes, back in 3.0. We were all 13th year olds, our very first DnD game. I was the DM.
Every single player (five or six kids) played a human fighter, with the exception of one elf fighter. Named Legolas, of course.
Turned out, nobody bothered to read the spell casting section.

Only TRUE way to play the game! Woot woot!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Isn't when you tell players what class they must use, the same time they start walking out?
I think the assumption would be you pitch the idea the idea first, like (I assume?) people do for most games. Like "My turn to DM is coming up soon, I was thinking of running something a little different, what do you think?"

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I think the assumption would be you pitch the idea the idea first, like (I assume?) people do for most games. Like "My turn to DM is coming up soon, I was thinking of running something a little different, what do you think?"

Right, exactly. Of course I wouldn't force a game like this on my players.

On another aspect of this thread. Folks have mentioned multi-classing. I think I would say that if someone wants to multi-class outside the "core" character class, I would put some restrictions.

1. There would have to be an in-fiction reason they start the multi-class. For example, if they want to be a wizard, they would have to find a spellbook. I would work with them to provide them with that in-fiction reason; but it might come with a cost or complication :devilish:
  2. They would have to find an in-fiction mentor to train them past 2nd level in the off-class. And learning that other class would take downtime - no levelling in that class mid-adventure.
  3. The multi-class level can never be higher than (or maybe more than half) of the core class level.
Again, these are all rules I'd run past my players first...

Last edited:

Remove ads