D&D 4E Anyone playing 4e at the moment?

Lyxen

Great Old One
Poor question for game design: we don't "need" anything. The real question is, "How is a formal structure useful?" And the answer is, "

It might be useful, or it might be cumbersome and unneeded.

Why not? Skill challenges as a framework do not have a single built-in time scale. You could quite easily have a skill challenge that factors in things like travelling between locations, spending resources now to avoid rolling (or compensate for bad rolls) vs. saving them for later in that challenge or other challenges down the road, or leveraging past successes (or failures!) to shape the future points of difficulty or conflict.

In fact, I could absolutely see something like a month of warfare being structured as a Skill Challenge--including elements like battle strategy (a History roll), foraging off the land to keep up your non-perishable supplies (Nature), keeping troop morale up with religious ceremonies (Religion) or entertainment (Diplomacy), disguising the movements of your forces or distracting the enemy with false efforts (Bluff or Stealth, depending), executing feints or ballsy gambits like Hannibal executing a pincer maneuver on a larger force during the Battle of Cannae (again, Bluff or Stealth), or various other valid paths--and each decision would rationally build on the previous, changing the theater of war and shifting local opinions, the opinions of civilian leadership backing the PCs and their army/armies, and overall troop numbers and morale/fitness.

Yes, you could do something like that with no formal system whatsoever. But with a formal system, it becomes possible to seek leverage, which almost always adds interest to the process. Further, a formal system can create both dread and excitement as the final result nears, while keeping things clearly "fair" because the fundamental rules-objective was clear and defined in advance. (Plus, let's be honest, it's not like the Skill Challenge system is THAT formal! It's literally just, "get X successes before Y failures," any further embellishments being something players did to improve it, not the underlying system.)

This does not take into account the quality of the successes and failures, the drama and the story, and the way the players react and participate to it. So either you make the count visible and I can guarantee that the players will just try to use skills to increase the count of successes, or you hide it, and in that case it really serves no purpose except to constrain the DM into declaring an overall failure or success when the count reaches a pre-determined value.

As a DM, I don't want the players to hunt successes and skill rolls, and I value the story and my players reaction to it more than counting things arbitrarily because when I created the scenario I certainly did not envision all the ways to succeed and fail. So why bind myself arbitrarily to these?

Again, it's a question of playing style mostly, I'm not denigrating another way of playing, just explaining the one that we prefer. And it's linked to preparation, for example I usually don't try and find the ways by which the PCs might succeed. I present a situation, just trying to make it so that it does not look impossible to get out of, and then I go with the flow and the PCs ideas.

This avoid any sort of railroading towards pre-determined solutions - and again I'm not accusing anyone of railroading or saying that a bit is bad or not, just the fact that listing the solutions and where the PCs get points is already creating some structure that will guide the results.

Okay. Do you think D&D should be designed primarily to get out of the way of experienced players as much as possible, or primarily to help and support new players as much as possible?

Well, please consider the fact that 5e, which does not have these formal structures, has been what, ten times more successful than 4e ever was in introducing new players to the hobby.

For me, it's because it's easy to play overall, and does not have much formalism or actually even a jargon and technical vocabulary.

So for me, there are better ways to support new players.

Because I think it's pretty trivial for very experienced players to look at the system and say, "Nah, that's not how I want to do things." On the flipside, it's often very hard for a band-new, inexperienced player (especially if they're DMing) to get a foothold. Supporting new players, and especially new DMs, to the utmost is critical for keeping the hobby alive and sustainable. We cannot rely solely on veteran players bringing new players into the fold; we must specifically support groups made up of exclusively new folks, even those who have never played at all before but now must step into the DM's role.

See above.

What do Skill Challenges have to do with using a grid? The two are unrelated. You can have a grid situation (whether or not it's combat) without having a Skill Challenge, and the sizable majority (I'd say 2/3 or more) of SCs I've done as a 4e player had nothing to do with running on a grid. Many were about managing crowds, persuading an important NPC, securing a resource, stopping/mitigating a disaster, or infiltrating(/exfiltrating) a location. Some were precipitated by finishing a combat, others set the stage for a subsequent combat, most had nothing to do with combat at all. Only those that specifically occurred during combat itself actually used a grid, and those were uncommon (usually having to deal with traps or environmental hazards during the fight).

It was just a tangent, to say that although it can help some people, formalising things (skill challenges, grid) has a cost in terms of ease of use of the system, that's all.

dave2008

Legend
It was just a tangent, to say that although it can help some people, formalising things (skill challenges, grid) has a cost in terms of ease of use of the system, that's all.
Of course you don't have to have one or the other. Just like there are several "official" methods to determine ability scores, there could be formal and informal rules and guidelines for social structures. I see enough people clamoring for them that it makes sense, to me, to add them to the game. If I don't like them, they are easy enough to ignore. However, if you don't have them, they are harder to design myself.

Lyxen

Great Old One
And of course you can run "freeform," buy simply ignoring the structures given and it still works.

But then, what's the point in having the structures in the first place ? ;)

Again, it's just a matter of preference, if you like them, by all means use them, but as I don't like/use them, why should I bother with them ? A simpler, less structured game is much more appropriate and avoids us burdenning players, especially beginners, with things that they won't need...

Lyxen

Great Old One
It helps some people. Many new DMs have a hard time with parts that don't have a structure. For old timers like you and me, maybe not so useful, but I still find some good ideas in there.

As I said, I tried the idea of the skill challenges, but in the end the structure always ended up more a hindrance than a bonus, when I reached the numbers of successes and failures and thought "well, the PCs did not deserve that (or not yet anyway) or when the PCs did something really good or bad and I thought "Well, that's it, it ends now, I don't need to see much more".

Truth be told, you can run a completely free form game in 4e. It had good resources for improv in the DMG. I ran a whole adventure in 4e that was completely improv. No powers, no spells, just the players telling me (the DM) what they wanted to do and I adjudicated based on the rules in the game. I just think the tightness of the game structure frightens some people away from this approach.

Similar to above, you don't need a map to play 4e. It can be run TotM, just like any other edition. Another example for you: I ran an Epic (lvl 30) adventure for my players during a 12 hr car ride (minivan actually). 6 hours one way and 6 hours back. We had no grid or minis and we rolled our dice in a box so we wouldn't loose them. It was actually the most epic adventure I ran in 4e and it was completely TotM.

FYI, I just wanted to be clear, all of my games have moved to 5e and I no longer play 4e, but I think it is a great game.

It was not a bad game when we played it, and a number of us enjoyed the tactical aspect of the fights in particular, or the balance that the class design brought (although the classes ended up being barely recognisable in some cases), but most of us felt constrained, again, what's the point of having structures if all you do is ditch them.

But I loved my Swordmage, really miss the fact that she has no equivalent in 5e.

dave2008

Legend
But then, what's the point in having the structures in the first place ? ;)
For those it would help.
Again, it's just a matter of preference, if you like them, by all means use them, but as I don't like/use them, why should I bother with them ? A simpler, less structured game is much more appropriate and avoids us burdenning players, especially beginners, with things that they won't need...
You can have both is my point. If WotC had added skill challenge-esque system to 5e, you could have as little or as much impact as you want it to have.

You and I could still play 5e as we do know, there would just be an option for those who want a bit more structure.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I already said in my opinion it is missing out, much like removing a tool both a teaching tool as you acknowledge and one useful particularly when part of it is presented player side in the narrative to create a build up of suspense. And as a formalized tool this is pretty incredibly open ended with more incommon with many of games which heck do not even have a distinct combat system from their skill system.

I know, we've played tons of these, but we always come back to D&D for its specific ambiance.

To be honest D&D is in most things incredibly heavy mechanically and SC are probably the least so of any of the rules elements this game presents.

3e and 4e were heavily mechanistic, but 5e is not, you should try PF and PF2...

Any arena where skills are used are already using a lower level formal structure. We are talking about an extension of that which fairly simply shows how individual skill use impacts a larger picture and tracks that which I feel is no less appropriate to social arenas. I feel this enables skills to have a higher potency by showing how they impact a whole process when I have seen unsophisticated oops you go nowhere as the the default for very many of D&D DMs over the years in particular newbies but some never get out of that the system does not encourage them to.

I have honestly no idea whether one approach is more frequent than another, so I can't comment, the only thing I can say is that there are skills in all systems now, and if the DM incites the players to use them, they will, if he does not, they may or may not, but I don't think that the Skill Challenge encourages things specifically unless you lay it out plainly, in which case I really don't like it, I prefer my players to game th e world rather than the system.

Are you ignoring the rituals and the option and example where a rituals specific effects already fairly open ended were altered by use of arcana skill (I think the example might have also been in one of the DMGs)

Rituals are just rituals and fairly standard now, but I'm talking about spells used for intrigue or out of combat, in 4e, it's always grids and squares and encounter formalism.

There might be options to do without that, but then what's the point of the formalism ?

I feel this is only because you chose to restrict that. For instance as DM inspired by the DMG2 allowing one to exert and spend a healing surge to gain an auto success, there are at will ice based attacks that a DM such as I might allow one to use to freeze a surface and walk across a lake (it required expending a healing surge since it is unusual amounts of longer term effort than the power normally involved) .

You can argue that the game did not encourage that enough if you like but I feel saying there can be no clever use of powers or rituals is just wrong.

It's not for lack of trying, but with all the formalism in the game, our DMs at the time played it formally, and it never happened in our campaigns.

you seem to be ignoring rituals but you bring it up right here where you actually considering 4e rituals locked down?? And in a few short years there are hundreds more of them in 4e than in the recent game. I sorely miss real rituals with an actual strategic cost.

I agree that the new rituals are not as complete as 4e ones, but on the reverse, it's because the spells and powers of 5e are much more open-ended and useful out of combat, so it more than balances itself out with our way of playing.

yes extraordinary skills where are those in 5e exactly? they certainly never happened in the earliest games and with that shabby few percentiles more than your low level character got the paltry advancement in skill chances inhibits seeing them as extraordinary ... never mind the wizard can now teleport the lot of us mid battle to safety instantly Hurray for brilliant use of magic to trivialize a problem an effect that will never happen with skill use.

Remember that was all the non casters ever got.

No, they also got tons of mafic items that at least partially compensated, that was the fun of the game.

Not sure how exactly character abilities in those earlier games scaled to enable that? oops your still incredibly meh dexterity and no skill advancement either "you fall off" seems as likely a result maybe you wont die with super sized hps.

right only magic is being complained about I get your bias and you are ignoring rituals that rarely ever mentions grids.

Whoa, please don't go in terms of bias and such, we are just discussing preferences, OK ?

Rituals don't mention grids, but they are also fairly useless in intrigue and free form gaming, and don't compensate for the use of spells and powers in non-combat situation, that's all.

After that, to each their own and their style of gaming. It's not as if we did not try it, we did, it was not bad, but it did not suit our style of gaming, that's all.

yup most people misuse tactical to mean grid based

Players having each available longer term resources in 4e from action points to dailies and wealth which scales to level to fuel things from rituals to healing surges which can be directly applied or fuel martial practices (which needed adjusted to be worth their cost) or hint enhance skills/powers in a skill challenge.

And this fits exactly with the 4e adventuring paradigm.

Which does not fit our conception of the game, because we don't approach it in a technical manner at all. But again, to each his own.

dave2008

Legend
As I said, I tried the idea of the skill challenges, but in the end the structure always ended up more a hindrance than a bonus, when I reached the numbers of successes and failures and thought "well, the PCs did not deserve that (or not yet anyway) or when the PCs did something really good or bad and I thought "Well, that's it, it ends now, I don't need to see much more".
To be honest, skill challenges were not well developed in 4e. I like the concept, however, execution in the DMG & DMG 2 was not the best. I did find some wonderful examples online though. The key to doing them well was to make it organic, so the players didn't even know when they were in a skill challenge. At least IMO.

If I ever formalize a system in 5e I will make it more like the VP system in PF2. Which is a version of the skill challenge, but more flexible IMO.
It was not a bad game when we played it, and a number of us enjoyed the tactical aspect of the fights in particular, or the balance that the class design brought (although the classes ended up being barely recognisable in some cases), but most of us felt constrained, again, what's the point of having structures if all you do is ditch them.
I've heard that complaint, but I didn't experience it with my players. I did experience it a bit as a DM. But my players had a ball.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Rituals don't mention grids, but they are also fairly useless in intrigue and free form gaming, and don't compensate for the use of spells and powers in non-combat situation, that's all.
Umm NO heavens what are you asserting with that? ... Making a perfect copy of an official document? (infiltration tool) Finding out what the dead saw just before they died? (powerful murder mystery tool almost always happening with intrigue assassination being a ploy) Sending a communication to a city miles off faster than any human messenger can travel? (time sensitive situations in general with distributed allies). An area of effect truth spell (completely useless in an intrigue situation /sarcasm) . I really do not get where you are coming from they are explicitly magical effects and quite useful in non-combat situations.

Also yes you can burn down a forest with a fireball sheesh.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I know, we've played tons of these, but we always come back to D&D for its specific ambiance
I have a fondness for it too.
Rituals are just rituals and fairly standard now,
Standard? no in 4e rituals were an investment with strategic cost and there were large numbers of them and you could know virtually any number, 5e has nearly none at all.

but I'm talking about spells used for intrigue or out of combat, in 4e, it's always grids and squares and encounter formalism.

No, they also got tons of mafic items that at least partially compensated, that was the fun of the game.
Every second DM was doing their idea of a low magic world back in the early 80s and yeh no magic items never did compensate when other characters were turning into dragons under their own steam or warping reality with a wish spell not saying it couldn't happen but I do not think I ever saw someone get a Stormbringer which summoned a hundred of its clones to attack every enemy I can see on the battlefield but I can do that as a high level Swordmage in 4e by choosing the right path.

High level 4e characters are high level under their own steam regardless of class

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I find 5e to be "naughty word" ton of work to DM both because elements are too simplistic for my taste like the monsters being a boring bag of hit points and because guidance is non-existant or contradicts the story I expect (right my epic demigod pc is 20 percent better at a skill they they are trained in ... sounds positively mundane level of skill ) back to 1e where dancing from a flying carpet to the back of dodging dragon is probably a terrible fall no matter what level you are...

Remove ads