D&D 4E Anyone playing 4e at the moment?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, I agree. I have said several times that 5e doesn't promise epic play.

IT describes the end result of its last tier with the same features 4es epic tier did. A transformative destiny that leaves you no longer mortal or even something else entirely (occasionally not too just like 4e's epic destiny)

dave2008

Legend
you were claiming 4e failed its story match up that is what epic is about of course the conversation is about story and 5e succeeded by changing mechanics for plus 20 which based on game story is like saying 4e failed on levels over 30.
No I was claiming 4e said epic was core and didn't deliver that (marketing speak, nothing about the game "story" which I don't really care that much about). As I think we have identified at this point my idea of epic is different than yours. I also didn't say 5e succeed. In fact, I repeatedly said it was OK, or they didn't do enough. How is that succeeding? I mean, it just seems like you are not even really looking at what I am writing. I did say I like the idea of epic boons better than 10 more levels. Finally, I never said 4e should have levels beyond 30, not sure where you got that.

I also find it odd that I have repeatedly validated your viewpoint and all you seem to want to do is be disrespectful or belittle mine. That just isn't cool.
The story describing the tiers tells that the levels 20 to 30 in has the same intent in 4e as the final few in 5e.
Ok I am wrong , everything you think is correct and there could be no way I could have preferred something different than what 4e provided. It was all a mirage.

dave2008

Legend
IT describes the end result of its last tier with the same features 4es epic tier did. A transformative destiny that leaves you no longer mortal.
Fantastic! You caught me I am completely wrong and will start playing 4e again! I simple am not talking about the descriptions of the tiers of play. And I never have been.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Fantastic! You caught me I am completely wrong and will start playing 4e again! I simple am not talking about the descriptions of the tiers of play. And I never have been.
I wasn't talking about your preference or it being wrong either just really your translation between the two games you were comparing apples beyond end game to oranges the lead up to it.

dave2008

Legend
Here is the swordmage power I mentioned early... and my Warlord with the high Intelligence could easily spend a feat taking Blade initiate then have that power and use it very effectively. Its not even an Epic Destiny power either.
Interesting, you keep talking about the cool things martials can do in 4e (which I agree with), yet you highlight a magic power!

dave2008

Legend
I wasn't talking about your preference or it being wrong either just really your translation between the two games you were comparing apples beyond end game to oranges the lead up to it.
I see your point, but I don't think those description particularly map on to the actual game. Regardless, I didn't hold my 4e games to the tier descriptions and I don't hold my 5e games to them either.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
No I was claiming 4e said epic was core and didn't deliver that (marketing speak, nothing about the game "story" which I don't really care that much about). As I think we have identified at this point my idea of epic is different than yours. I also didn't say 5e succeed.
What does "epic:" mean sans story?
You just decided mechanics being roughly the same meant the game could not be epic "epic" which has no definition to me without connection with story?

In fact, I repeatedly said it was OK, or they didn't do enough. How is that succeeding?
nods I exaggerated oooh.
I mean, it just seems like you are not even really looking at what I am writing. I did say I like the idea of epic boons better than 10 more levels. Finally, I never said 4e should have levels beyond 30, not sure where you got that.
I did not say you did say that, I was saying that is where you would get the adventuring post what 4e called epic destiny and what 5e called its transformative destiny where a druid might become a nature spirit and so on level 20 and level 30. To me I see it as 4e made no suggestion for adventuring beyond the finale.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I see your point, but I don't think those description particularly map on to the actual game. Regardless, I didn't hold my 4e games to the tier descriptions and I don't hold my 5e games to them either.
To a degree you can even pick more human epic destinies and or describe things way more mundane in 4e too. Stretch the tiers by actual choices along side the presentations. If you have player buy in the genre can be adjusted.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Interesting, you keep talking about the cool things martials can do in 4e (which I agree with), yet you highlight a magic power!
I feel it is an option that is perhaps a bit off the scale but definitely epic and more speaks to whether even more could be done in 4e yes so yes I will agree that based on my standards I too think 4e could have leveraged up the epic of epic tier, just not thinking it takes different tools. Nothing like it is in 5e either I would suspect.

I like both casters and martial, martial just seems to have more of an uphill battle.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think 4es description mapped better. With characters exceeding human range of attributes and the out classing of other tier enemies and obstacles and the like 5e actively strove not to do that.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases