Anyone seen "The Order"?

Tsyr

Explorer
I just rented it... about halfway through it. Pretty good so far, I'm actually strongly thinking about buying it.

Only problem is, several parts of it are apparently more signifigant that I am able to understand...

Anyone else see it? Opinions? Does it make more sense if you're Catholic?

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
I've only seen about half way, so I can't spoil the ending, but so far, it's about some sort of sect of the catholic church that deals heavily into the more occultish things...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Tsyr said:
Anyone else see it? Opinions? Does it make more sense if you're Catholic?

Expecting to learn anything substantive about Catholicism from The Order (or movies like it, such as that piece of grade-B garbage, Stigmata) is a lot like expecting termites to do home repairs.

As often as not, I disagree with the movie reviews on this site, but this one was pretty much dead on.

Tsyr

Explorer
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else... critics more or less universaly hated it. I like watching movies critics hate though, I often find movies I really like.

Tsyr

Explorer
Mark Chance said:
Expecting to learn anything substantive about Catholicism from The Order (or movies like it, such as that piece of grade-B garbage, Stigmata) is a lot like expecting termites to do home repairs.

As often as not, I disagree with the movie reviews on this site, but this one was pretty much dead on.

I wasn't expecting to learn anything, no. But there are a few points of minutia that confused me until I looked on the internet... The pre-vatican-2 mass in the beginning, for example... I was more wondering if I was missing any subtexts because of not understanding things like that.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
BTW, Mark... is your boingy-boingy avatar broke, or is it my browser? I see one frame that stays the same while the animation plays...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Tsyr said:
I wasn't expecting to learn anything, no.

By the same token, don't expect an actual knowledge of Catholicism would clarify anything about the movie other than how egregiously wrong are its representations of Catholicism. That was my real point, not that anyone would turn to the movie as a teaching tool (or, at least, I certainly hope no one would). :)

Remove ads