• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone Up For Some FR Discussion?

Weeble

First Post
The Shades? Umm, I think it is pretty epic and overshadows (no pun:D ) every other power group in the Realms. They should eventually be able to take over everything, maybe?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Well, keep in mind they're only one city, and only small percentage of its inhabitants are actually shades and/or wizards. Yes, that's a few thousand very dangerous fellows, but I think that they need to tread very carefully, lest they unite the surrounding kingdoms and agents of Good around them. In my story hour, I had a shade agent working with the church of Cyric in the Western Heartlands, and am currently planning on interjecting them into the campaign in other subtle ways.

Do the Realms really need another uber-bad-guy group? How many groups with the potential power to take over the entire world can there be, anyway?

Joker

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Do the Realms really need another uber-bad-guy group? How many groups with the potential power to take over the entire world can there be, anyway?

How many people are there in the realms :D?

Tata.

Xarlen

First Post
Well, technically, if there are so many badguy groups with the power to take over the world... They're mainly trying to undermine eachother, so THEY can get it. So, it all balances out...

Not to mention, all those super NPCs can take care of serious threats (Unless you wanna play Epic rules, and thus the PCs can just take Elminster's place).

Numion

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

I suppose they want FR to be able to offer different adversaries for different DMs. Settings that revolve mainly around certain constant threat get boring easily. Like WW2 game with nothing but Nazis. Or some Cthulhu games.

Considering the size of the Realms there aren't that many powerful groups. Thay, Shades and Zhentil Keep. Maybe Drow too, but I don't think they'd really want to duke it out on the surface. Zhentil Keep doesn't seem that powerful too.

That leaves us with Red Wizards and the Shades, which I think is pretty cool. Two wielder of great arcane might, but who've chosen different ways to wield that might. Shades have the legacy of Netheril backing them up, while Red Wizards are self-made masters of the art. (And more importantly, the Thayans are humans. It's about time humans were the bestest casters evar, instead of some pansy elves ;))

Xarlen

First Post
I'll note, also, that the Zhents are more interested in simply conquering an area of the map. I think it's from the Sea of Fallen Stars to the Sword coast, or somesuch. They're not looking for Faerunian domination, simply a nice land mass they have enfluence over.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads