• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone Up For Some FR Discussion?

Wow, my off the cuff thought stirred up a very minor hornet's nest! I remain unconvinced, however. There's too many ultra-bad-guys in the FR. Makes for a very strange feel to the world. I guess that's what has to happen when FR positions itself as a powerful campaign setting.

Still, what's wrong with only one or two main bad guys? Ever heard of Star Wars? One bad guy for six movies? Ever heard of the Batman franchise? Sucks because of too many bad-guys?

Anyway...

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Hey Joshua, good to see you back from vacation! Did you have a good time?:)

You make some good points, but I think that the various evil-elements in the commercial FR are simply there as a palette, so to speak. For example:

(1) In one particular campaign, maybe the Drow and the Cult of the Dragon are the main evil force.

(2) In another campaign, perhaps it is the Red Wizards, and the Shade people.

(3) Still yet in another campaign, the main evil villains might be the Zhentarrim, and Amn or some other human kingdom or organization.

In each of these examples, they may be the prime enemy forces, and in those worlds, the other ones might not be so successful, and may be down-played. It all depends on the campaign. They are there, I think, to allow more variety for different campaigns. I don't think it is unreasonable to see that being the case. Indeed, if all such evil groups were equally powerful and dominant, it could serve as a problem of congruity. I doubt though that many FR campaigns play with every evil group, of equal power and dominance. What do you think?

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Lazybones

Adventurer
Indeed. In a campaign set in the east, they might not even have heard of the Zhentarim, and in a campaign in the Western Heartlands, mentioning the Red Wizards to someone might draw the response, "Hmm... aren't those the guys who sell potions?"

I like the diversity in the FR, and the ability to pick and choose as a gamemaster which elements I will include. I think it's just important to let players know that this is YOUR campaign, and that some elements might not match precisely what is in the books.

The FRCS itself even encourages the DM to do this, IIRC.

When I first read about the shades, I thought they were really "over the top," but when I introduced one into my story hour, everyone (well, at least those who replied) thought they were really cool. If they don't fit in your campaign, don't use 'em (after all, the phaerim aren't totally powerless, especially now that the prison is down, and the shades still see them as the primary enemy).

Nine Hands

Explorer
Personally I like them.

The human lands see them as a new threat, while some of the older races (Elves and Dwarves) have a pretty bad history with most Arcanists. Remember that Nethril was pretty mean to most non-humans and these races tend to have a long memory.

For me they are a useful tool to bring in ancient magics that have not been seen for millenia.

I also like the large amount of evil power groups in the Realms, you will NEVER meet all of them in a single campaign so there is enough to go around. In some campaigns you face off against Zhents, the Unseen, and the Knights of the Shield another campaign might see you facing Drow, Shades, and Thavians. Some of these threats are lower level and some are higher level, it is all a matter of personal taste.

Thank you, SHARK!

Yes, the vacation was nice. We went to Branson, MO. Frankly I had my reservations about the place, and seeing buses full of retired tour groups didn't help me out much. Still, we had a good time and the kids had a blast seeing their cousins again.

As to your reply, yes, that's the only real solution. It's a clumsy one, though. In the interest of playability and options for players and DMs, FR has elected to eschew an approach that actually makes any sense.

I suppose it's a calling card, signature kind of deal for FR, but it's exactly for this reason that I don't like the really high-powered types of games. When you've got half a dozen groups, each powerful enough and ambitious enough to take over the entire world (or more) yet somehow they never actually do much of anything except sit around and scheme: that doesn't really inspire me much as a player or a DM.

Numion

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
In the interest of playability and options for players and DMs, FR has elected to eschew an approach that actually makes any sense.

Makes sense?

Yes, it doesn't make sense, but it seems that neither does the real world. USA has more enemies than a few, with different levels of hostility and power. Taleban, The Red Wiz.. err Communists of China, Gaddafi, Hussein... the list goes on yes, they make no sense.

If it flies in the real world, why not fantasy? Should all real world games be about Hussein? That'd be boring.

Xarlen

First Post
I'd think that all those bad groups can't take over the world because... All those bad groups.

The Red Wizards would likely be exceedingly threatened by Shade. Shade has very slight tieings with the Zhents; they're trying to make negotiation deals, but they're not buddies. The Drow are on their own, but slowly making a slight surface impact.

With all that power, they have to be Careful. They have A) Competition, A) Oposition from the 'good' sides.

Besides, Forgotten Realms is supposed to seem a Lot more gritty, now. It's supposed to feel like these groups have a grip, and the PCs have to work to Stop them. The Zhents influence buliding with the humanoid tribes, to train them as a fodder army? You need to root out the cause of these humanoids' sudden quality equipment, and their skill. Go stop the humanoids! You halt the Zhent's approach in the area, and destroy a possible army for them.

I'm a huge fan of the Shades. Their artwork is terrific, their history intriguing (a good way to introduce Netheril in any case) and their power and style admirable. Anauroch has turned much more interesting after their return and the terraforming inside the Empire of Shades opens a new well of possibilities. This also promises to bring the Phaerimm and the Sharn back onto the stage big-time.

-Zarrock

TBoarder

Explorer
Weeble said:
my problem with FR is that they use too many names or places modeled nearly the same as in our real world....

(bash away)

Well, the Mulhorand area has a somewhat legitimate excuse, since it's implied (By how I'm reading it) that the Imaskari got their slaves from ancient egyptian Earth. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads