Apomp, Demodands, Shackled City, Fiendish Princes and PrC's

Tinner

First Post
Here's the scenario.
I'm running SCAP. The PC's are 10th level, and just beginning the Test of the Smoking Eye.
We're using the optional character backgrounds from the SCAP hardcover, and I have a CN Human Warmage who is also is a perfect candidate for the test of the Smoking Eye .
He's also leaning heavily toward evil, and I've dropped a subplot where a known fiendish creature has been tempting him toward the dark side.
I had originally thought this might be Azmodeus, to tie into the War Mage's love of fire spells, then I considered Graz'zt to tie into the SCAP. Now though, I'm leaning towards making his tempter somehow connected to the Demodands.

Do the Demodands have anything similar to a Duke of Hell? Or a Fiendish Prince?
I'm aware of Apomp, but I know next to nothing of him.
Ideally I'd like some sort of figure that could justify the War Mage taking a feat like Thrall to Demon (Thrall to Demodand?) and some sort of Thrall PrC.

Any suggestions?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Apomps was a baernaloth, the ancient creators of the yugoloth race. While they aren't rulers, per se, I could see someone who learned of one becoming its thrall. Their power levels vary, but are easily on par with most of the archfiends.

For a thrall PrC, I'd probably have it gain at least the following abilities:

• Freedom of movement: All demodands possess this.
  • Immunity to poison: Ditto.
  • Some sort of slime: Each demodand has its own kind of secreted slime (adhesive, acidic, and paralyzing)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Also, all demodands possess the following SLAs:

At will -- clairaudience/clairvoyance, detect magic, fear (DC 17), invisibility, tongues;
3/day -- fog cloud, ray of enfeeblement;
2/day--dispel magic

You could probably grant a few of these 1/day for the thrall PrC.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Tinner said:
Do the Demodands have anything similar to a Duke of Hell? Or a Fiendish Prince?

Not really. The three ranks of Demodand don't have the bloodthirsty competition for rank and power seen among the other fiends, really there's a rejection of what they might view as a flaw of their yugoloth cousins, and so they have a racial unification/harmonization against everything that isn't them.

Though there aren't any special ranks above the Shators, there are still some of that rank that are more notable than others. Xideous is one such individual (currently working on a revision to the Book of Keeping), and there are likely more powerful Shators who serve as clerics of Apomps, though among their race they aren't necessarily accorded more power in the political sense of the word.

I'm aware of Apomp, but I know next to nothing of him.

He's a renegade/exiled Baernaloth who fell afoul of his kindred by creating the demodands around the same time that they were creating the yugoloths (which was actually created first depends on who you ask). It's likely that Carceri as a distinct plane first formed as a result of his exodus from the Gray Waste along with his creations.

The demodands worship him as a god, and his exact status as such is... wierd. He grants true clerical magic to his children, but the scope of some of his powers within Carceri is above and beyond what should even be capable for a greater deity. Every demodand also exists as something of a virtual extension of him, capable of acting like sensory extensions and limbs for their creator spread across the planes, and each is linked into a racial memory pool of sorts that again is another connection with/through Apomps. That link is due to an obsidian triangle around their neck present at the creation of each new member of their kind, and which becomes powerless if the fiend who it was created for ever dies. It goes without saying that any demodand whose triangle is stolen will do anything to get it back regardless of the cost to itself.

Apomps has only been described as a grossly malformed Baernaloth, though in my uses of him I've tended to have him manifest in two particular forms: a trio of Baernaloths fused at the back like perverse siamese triplets, or a group of one of each type of demodand with black voids for eyes, all speaking with the same voice, randomly finishing one anothers' statements.

I don't know enough about the first Adventure Path to really speak much about the demodand presence in that adventure (haven't gotten copies to read through yet unfortunately). But I could see a powerful Shator seeking to find puppets among mortals and granting them bits of power so long as it ultimately served the needs of Apomps. Apomps itself might be less likely to directly interact with non-demodands, but you're welcome to wander around Agathys looking for him I suppose. :)

Remove ads