D&D General ARcana -- Augmented TTRPG Platform from Actor Joe Manganiello

Mirrorscape, an augmented reality company which includes actor Joe Manganellio as Creative Director, is a way to view your game's tabletop in AR through a phone or tablet device. It's on Kickstarter now with a planned release at the end of this year. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mirrorscape/arcana-augmented-reality-platform-for-ttrpgs The platform works as an iOS or Android app...

Mirrorscape, an augmented reality company which includes actor Joe Manganellio as Creative Director, is a way to view your game's tabletop in AR through a phone or tablet device. It's on Kickstarter now with a planned release at the end of this year.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 3.11.11 PM.png

The platform works as an iOS or Android app, and enables you to simulate a full tabletop with models, scenery, and miniatures, anywhere you have a flat surface.

You can purchase additional terrain or miniatures from Mirrorscape's partners, which include Dwaven Forge, Reaper Minis, Hero Forge, and Fat Dragon Games.

If you pledge $30 (or more) in the Kickstarter you get a starter set and a discount on terrain and mini packs; and at higher levels you get beta access (staring at $50) and Kickstarter exclusives.

R_J_K75

Legend
Ok, last post unless people have questions about this compared to the others....

this is pricey compared to all the other 3d VTTs that aren't Talespire. You'll want the $150 level, and that comes with almost no minis, really. Currently, there is no way to import other minis. If they'd even give us a 2.5D standee that we could put pictures on, that would be great (think virtual skinny minis). You can import/use flat/2d images, if I read this correctly.

The art is good, as you'd expect from the companies involved. I find it interesting they've found a way to compress or otherwise lessen the strain on devices with this level of art, which is why you can't currently import things.

They have no videos of anyone actually using the tool, beyond the promos. that's kind of weird to me. Like, we really need to see this in play and use to understand why we'd want this over the other options.

Interactive terrain is great, as is seeing your spells. Some of the others have some of this, but most don't really have spells (The RPG Engine has some).

I'd love to see them really use this with a combo of physical and virtual assets.
Thx. Pretty sure this wasnt for me but got up to the $150 part of your post which confirmed its not. Also as I said up thread I can see this being an expensive long term investment if you dont want to wander through the same 5 pieces of terrain for 18 campaigns. I can hear players now, first 5 rooms of Undermountain again, I QUIT

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Thx. Pretty sure this wasnt for me but got up to the $150 part of your post which confirmed its not. Also as I said up thread I can see this being an expensive long term investment if you dont want to wander through the same 5 pieces of terrain for 18 campaigns. I can hear players now, first 5 rooms of Undermountain again, I QUIT
I think $80 is a decent level also.

I think you underestimate the amount of terrain and how varied builds would look with it, though. That's a lot of terrain for $80.

One thing, if you use other 3D VTTs that allow heroforge imports, it is worth backing at the $30 level just for the 5 free HF virtual minis! That's only $6 each, and you get the VTT (but not much terrain or many minis).

Li Shenron

Legend
For me, this stuff will all kick in when its integrated into glasses. Holding up a phone or tablet is a little too awkward for my taste, but it's a step along the road. I imagine that AR glasses will become mainstream in the next few years.
Totally!

I wouldn't bet on "few years", AR glasses were supposed to become commercially viable 10 years ago, but eventually they will get another hype later.

But the idea is definitely intriguing!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ok, sorry, one more post..... :)

They need A LOT more props. Every mapping tool and 3D VTT has props. There are pretty much no props here. So, every room and cave will be empty.....that's....not good. I don't want to pay 3-6 dollars per prop. This looks like it could get really pricey compared to even Talespire.....

R_J_K75

Legend
I think $80 is a decent level also.

I think you underestimate the amount of terrain and how varied builds would look with it, though. That's a lot of terrain for $80.

One thing, if you use other 3D VTTs that allow heroforge imports, it is worth backing at the $30 level just for the 5 free HF virtual minis! That's only $6 each, and you get the VTT (but not much terrain or many minis).
I'll have to look at the pledge levels closer. I dont currently use any 3DVTTs so this would be entry level.

Samurai

Adventurer
For me, this stuff will all kick in when its integrated into glasses. Holding up a phone or tablet is a little too awkward for my taste, but it's a step along the road. I imagine that AR glasses will become mainstream in the next few years.
I certainly understand your point, but for someone like me (over 1100/20 vision), who must wear very thick glasses to see anything at all, such forms of AR, VR, or even 3-D movies or video games don't work at all.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I need more than glasses - I need an interface to use it where I can reach out and manipulate the items and not have to deal with a touchscreen or keyboard or something else. 3d models are great to look at but to actually game with them I need interactivity.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Looks neat in theory, but seems like it would be VERY clunky in a real group.

Plus it's a HUGE burden on the DM, Roll20 is hard enough but now they expect the DM to be a set designer? That's a lot.

I'll have to see how this plays in a real session before being wow'd!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads