D&D General Augmented Reality App Mirrorscape Launches On Mobile

Download it now for free and enjoy a 3D virtual environment on your home table!

GB-L-0749.png

Mirrorscape, the augmented reality virtual tabletop, has launched for free as an open beta on iOS and Android devices. Using Mirrorscape you can create a virtual tabletop, compete with scenery and miniatures, on your empty table or floor. The open beta gives free access to the platform's range of terrain, dice, and miniatures.

At present, Mirrorscape supports Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, and Starfinder, and it's designed to be modular and allow support of a wide range of TTRPGs. The modular miniatures and terrain comes from companies Hero Forge, Dwarves Forge, Reaper, and Norse Foundry, and the platform has recently adopted the new Open RPG Creative (ORC) license. Amongst its team, Mirrorscape includes actor and D&D superfan Joe Manganiello.

Eventually, the platform will be compatible with AR headsets and glasses. You can download it for free on iOS or Android.

GB-L-0725.png

This looks like it could quite interesting to use but I have a concern. Eventually they are going to need to monetize this and unless we're going to have ads popping up in the middle of our gaming sessions, they're probably going to monetize it by selling the components (virtual walls, virtual statues, virtual spiked pits, etc.). Honestly, I'm becoming fatigued with spending money for things I can't touch (music, movies, books on Kindle, books on D&D Beyond, books on Fantasy Grounds, etc.). We are quickly heading toward a cliff where we are at the mercy of corporations to continue having access to the things we have spent our hard-earned money on.

Oofta

Legend
This looks like it could quite interesting to use but I have a concern. Eventually they are going to need to monetize this and unless we're going to have ads popping up in the middle of our gaming sessions, they're probably going to monetize it by selling the components (virtual walls, virtual statues, virtual spiked pits, etc.). Honestly, I'm becoming fatigued with spending money for things I can't touch (music, movies, books on Kindle, books on D&D Beyond, books on Fantasy Grounds, etc.). We are quickly heading toward a cliff where we are at the mercy of corporations to continue having access to the things we have spent our hard-earned money on.

Most likely they'll at least charge for minis and terrain. On the other hand If you don't want to use it, don't pay for it.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, the people who developed this have to eat. Personally? Only issue I have is that it's IOS/android only which means I can't run it on my laptop. :(

Stormonu

Legend
It's a great idea, I've looked at similar products elsewhere. The problem always is - you have to hold the device to "see the table". Can make it difficult to also be trying to use the device for D&DBeyond and the like to track your character, roll dice, look up rules and the like.

Going VR would make it easier, but until we get "google glasses" where its no more of a strain than wearing a pair of glasses, those headsets get uncomfortable quickly.

GiantKitteness

Villager
I find this notion only interesting for it’s novelty value. It’s basically a very static version of PokemonGo. In fact Larping is really the obvious market for AR. Once someone figures out how to provide AR for Larpers it will be revolutionary.
Or if this program could be used by people in multiple locations on Zoom sessions for e.g. with a real-time instance of the dungeon map available to each player in their own homes/locations. Even better if it could then be integrated into the video feed so that each player seems to be sitting at the virtual map. That would be nightmarishly hard to do I imagine.
lot of potential but on the face of it right now I can see why they’re giving it away (to androids at least).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Eventually? There is a store right now for minis and terrain.

I've downloaded it.

A: The tutorial is not great. But not AWFUL. But not great.
B: You can build a decent amount of stuff with the free terrain, but the lack of minis will be offputting for nearly everyone. And, those minis aren't free.....

If there is a snap to grid for placing the terrain, I can't find it. That's, not good Bob.

Remove ads

Remove ads