D&D General Augmented Reality App Mirrorscape Launches On Mobile

Download it now for free and enjoy a 3D virtual environment on your home table!

GB-L-0749.png

Mirrorscape, the augmented reality virtual tabletop, has launched for free as an open beta on iOS and Android devices. Using Mirrorscape you can create a virtual tabletop, compete with scenery and miniatures, on your empty table or floor. The open beta gives free access to the platform's range of terrain, dice, and miniatures.

At present, Mirrorscape supports Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, and Starfinder, and it's designed to be modular and allow support of a wide range of TTRPGs. The modular miniatures and terrain comes from companies Hero Forge, Dwarves Forge, Reaper, and Norse Foundry, and the platform has recently adopted the new Open RPG Creative (ORC) license. Amongst its team, Mirrorscape includes actor and D&D superfan Joe Manganiello.

Eventually, the platform will be compatible with AR headsets and glasses. You can download it for free on iOS or Android.

GB-L-0725.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's no such thing as a free lunch, the people who developed this have to eat. Personally? Only issue I have is that it's IOS/android only which means I can't run it on my laptop. :(
It's AR. You'd have to look through your laptop! It's like Pokemon Go.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I can't for one minute imagine using this as shown in the videos, or on your phone.

I can't figure out how this is a GOOD idea, when you need to have another device for running the game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can't for one minute imagine using this as shown in the videos, or on your phone.

I can't figure out how this is a GOOD idea, when you need to have another device for running the game.
I see it as an iteration thing. People did Pokemon Go in the millions, after all. People do use their phones for AR in that manner.

But for me the end game is glasses (not headsets, but lightweight glasses).

Reynard

Legend
I see it as an iteration thing. People did Pokemon Go in the millions, after all. People do use their phones for AR in that manner.

Which you will only get if enough early adopters make that leap viable. Tech is a weird world from a consumer standpoint. There are TONS of awesome products that just disappeared because there wasn't the audience for the investment.

Oofta

Legend
It's AR. You'd have to look through your laptop! It's like Pokemon Go.
My screen detaches, it acts as a tablet. Unfortunately it's a bit older so no windows 11 (which can run Android).

But I'm with others, interesting idea but until we have AR goggles I just don't see it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

Sure, but that's quite different than the demo videos, sitting around looking at your screen, and somehow running dndbeyond at the same time.

As for glasses, I spent thousands of dollars so I'd never have to wear glasses again! But, sure, if we could have an alternate reality view? I'd do that for a few hours at a time. But I'm 59, so I'm not holding my breath on doing it more than 1-3 times in my life.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, but that's quite different than the demo videos, sitting around looking at your screen, and somehow running dndbeyond at the same time.

As for glasses, I spent thousands of dollars so I'd never have to wear glasses again! But, sure, if we could have an alternate reality view? I'd do that for a few hours at a time. But I'm 59, so I'm not holding my breath on doing it more than 1-3 times in my life.
Won't be long now. The tech is progressing fast. It's just the killer app it's waiting for.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So, pricing for minis:

The reaper bundles are the same cost (assuming you don't buy lots of AR coins at a discount, but why wouldn't you) as heroforge bundles....but those bundle are usable on any system that can use HF....so for humanoids, I'd go for the heroforge, unless you are buying the coins at a discount (which, again, if you are using this thing, you will, and they are 30% off at the highest tier). (note: that's five minis for 8 USD, but some of the minis from Reaper on MS cost more, like all the non-humanoids, which I'd guess is NOT a coincidence).

If you wanted to buy, for example, the Redbrand hideout, it would cost around $40 (with the discount). That's why I didn't back this kickstarter. It's just A LOT of money. You can re-use those assets, but, wow.

Now, by comparison, Talespire requires everyone to have a license, but once you spend the $25 per person, you get a boatload of minis and terrain. It is so much cheaper than Mirrorscape it isn't funny. Of course, you don't get the cool AR stuff......but the price difference is insane. As with many of these companies, Talespires website is ridiculously out of date, so I can't easily find the number of minis....

Remove ads

Remove ads