• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archery vs. TWF

Cirex

First Post
hong said:
I would say you're not supposed to cross the streams.

But I could be wrong.

If someone asks you if you are an archer, you say "Yes!".

You can actually cross the streams, since many powers got the same text for both TWF and archery, like, "if you hit, you deal 2[w]. Str vs AC for TWF, Dex vs AC for archery" (made that one up).

There are TWF-only and Archery-only attacks, but you can use both, actually. However, picking one or another fighting style at level 1 gives you nice advantadges. If you pick TWF, you can dual wield bastard swords, in example, since you can treat one-handed weapons as off-hand weapons.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Hah, so it sounds like I can go the bow route, use the bow a lot - but still get in close and have a lot of advantages, albeit I'll need to default to using a proper off-hand weapon.

Seems fine to me.

So, what does choosing a fighting-style actually constitute? Is it something you pick as a class feature? Or a feat choice that takes a slot?

Njall

Explorer
Darth Cyric said:
Two words: Blade Cascade

Ditto...Someone posted the power somewhere ( CharOpt? ).
You must be dualwielding. You keep attacking alternating main and off hand until you miss. That's...sick ( and maybe it needs an errata, since it seems it can end an encounter with any solo monster on its own ).

Cirex

First Post
It's a class feature, like picking a warlock pact. If you pick archery, you get a feat that gives you an AC bonus against opportunity attacks. If you pick the twin-blade style, you get toughness feat and the possibility of treating one-handed weapons as off-hand.

Then there are hybrid powers, twin-blade powers and archery powers. And then, two paragon paths for each.

osmanb

First Post
Njall said:
Ditto...Someone posted the power somewhere ( CharOpt? ).
You must be dualwielding. You keep attacking alternating main and off hand until you miss. That's...sick ( and maybe it needs an errata, since it seems it can end an encounter with any solo monster on its own ).

Holy crap. I hadn't looked at that yet, but you're right. It's just ... broken. Obviously the damage probability curve falls off, but it has an infinite tail. And with the various ways to get huge bonuses to hit for one round (eg, Warlord powers), you can keep your to-hit pretty high. Seems like this needs to be limited to a total number of attacks based on some stat mod or something. Even that could get out of hand, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads