D&D General Are Hit Points Meat? (Redux): D&D Co-Creator Saw Hit Points Very Differently

D&D co-creator Dave Arneson wasn't a fan of hit points increasing with level. According to the excellent Jon Peterson's Playing at the World he felt that hit points should be fixed at character creation, with characters becoming harder to hit at higher levels. Of course, this is an early example of the oft-lengthily and vehemently discussed question best summarised as ‘Are hit points meat?’—...

D&D co-creator Dave Arneson wasn't a fan of hit points increasing with level. According to the excellent Jon Peterson's Playing at the World he felt that hit points should be fixed at character creation, with characters becoming harder to hit at higher levels.

Of course, this is an early example of the oft-lengthily and vehemently discussed question best summarised as ‘Are hit points meat?’— a debate which has raged for over 40 years and isn’t likely to be resolved today! (but no they’re not)

gpgpn-#15-arneson-hp.jpg

Arneson later created a hit point equation in his 1979 RPG Adventures in Fantasy which was a game in which he hoped to correct "the many errors in the original rules".

aif-p4.jpg

Jaeger

That someone better
‘Are hit points meat?’

Yes, and No...

Most other RPGs that don't have exponential HP increases; HP = meat points, and they typically have some other 'meta' currency to mitigate the occasional bad roll or lucky hit: "hero points". WFRP fate points, CoC luck points etc..

D&D traditionally does not have a 'hero point' meta currency, because for D&D the HP increases per level (HP Bloat) fill in for that. Which of course has always muddled the waters of: 'what do HP represent"...

HP Bloat is D&D's 'Hero Point' meta mechanic. Hit Points in D&D are 'meat points' and 'hero points' all rolled into one.

Pre 3e D&D had limits on that though as PCs stopped gaining hit dice around level 10 or so... Not so much in the post 3e game. Now PCs gain hit points every level.

This of course leads to scaling issues with the math in every subsequent edition of the game. Which is why they all have issues the higher in level the game progresses. Stuff like CR, and the right amount of HP for x at high levels are off because it is just too much to playtest and calculate ahead of time given all the variables introduced into the system via spells and class abilities.

IMHO people were really on to something with the E6 mod for 3.x edition D&D.

For me Arneson was fundamentally correct:
D&D co-creator Dave Arneson wasn't a fan of hit points increasing with level. According to the excellent Jon Peterson's Playing at the World he felt that hit points should be fixed at character creation, with characters becoming harder to hit at higher levels.

This is how most non D&D based RPGS do it. The PC's get better at defending themselves and in dealing out the hate as they get more powerful. They also tend to add a 'hero point' meta mechanic on top of that as well...

This is my preferred PC dynamic in RPG's.

That being said - first mover status is huge. And HP bloat was in D&D since the beginning. For many reasons aside from the fact that the fanbase would revolt; I do not see D&D giving up HP bloat ever.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just accept that all of this stuff is purely to create a game to play and everything is in service to the game (with only a small handwave towards the fiction that is layered on top of the game.)

The fact you could take the Attack rolls / damage rolls / AC / HP and reskin them all to create a Social Combat system that works just the same (if the game cared about having rules for determining the "winner" of philosophical debate) shows us that the fiction isn't the important part for all of this existing-- it's the attack roll / AC into damage roll / HP dance of the game rules is what matters.

Getting too concerned about the story not layering perfectly over the game rules kind of misses the point I think.
This has been my position ever since I started playing with the rules cyclopedia where back then it would take much longer for a high level PC to heal to full than a 1st level PC. I wouldn't think about it too often, but when I did it would be invariably end with "this is just how the game works". Playing a large number of video games with health bars and hit points probably helped me not worry about it as well.

Jaeger

That someone better
in that time no one's come up with anything better. There are alternatives that work, but hit points are just more fun for DnD which is why nothing else sticks.

I disagree.

D&D was the first mover. So people are used to HP bloat

And while some things about the game have changed, we all know that there are certain sacred cows that D&D designers cannot touch without risking fanbase revolt because they do not like things changed that they are used to.

Being better is irrelevant when D&D's sacred cows and fandom are concerned.

I'd think that having your normal AC defence already assumes that you're darnest to not get killed instead of just standing there like a lemon.

Yes. This is the abstraction. Which is why I tend to think about the 'to hit' roll more as a "Roll to damage".

"Roll to hit" has become the default terminology because it is a more natural vernacular. (If imperfect in meaning)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, not working for me. I'd think that having your normal AC defence already assumes that you're darnest to not get killed instead of just standing there like a lemon. But whatever, if it works for you, then great.
It does assume that. It’s just that some attacks take great effort to avoid getting killed by, and some don’t. Which one a given attack is, is determined by the result of the attack roll.

Thomas Shey

Legend
This has been my position ever since I started playing with the rules cyclopedia where back then it would take much longer for a high level PC to heal to full than a 1st level PC. I wouldn't think about it too often, but when I did it would be invariably end with "this is just how the game works". Playing a large number of video games with health bars and hit points probably helped me not worry about it as well.

Of course there's a cart and horse thing there: a large number of video games are heavily influenced by D&D, either directly, or down the generational thing. That's why you'll see bizarre artifacts in some MMOs (CoH comes to mind here) where you see levels, "magic items" and consumables even in theoretical genres where such things should have little or no weight, because its how other MMOs do it, because that's how D&D which is the sun-source did it.

jhingelshod

Explorer
That looks very similar to the wounds and vitality system introduced in 3e's Unearthed Arcana, which was the default for Star Wars d20. Both about 20 years ago, though I'm pretty sure the idea is older.

And then they went back to just hit points, because wounds/vitality didn't catch on.
Yes, SPIs Dragonquest had Endurance and Fatigue (wounds and vitality) which were (pretty much) fixed at character creation. I can't remember off hand when 1e DQ was published, but we played 2e in the early '80s and it had been around a few years then.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Falling damage is one of the most egregious cock ups in the rules IMHO. It doesn’t take any account of momentum. The dice should scale with size (being a rough equivalent to mass).

So:

Tiny, no damage.
Small, Xd4
Medium, Xd8
Large, Xd10
Huge, Xd12
Gigantic, Xd20
And X should scale more rapidly. (hand wave :) ).
An alternate take is that it intentionally works as it does in order to model the fiction the game is based upon, rather than attempting realism. In fantasy fiction, falls very rarely kill powerful characters. Even when such a character is presumed dead, it's almost inevitable that the character will return at some point, alive and well.

The tropes of fantasy fiction don't always dovetail cleanly with realism.

pemerton

Legend
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...

In 5e, hit points have to be meat, and heroes are demigods. Any reasonably healthy PC at level 5 or so can, every evening, walk off a 5 story building and land on the cobblestones below (5d6), to to bed, and feel 100% fine the following morning.

The fact that this can be done EVERY DAY means it can't be "luck". Of course sometimes people fall from 5 stories and are fine (ish), but the great majority of the time, such a fall is lethal. The heroes aren't ducking the ground.
At the risk of sounding like a broken rebutter . . .

We don't know that, in the fiction, this can be done every day. Inferring from the method we use to resolve those occasions when it happens to the conclusion that it would happen like that every time in the fiction is treating a metagame/fortune-in-the-middle mechanic as if it is a model of an ingame causal process. When in fact it is not.

Now if, in fact, you play a game in which mid-level PCs insist on performing the dive you describe on a daily basis the fiction will become stupid. But that doesn't show that hit points are meat; it just shows that hit points, like most other metagame/FitM resolution frameworks, have fictional tolerances beyond which they will break.

A parallel that has been with us since AD&D times is this: the fighter chained to the rock and breathed on by the dragon. The saving throw which permits survival can be narrated as some sudden moment of luck; but if we try to apply the saving throw mechanics to a situation where a dragon breathes on the chained fighter every morning, and then allows the fighter to recover hit points, we'll get the inanity that the fighter is always lucky. D&D simply isn't designed to deal with such cases. They are deviant fictions, relative to the rules.

Remove ads

Remove ads