D&D General Are you jumping ship? What will you be switching to?

What system will you switch to?

• Pathfinder

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • Fantasy AGE

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • The One Ring

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Dungeon World/PbtA

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • FATE

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Cortex

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Genesys

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Cypher

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • SotDL/SotWW

Votes: 12 8.5%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Free from the delusions I once had that 5.5e was going to be a return to form after 5e core, I shall continue on with my own system, hopefully finishing the thing for publishing while everyone else is still scrambling to realign.
Though I suspect our systems are as different as night and day, I too will continue on with my own. Not sure it'll ever be published, that's not the intent of it, but the player-side stuff* is sitting there on our (non-google-able) website if anyone ever wants to use it or mine it for ideas.

* - if anyone wants the DM-side material I'm happy to email it.

Shiroiken

Legend
If I bailed, it would probably be to L5R's original d10 system. Given that none of the editions are perfect, I'd probably see if I could scrounge up the rules for 7th Sea, since it used the same core system, then use all this information to create my own version of Rokugan.

More than likely, I'd probably just continue to pay 5E. It's the best edition of D&D so far, and even if WotC goes insane, I still own my books.

My first love of gaming is the 3.5/PF1 and I have everything I need to continue to play that game for as long as I want to.
I'm pretty firmly embedded in the Savage Worlds ecosystem and like it well enough for short run campaigns and pulp games.
2023 though, is the year I finally bring GURPS to the table for extended play to see if I can stop shuttling between system constantly.

Should all that fail I have pretty complete 4e collection, all of WHFRP4e as well as Symbaroum, Coriolis, Earthdawn 4e, Genesys/FFG Star Wars, Zweihander, and Numenera, Bladed in the Dark, ICRPG, and others. I'm set. I haven't been a WOTC customer consistently since the early release of 5e. I've bought a couple of the other books but for reference and use in other systems and have since moved them on to someone else.

I love what the OGL did for gaming and have supported many of the larger, and some of the smaller publishers over the years. I hate what's happening to the community right now. But I, and probably most of us who post here, have enough games on our shelves we could not give WotC another dime for the rest of our lives and not run out of gaming. VTT platform issues though are concerning to me, so I've started tentatively exploring Owlbear as a system neutral place to play.

I don't really plan on jumping ship right away. We've got until 2024 to see how this plays out.

But I have been thinking about Call of Cthluhu for awhile now. This would be a good excuse to try it out. No need to wait to see what WotC does to start exploring that system.

I wish I knew of a way to do Dread on a VTT. I'd love to try that out, but all my RPG groups are web based right now.

trostol

First Post
my group still plays 3e so it shouldn't be a huge factor..though we did recently change GMs and he is running Starfinder so that..might cause an issue down the line

Greg K

Legend
My plan before getting COVID was to run 5e for friends. Now, if and when I stop brain fogging, my plans for fantasy include Savage Worlds, Fantasy Age, Barbarians of Lemuria/ Legend of Steel,and, maybe, Fantasy Craft, Tiny Dungeon, BASH! Fantasy. All depends on the players and what I am looking for.

Faolyn

(she/her)
My group is not so much jumping ship as finishing up our current games and then switching to other systems. We're looking very heavily at SWADE, although several of us are also interested in Star Trek Adventures, and I've got my eye on Spire as well.

I'm also finally going through the ten zillion indie games I got from various itchio charity bundles.

Remove ads