D&D General Are you jumping ship? What will you be switching to?

What system will you switch to?

• Pathfinder

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • Fantasy AGE

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • The One Ring

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Dungeon World/PbtA

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • FATE

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Cortex

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Genesys

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Cypher

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • SotDL/SotWW

Votes: 12 8.5%

They might not be bluffing though and they only need to win once.
They are bluffing, and they only have to loose once. Whereas they have to win over every single game mechanic. And every roll of the dice is money down the toilet.
I'm not doom and glooming it I have no idea either way .
Sounds like it to me. And frankly, the situation is bad for WotC. I'm confident any judge is going to laugh any retroactive rule changes out of court, which leaves those big companies free to wheel in their D&D-clones under the terms of earlier OGLs.

"Jumping ship" is a big statement, since I guess I'll always play DnD is some shape or form. But recently I'm very intrigued by Soulbound. The rules look very simple, and the lore and the art of the books is just gorgeous. That's something I miss from WotC (and DnD) lately. Everything is so vanilla with DnD lore and art, while Soulbound is really firing up my imagination.

fjw70

Adventurer
I am pretty happy with 5e and I am sure I will continue to play that. I have what I need to play it for perpetuity.

I would also like to play more other games in the future, such as The One Ring, more FFG Star Wars, the Song of Ice and Fire RPG, etc.

No shortage of options.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I have absolutely no desire or need to make decisions on anything right now... considering the fact that there's still plenty of time for WotC/Hasbro executives to make big decisions and changes which result in everything working out for everyone. And thus the thousands of people who had previously exclaimed "I'm done!" (but who actually still really want to play D&D)... having to backtrack their statements if they find the new situation acceptable.

So why bother going through the effort of "choosing now" when there's nothing to gain?

I have absolutely no desire or need to make decisions on anything right now... considering the fact that there's still plenty of time for WotC/Hasbro executives to make big decisions and changes which result in everything working out for everyone. And thus the thousands of people who had previously exclaimed "I'm done!" (but who actually still really want to play D&D)... having to backtrack their statements if they find the new situation acceptable.

So why bother going through the effort of "choosing now" when there's nothing to gain?
Indeed, I'm not worried about D&D because I don't care that much about D&D. And WotC are in a pickle no matter what they do. Price of success. But edition change is a convenient time to go do something different. If I'm buying new rules anyway it might as well be for something else.

I'm honestly kind of curious why people would even be talking about jumping ship at all. If anything the OGL 1.0 is absurdly generous to the point that it allowed D&D's closest rival, Pathfinder, to come into existence basically by copy-pasting 3.5 and adding some house rules.

Shatargat

Kara Ejder
This kind of issues were foreseeable. Official content of WOTC was getting worse and worse with every new sourcebook, we already know about their behaviour to freelancers, and they're faking "supporting minority groups" for a couple of years as a marketing trend. I wasn't like it much already, but in 2022 I stopped running D&D, sold my books, handled some bills, got a new webcam and lighting for my online sessions. And lastly, I started to convert my setting I created when PHB was still on pre-order state into a Mörk Borg setting. I actually feel better without D&D in my life. I witnessed that there are lots of people using D&D as a gatekeeping material, and now it's about to change.

I'm already using Mörk Borg and Symbaroum, and planning to use Dungeon World for fantasy means. Waiting for Drakar och Demoner in the meantime.

If you really like D&D, maybe you can continue your game while not paying further to D&D products and not using VTTs for D&D means, could be an option. Because, when you open a D&D room on Roll20, it provides them a positive data. When you create a DNDB campaign, it provides them a positive data. Even if you use your own content, when you do that, they think they're dominating everyone and they can bend people to their will.

Remove ads