• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Arguing, ideating and solution-seeking on the D&D Enworld forum

Overall, which of the following best describes Enworld's D&D forum discussions? (choose THREE)

• A1. Too much arguing

• A2. Just the right amount of arguing

• A3. Not enough arguing

• B1. Too much ideation/brainstorming

• B2. Just the right amount of ideation/brainstorming

• B3. Not enough ideation/brainstorming

• C1: Too many creative solutions

• C2: Just the right amount of creative solutions

• C3: Not enough creative solutions

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm not sure, but that might at least sometimes be correlation, not causation.

Which is to say, that the threads that fall in arguing also happen to be the kind of topics you find interesting?

(Edit: hmm, that kind of describes me, I think!)

I think it is possible to have discussions about topics that could escalate into arguing, but don't due to sheer mindfulness of those involved.

(not presuming though, just a thought)

Oh, your second point is absolutely true. I'm not Filthy Lucre but the kinds of topics that are unlikely to produce at least some argument (barring primarily informational ones like the COVID thread) are not things I find of much interest. I might read them, but its unlikely I'd respond to them.

Thomas Shey

Legend
IMHO, "winning" is about avoiding the wall of quotes war in the first place and not letting yourself be sucked into it. If someone tasks you for ignoring parts of their post, then a little humility goes a long way IME to disarm any tasking: e.g., "I apologize if you felt that I ignored the rest of your post where you discuss X, but I wanted to focus on Y."

Like many things, I think avoiding the wall of quotes war is a virtue, but its not an unlimited one; I don't think simultaneously avoiding skipping relevant bits, or alternatively avoiding responding with a wall of text yourself is so trivial as to make them better choices.

Aldarc

Legend
Like many things, I think avoiding the wall of quotes war is a virtue, but its not an unlimited one; I don't think simultaneously avoiding skipping relevant bits, or alternatively avoiding responding with a wall of text yourself is so trivial as to make them better choices.
Are you looking for an indulgence for getting dragged into wall-of-quote arguments?

Remove ads