• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armed Trip

Xiam

First Post
Hallo,

During yesterdays szession two questions occured which I think aren't exactly dealt with in the rules.
Assuming a fighter with a battleaxe in one hand and a large shield in the other and the Improved Trip feat, can the character...

1. ...generally attack unarmed without having to disready his weapon (e.g. punsh in the foes head or kick in his groin...)?

2. ...trip an opponent (which actually is an unarmed attack) without having to disready his weapon and use his Improved Trip feat for directly attacking with his battleaxe?

On the one hand side, the rules don't explicitly say that a chacter has to disready his carried waepons to attack unarmed, on the other hand, what are trip weapons designed for? And what does your common sense tell you?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Xiam said:
1. ...generally attack unarmed without having to disready his weapon (e.g. punsh in the foes head or kick in his groin...)?
Sure he can. However, if you actually want to use the flavor text of "punch", maybe someone would require a hand free, but I think punching while holding the axe is okay. For flavor, it doesn't matter. But, holding an axe in one hand and a shield in the other doesn't stop you from making unarmed attacks.

Xiam said:
2. ...trip an opponent (which actually is an unarmed attack) without having to disready his weapon and use his Improved Trip feat for directly attacking with his battleaxe?
Sure, same thing. You can trip with your feet, legs, whatever. The description is irrelevant as far as the action is concerned.

Xiam said:
On the one hand side, the rules don't explicitly say that a chacter has to disready his carried waepons to attack unarmed, on the other hand, what are trip weapons designed for? And what does your common sense tell you?
As above. Personally, I can easily trip someone with my hands full.

Remove ads