[Arsenal Contest] Mad Mog vs. the Elf Bint

Ladies and gentlemen, we are here today to witness a duel between two very different combatants, as part of a contest by E.N. Publishing to promote our newest release in the E.N. Arsenal line, E.N. Arsenal - Whips. If poster Bigwilly, playing as the half-Orc Mad Mog, is able to defeat our whip-wielding contender, he will win a free copy of E.N. Arsenal - Whips and Spiked Chain. Even if he loses, he still goes home with a free copy of Whips.

Originally Posted by Bigwilly

Even for PVP, I can't totally twink out a character. He's big, he's bad and you don't want to go toe-to-toe with him, but he could be taken out easily by a smart opponent. He can sneak a bit (nice armor) and hates elf bints cos they made fun him when he was little. He wields two bastard swords called 'Pain' and 'Greed'.

Mad Mog
Male Half-Orc Barbarian 3/Ranger 3/Fighter 4

CR 10; Medium Humanoid; HD 3d12+12 + 7d10+28; hp 101[121]; Init: +2; Spd 40 ft; AC 19[17] (+1 dodge) Touch 15, Flat footed 17; Base Atk +10; Grp +15; Atk +17[19] melee (1d10+8[10] (+2d6), 17-20/x2) vicious bastard sword; Full Atk: +13/+8[+15/+10] melee (1d10+8[10] (+2d6) 17-20/x2) vicious bastard sword and +13 melee (1d10+5[7], 17-20/x2) wounding bastard sword; SA none; SQ: Darkvision 60’, Orc blood, Fast movement, Illiteracy, Rage 1/day [Stats when raging], Trap sense +1, Uncanny dodge; AL CN; SV: Fort +14[16], Refl +7, Will +4; Str 20[24], Dex 14, Con 18[22], Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 6;

Skills and Feats: Climb +6, Concentration +4, Handle animal +0, Hide +10*, Intimidate +11, Jump +6, Listen +6, Move Silently +10*, Spot +6, Survival +3, Swim +6; Alertness, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, EWP (bastard sword), Favored enemy (elf bints: +2 on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival & damage rolls), Improved Critical (bastard sword), Weapon Focus (bastard sword), [Track], [Two-Weapon Fighting], Weapon Specialization (bastard sword), Wild empathy

Possessions: Amulet of natural armor +1, Shadowed silent moves studded leather armor +3*, 'Pain' Vicious bastard sword +1, 'Greed' Wounding bastard sword +1

Vs.

Originally Posted by RangerWickett

Quillathe Nailo
Female Elf Ranger 2/Fighter 4/Nailo-Shalanth 4

CR 10; Medium humanoid; HD 4d10+6d8+10; hp 64; Init +8; Spd 40 ft.; AC 24 (+6 +2 mithral shirt, +6 dexterity, +1 natural armor, +1 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 18; Base Atk +9; Grp +10; Atk +20 melee (2d6+2/crit: 19-20, +1 frost bladed whip) or +19 melee (2d6+1/crit: 18-20, +1 frost rapier) or +18 ranged (1d6+1/crit: x3, masterwork shortbow); Full Atk +16/+11 and +15 melee (2d6+2/crit: 19-20, +1 frost bladed whip and 2d6+1/crit: 18-20, +1 frost rapier), or +18/+13 ranged (1d6+1/crit: x3, masterwork shortbow [Str +1]); SQ elf traits, whisperstrike, favored enemy (human) +2, whip mastery +1; AL CN; SV Fort +9, Ref +16, Will +1; Str 12, Dex 26, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 13.

Skills and Feats: Balance +15, Climb +11, Hide +17, Jump +22, Move Silently +15, Tumble +15; Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bladed whip), Improved Melee Lash, Melee Lash, Mobility, Spring Attack, Style Focus (bladed whip and rapier), Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Whip Strike.

Possessions: +1 frost bladed whip, +1 frost rapier, +2 mithral shirt, amulet of natural armor +1, ring of protection +1, gloves of dexterity +4, boots of striding and springing, masterwork dagger, masterwork shortbow [Str +1], silver arrows, back up masterwork bladed whip, various incidental items.

New Rules: Quillathe's Melee Lash feats allow her to attack with a whip or whip-like weapon and not incur attacks of opportunity. She threatens 10 ft. around her with a whip.

Whip Strike lets her deal damage to creatures with her whip regardless of their armor or natural armor bonus.

Style Focus is identical to weapon focus, except that it applies to a chosen pair of weapons, and only grants the bonus if you are armed with both weapons. If Quillathe were disarmed of her rapier, she would lose the bonus to attacks with her bladed whip.

Quillathe's bladed whip does d6 lethal damage, with a critical threat range of 19-20/x2. With its enhancement bonus factored in, it has hardness 5 and 15 hit points. It is otherwise identical to a whip.

Whip Mastery grants Quillathe a +1 bonus to attack rolls with whip-like weapons.

The battleground is a forest clearing. The clearing itself is a hundred and twenty feet across, surrounded by Medium forest. There are a lot of small trees, and a massive tree every thirty feet or so. Rules for medium forests are on page 87 of the DMG. Most of the ground is clear near the clearing, but if you go more than 100 ft. into the woods assume light undergrowth.

We're running this game on the honor system. Roll your dice at home and post your unmodified roll, and what it is modified. If you take an action that would incur an attack of opportunity, post what action you're taking, then wait for your opponent to respond before moving on with your action. If you have a readied action, use the {spoiler} tag to hide what you're readying until after you decide what to do, and then check the hidden text to see if the readied action interferes with your action. If it does, post what you were trying to do, and wait for your opponent's reaction.

If there is a conflict, we'll go to our unofficial judge - the Rules Forum.

Quillathe and Mad Mog are both searching for the same set of ruins, where a treasure waits for the taking. It seems like neither wants the other to have the treasure. The combatants start 60 ft. apart, each 30 ft. from the middle of the clearing (and thus 30 ft. from the tree line, and neither is surprised.

Bigwilly, post when you're ready, and we can get started. I'm gaming later tonight, but otherwise I should be able to keep this going at a fast pace.

Quillathe stands in a duelist's stance, smirking confidently at her half-Orc opponent. She holds a rapier in her left hand, casually pointed at Mog, and with her right hand she smugly twirls a bladed whip. Both weapons trail frigid mist in the late afternoon heat.

"Do we have to fight?" she scoffs, sneering. "I can smell your Orc filth from here."

Last edited:

Bigwilly

First Post
Ready

Mad Mog just knew the elf bint was going to say something like that. Always with the attitude and the big mouth. With a low grunt, he reaches over his shoulders for his blades. His massive arms and torso ripple with muscle as he draws the two overly long blades. They are not matched; one glimmers with eldritch energy and runes, the other has a wickedly serrated edge.

'Me make you hurt for dat' he growls in broken common. Holding the blades out wide to either side, he draws himself up to his full height and gives an intimidating roar. Then with the blades held ready, he charges towards the elf.

Intimidate roll: 3 + 11 = 14 (no game effect)
Initiative roll: 18 + 2 = 20

Mad Mog can charge up to 80' with fast movement. His AC drops to 17 for the charge. Let me know if he gets close enough to make the attack roll. I'll try to check my mail regularly over the weekend and post as often as I can.

Bigwilly

(You probably should've waited to declare your action until after we saw who went first, but I don't think it would've affected my tactics, so no worries.)

Quillathe rolls a nat 20 for initiative, for a 28. She readies an action to attack Mog with Combat Expertise for 5 when he comes within range, then take a 5-ft. step back. Her attack roll is 15 -5 +20 = 30, for an easy hit on the charging barbarian. Bladed whip and cold damage deal 12 damage.

When Mog moves from 10 ft. away to 5 ft. away, he provokes an attack of opportunity, since Quillathe threatens 10 ft. Quillathe simply attacks again with the whip, rolling 5 -5 +20 = 20), and dealing 10 damage.

Now Mog is within melee range of her, so it's time to finish his action.

Bigwilly

First Post
You made me angry

Damage taken: 22 of 101 hp
Attack roll at end of charge: 10 + 17 + 2 = 29 miss

Shrugging off the pain, Mog twists his torso and brings the bastard sword 'Pain' down in a crushing blow that narrowly misses Quillathe. Foam and spittle fleck his lips and he roars in frustration.

Your turn.

Quillathe attacks with her whip, using Combat Expertise for 5, rolling 10 -5 +20 = 25, hitting for 7 damage. Then she retreats 40 ft. to the tree line. This incurs an attack of opportunity from Mad Mog, but Mobility ups her AC for this to 34.

At the end of the movement, she intends to stand in the same square as a small tree, which will grant a +2 cover bonus to AC, and a +1 bonus to Reflex saves, which will make her AC 32.

Morrus has suggested we use the dice tag, which rolls dice for you and shows an image in the body of your post. You can't change the number by editing your post, so just to make sure things are safe and no one worries about dice rolls, we can use this.

The format is (dice=#dice)#sides(/dice), replacing parentheses with brackets. So ( becomes [, and ) becomes ]

So say I want to roll a d20. [dice]

2d6? [dice]

1d12 [dice] + 1d6 [dice]

I hope that works.

Bigwilly

First Post
Dice rolls or not?

I saw the arguments for and against the dice rolling system on Cyme's fight thread. I'm okay with the honour rolls as I could need up to 8 rolls for a full attack sequence.

His blood beginning to boil, Mog takes another swing with 'Pain' as the elf retreats towards the tree line.

Damage taken: 29 of 101 hp
Attack roll: A poxy 6 + 17 = 23 miss

Mog lopes after Quillathe, his long strides allowing him to easily keep up with her (40' fast move). Having been stung three times already with the whip, he approaches as carefully as he can (Quillathe is his dodge target, AC goes up to a massive 20), his swords at the ready.

Mog provokes an attack of opportunity as he closes.

Bigwilly

First Post
Dice rolling

I see the way you are using the dice roller in the fight with the Duergar. I think I can work with this. Will just mean a few more posts for dice rolls.

The following is just a test to see if I got the formatting right:

[dice]

Last edited:

Remove ads