D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The problem with drawing halflings is, if you don't start futzing about with the ratios, they basically look like a human. Unless there's something in the art that makes you realize the scale - human sized furniture or an actual human :D - how would you know that that's a halfling?

I mean, this is basically a human:

496482n2hvy31.png

So, while I understand the distaste for wonky looking halflings, how exactly do we make them not look like humans?
Halflings don’t have facial hair. And humans don’t have pointy ears. This is obviously a picture of a half-elf.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
So, in an attempt to get this thread back on topic...

Do you prefer stylized art in D&D, or generalist art?

Would you prefer less realistic art that is more stylized, or more realistic art that is less stylized? Maybe both?

I prefer art that expresses Fantasy. Since both art and the interpretation of what is Fantasy are both subjective areas, I'll specifically know it when I see it and not generally beforehand.

Fantasy proportionally plausible to the cosmic context. Realism as pertains to anatomy or aproximation where exists anatomy that is not comparable to the real world. I like realistic looking art that none the less looks fantastic.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To be honest, I have no idea what you're trying to say either. To me, it seems like you're trying to deny that there were problems with art, stories, etc. because there was potentially female fans of them.

I realize that my previous post might not have a lot to deal with that sort of thing, but I have absolutely no patience for people saying that kind of thing, nor do I plan on getting it.
I was arguing against that position.

doctorbadwolf

No proofs. I state proofs. There was no "toxic male fandom" back then. Girls were doing what they did and either joined boys in what they were doing or vice versa. By the same token, if Girls were playing doll house are they then of "Toxic female fandom" if the boys did not wish to join and then judged them accordingly? No. Sometimes the two genders met, more often they did not, Mary Gygax, my sister, the Gygax girls, my girlfriends, my mother, my Aunts, they understand what we were dong and none of them had a mind to join in it even though the invites were there. Model train collectors and simulationists of the same time period--predominantly male as well--are now Toxic Males by such standards? Hogwash. They just admired trains and went about demonstrating their admiration for them, just as my sister went about admiring doll houses and built one, or gardens and planted one, or when she saw something in "alternative medicine" when the rest of the family did not. Difference. It makes the world go round if one can accept it as not being 'Toxic'.
Bud, I’m not gonna try to teach someone who still thinks all that is true, or who makes wildly nonsensical leaps like those you’ve made above.

If you can’t be bothered to hear from all the women who experienced toxic male fandom in the early days of dnd, or for decades before as science fiction or pulp fans, or still today as fans of just about anything, and you really think that girls just don’t like pulp or whatever, I can’t help ya.

doctorbadwolf

Exactly, that's my point: saying "gosh, they weren't into that in the '60's" says more about the unwelcoming culture extant at the time than women not liking fantasy.
And like, there have always been large numbers of female Star Trek fans, and comic book readers, and LoTR readers, etc.

Women have always been into pulp speculative fiction.

Bud, I’m not gonna try to teach someone who still thinks all that is true, or who makes wildly nonsensical leaps like those you’ve made above.

If you can’t be bothered to hear from all the women who experienced toxic male fandom in the early days of dnd, or for decades before as science fiction or pulp fans, or still today as fans of just about anything, and you really think that girls just don’t like pulp or whatever, I can’t help ya.
Don' be insulting. I never said there is not a toxic male culture today, just as there is a toxic female culture today. There wasn't any of either in my instances and in my time. BTW: The name is Rob, not Bud.

doctorbadwolf

So, in an attempt to get this thread back on topic...

Do you prefer stylized art in D&D, or generalist art?

Would you prefer less realistic art that is more stylized, or more realistic art that is less stylized? Maybe both?
In DnD specifically, I want both. I want maybe even more of a mix than there is already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases