D&D 5E Attacks per round.

S

Sunseeker

1. Should other classes get multiple attacks in a round?
Yes, most martial classes should be able to do multiple attacks in a round. Rogues, non-druid/cleric wannabe Rangers.

I also feel martial-like builds of certain classes should gain them, but at a slower rate. Battlepriest-style clerics, druids, hexblade type things, swordmages, psions, ect... Should advance in multiple attacks at half the rate of a fighter.

So compared with below, a martial-like caster would have 2 attacks at 10th level, and also suffer weapon restrictions to keep them from simply being a fighter with nukes.

2. How many attacks should a high-level fighter have?
I would say, one every 5 levels, per hand, similar to 3.x
So a 10th level two-handed fighter would have 3 attacks, a 10th level two-weapon fighter would have 6, but obviously have reduced damage/attack bonuses.

Personally, I would also scale damage dice, adding one die-type of damage at each increment(in my happy worlds, every 5 levels) with your attacks.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't get why people insist on 5 levels between extra attacks? Why not 4? Or 3? Most D&D campaigns end before reaching level 10 why keep all the awesomeness at lvl 15?

Warder

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I don't get why people insist on 5 levels between extra attacks? Why not 4? Or 3? Most D&D campaigns end before reaching level 10 why keep all the awesomeness at lvl 15?

Warder

Isn't this an argument for spreading the awesomeness out further? how else to stretch out the length of a campaign? If all the goodies come in the first ten levels, why continue?

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I would rather not see multiple attacks every round as a standard feature of any class, even the Fighter, as it rapidly leads to excessive table time for those characters' turns and for combats in general.

I would not object to multiple attacks being a deployable resource, as the Fighter had in the first playtest, or interfacing with the expertise mechanic - though that is an every round resource currently anyway.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Warder

Partly because it's an incentive to try and keep going beyond level 10.
And partly because some DM's don't want that much awesomeness in their campaigns.

VinylTap

First Post
"I think more attacks is definitely more "fun", and it helps add a level of momentum to a campaign. I would be happy with one every 4-5 levels, for a total of +4/+5 attacks.

If the rogue doesn't have more attacks his damage should still be able to be competitive. I'm fine with less attacks, but he should do more damage, which SA is suppose to help with already.

ps. The swingy-ness of one attack is a bit of s bummer.

pps. maybe make TWF close to as good as a second attack so people can get there quickly, but then make a much bigger gap to 2 (3 with twf)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Right now it looks like the toughest monsters in the 1-10 range get 3 attacks per round (Troll, Owlbear,even the dragons). I'm wondering what some of the 11-20s will get? This should be a consideration when giving fighters extra attacks. You don't want a fighter to be able to stand toe to toe with a tough monster of equal level.

tlantl

First Post
I'm thinking no more than three.

I'm okay with say;

1, 2/3, 2, 3/5, 3. And they increase every 3 levels.

(or increase by one every 6 levels if you just can't be bothered tracking odd numbered attacks every other round)

Any more than that and the enemy doesn't really have a chance especially if they only ever get one attack a round.

Maybe fighters and their sub-classes could get double their attacks against things that are 10 HD lower than they are.

Remove ads