D&D 5E Attacks per round.

B.T.

First Post
I couldn't disagree more. Multiple attacks make a mockery of flat math. They mean, not to put too fine a point on it, that a 6th level fighter is more than twice as damaging as a fifth level fighter. So much for flat math.
As far as I understand the term, "flat math" indicates much smaller numbers in the attack / defense department, not in terms of damage values. The WotC developers have stated they intend for damage to increase by quite a bit so that low-level monsters with low HP become mooks because they die in one hit. Giving the fighter the ability to double his damage output seems consistent with this.

However, you are correct in that there is a significant power increase at sixth level for fighters in 5e. This was partially mitigated in 3e by the penalty on iterative attacks. In order to "solve" this dilemma, I recommend bringing back 3/2 attacks.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I couldn't disagree more. Multiple attacks make a mockery of flat math. They mean, not to put too fine a point on it, that a 6th level fighter is more than twice as damaging as a fifth level fighter. So much for flat math.

Except that flat math really isn't about damage output. It's about achieving a successful test and keeping the slope necessary for success relatively flat.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
However, you are correct in that there is a significant power increase at sixth level for fighters in 5e. This was partially mitigated in 3e by the penalty on iterative attacks. In order to "solve" this dilemma, I recommend bringing back 3/2 attacks.

I would avoid fractional attack rates. They were a hassle to explain in 1e.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Maybe they intend to tier things again?

So:
1-5 is Adventurer Tier
6-10 is Heroic Tier
11-15 is Paragon Tier
16-20 is Master Tier

If so there could be a significant power bump at each Tier that would "mook" lower level enemies. 6+ Multiattack, the Wizard getting access to new tiers of spells, all of that.

Then at 11 you get your PrC/Paragon Path/whatever, and at 16 you get another big power bump?

Except that flat math really isn't about damage output. It's about achieving a successful test and keeping the slope necessary for success relatively flat.

No. It's about scaling - and one part of scaling includes damage output. Orcs don't remain relevant longer when the fighter gets to turn them into cuisineart at twice the rate rather than they hit two thirds as often and the fighter hits half again as often.

I know we'll never go back to fractional attacks, but a man can dream.

Fractional attacks are easy - 4e has them. You just need to disguise them. If expertise dice were always to get the (Spend 2d6 - take an extra attack) ability you'd effectively have extra partial attacks.

KidSnide

Adventurer

Actually, that's not true. A 6th level fighter can attack (and hit) twice as often, but he can only apply his expertise dice once per round.

My primary concern is how multiple attacks interact with advantage.

Why? Other than requiring players to have several d20s, I'm not sure why the interaction is especially interesting.

-KS

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned

I think we're forgetting, at 6th level, you get an extra, say, d12 + str + 1 damage, AND an extra d8 expertise die, so 5d8 -> 6d8.

your total damage output at level 5 is:
assuming a hit on a 10, with str 20 (+5) and a +1 greatsword

55% * 1(d12 +str + 1 + 5d8) = 0.55 * 35 = 19.25
then at level 6, if only one attack still :
0.55 * 39.5 = 21.7
or with two attacks :
0.55 * 25 + (1 - 0.55*0.55) * 6d8 = 13.75 + 18.8 = 32.5

so, his damage increase due to the second attack at 6th level is 49.7% more, and a big chunk of that is because you can presumably split your CS dice around either attack hitting.

If you must apply all CS deadly strike to a single of those attacks chosen before the die are rolled, the DPR boost becomes:

21.7 + 0.55 * 12.5 = 28.5 (31.7% more damage at 6th due only to the second attack at full str mod).

I like big bumps and I cannot lie.

ren1999

First Post
What? I've been wanting to discuss multiple attacks per round and it was all of you who convinced me to compromise.

This is what I think now because it looks like the 1 reaction for everyone out of turn is going to stick.

This is what I say now.
1 main attack action and 1 off-hand attack action per turn with one kick/stomp/trip action at a higher level.

1 main attack and 1 minor healing action that heals less than a main healing action.

1 area spell
or
1 charm spell
or
1 assault spell and 1 movement spell such as fly

Expertise Dice also constitute extra actions so it justifies monster multi-attacks.

Stalker0

Legend
I'd be fine with multiple attacks with a flat damage system, but not with variable damage as well. Too much rolling and too much math.

Remove ads