D&D 5E Attacks per round.

B.T.

First Post
The current 5e playtest has the fighter get a boost at 6th level, allowing him to make two attacks with a standard action. I prefer multiple attacks to attack bonuses because it helps with the whole "flat math" thing. My two questions are:

1. Should other classes get multiple attacks in a round?
2. How many attacks should a high-level fighter have?

the Jester

Legend
I think it should be possible for other classes to get multiple attacks, but generally, a fighter should be best at it.

I think limiting the fighter to maybe 3 attacks at high levels works for me. But I also like having expertise dice options to gain more attacks (e.g. cleave).

JRRNeiklot

First Post
1: Only fighter subclasses such as ranger paladin, barbarian.
2: The fighter, and possibly barbarian should be better than the others. all they do is fight, they should do it better than others.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
For fighters (and subclasses): 2 at 6+, 3 at 11+.

I do thing the Rogue should have access to Maneuvers such as Volley (at least with simple missile weapons; perhaps simple and martial), and TWF with Finesse weapons (however that ends up).

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
In a theoretical sense: Yes! Everyone should have tons of attacks at higher level.

In an actual gameplay sense: F*** no. Do you know how many die rolls that would be per round?

Edit: Ideally, for my playstyle, every combatant would roll 1 die (or small handful) per combat round, with as few complications as possible. I want four PCs with 20 hirelings, 4 henchmen, 2 apprentices, 22 animal companions, and an undead horde.

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I would go the other way around, give the extra attack every four or three levels and max them at four attacks per round.

So 1 attack at 1st lvl, 2 at 3rd, 3 at 6th and 4 at 9th or 1 attack at 1st lvl, 2 at 4th, 3 at 8th and 4 at 12th, make the fighter the ultimate slicing and dicing machine, other warrior classes should get extra attacks at slower rates and probably be caped at three or less.

P.s barbarian is not a class :p

Warder

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Fighters by defualt should look like this for attacks:

2e more or less said:
level 1 1 attack per round
level 6 3 attacks per 2 rounds
level 12 2 attacks per round
level 18 5 attacks per 2 rounds

specialize in a weapon and get
2e more or less said:
level 1 3 attacks per 2 rounds
level 6 2 attacks per round
level 12 5 attacks per 2 rounds
level 18 3 attacks per round

VinylTap

First Post
You just have to make sure mob HP scales with PC damage output or you'll get weird imbalances-- no body wants to one shot a dragon :)

Remove ads