Spoilers Avatar The Last Airbender live-action [SPOILERS]

MarkB

Legend
Well, I totally binged that series. As a long-time fan of the original cartoon, the live-action series deviates from it frequently, but in most cases those deviations were not shortcomings - they told a different version of the familiar story that still captured its essence.

Fight choreography was good, the effects for the various bending disciplines were excellent and never felt fake or tacked-on. Some of the night-time shots were a little muddy, but generally the show was visually excellent.

I look forward to seeing further series, assuming it can escape Netflix's cancellation tendencies.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just started watching and looks good so far, love that they've included the hybrid animals, but its the accents that I'm finding discombobulating.

MarkB

Legend
Just started watching and looks good so far, love that they've included the hybrid animals, but its the accents that I'm finding discombobulating.
Mostly, you get used to them, though there are a couple that still bother me. Hopefully you'll get recombobulated in a few episodes.

Dire Bare

Legend
Just finished the back 4 episodes, watched the first 4 earlier.

Enjoyed the HELL out of it! It's not perfect, but a heck of a lot of fun.

The main and supporting characters are very well cast, and there are lots of fun cameos. Ian Ousley channels Sokka almost perfectly. A lot of the other characters seem to warm up and build into their roles, but by the end of the show, I was fully believing Gordon Cormier as Aaang, Kiawentiio as Kitara and Dallas Liu as Zuko. Many of the supporting cast had a similar issue, not quite warming up to their roles, but with less screen time, didn't fully reach it. I've seen a lot of criticism online of "bad acting", but I think it's weak direction that is the character problem. But a minor one, for me at least.

The visuals are amazing! At first, I was surprised they stuck so closely to the original designs, but they did a great job bringing the animated world of Avatar to life in live action. Some of the costuming and hair didn't feel "lived in", but was gorgeous nonetheless.

The story line condenses and rearranges the original, but there were only a few places where I felt they cut something out important . . . I'm positive there are filmed scenes on the editing room floor that should have made it in, there are a few narrative gaps or jumps. The story flowed well, if at a much faster pace than the animated show. But Sokka's romances felt too close together, but each individually worked out well with lots of chemistry. Loved the kaiju inspired climax in the final episode!

But . . . Momo got shafted! Very little screen time, you almost forgot he was there until suddenly he was! Really well realized in CGI, he looked REAL, as did Appa and the many weird animals of the Avatar world.

EDIT: Oh, and . . . much darker in live action than in animation. It was both a deliberate narrative choice but also the themes present in the original just hit harder in live action, I think.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Me too, but . . . true to the original! :)

The accents were mostly American, despite all the Asian and First Nations faces, but that was true in the animated series as well. The dialog is very modern, rather than "high fantasy", but again, also true in the original show.

But in live action . . . it did seem more out of place than it did in the animated original. But I adjusted and stopped noticing, for the most part.

MarkB

Legend
Episodes 4 to 6 were my favourite. The first three had a lot of heavy lifting to do in terms of worldbuilding, but these three really did some great exploration of characters' backstories and history, most especially Zuko.

Of the voices, the only one that still didn't feel right by the end was Azula. The actress can do her crazy side well enough, but she doesn't capture the understated menace that is her default state.

Dire Bare

Legend
Of the voices, the only one that still didn't feel right by the end was Azula. The actress can do her crazy side well enough, but she doesn't capture the understated menace that is her default state.
I agree about Azula but I felt she was one of the characters that wasn't given a lot of time to breathe. I'm interested in seeing how well she does in Season 2 . . . . if we are getting a Season 2, I hope so!

I do think the acting of both Azula and Zuko was good enough that it's clear these two siblings manipulated against each other by their father . . . . aren't going to follow the same paths.

And Azula's BFFs, especially Ty Lee, seemed to be the animated characters come to true life! Despite the very scant screen time for them both.

Stalker0

Legend
I agree about Azula but I felt she was one of the characters that wasn't given a lot of time to breathe. I'm interested in seeing how well she does in Season 2 . . . . if we are getting a Season 2, I hope so!
overall I was very pleased with the acting…with the exception of azula. Azula in the cartoon is a force…and in a constant state of barely restrained crazy. She’s too calm in the show.

I binged the show and overall loved it. It’s not a complete carbon copy but is faithful to the material. I don’t like certain changes (katana grows a bit too quickly because of the compressed episodes, and Aang hasn’t even touched waterbending by the end of the season), but I do like other parts. My favorite change is the build up of Ozar…in the cartoon Ozar is more a force through secondaries. You hear about it him a lot but not see him. Ozai in the live action is menacing and intelligent, and they do a good job showing that

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

I do think the acting of both Azula and Zuko was good enough that it's clear these two siblings manipulated against each other by their father . . . . aren't going to follow the same paths.

And Azula's BFFs, especially Ty Lee, seemed to be the animated characters come to true life! Despite the very scant screen time for them both.

To be fair much of the Azula material is new and I like that they have her resentment of Zuko on slow burn, Im hoping she descends to crazy by season 2.

I was sad that they didnt give more time with Sokka on Kyoshi island, learning to be a better warrior and less sexist.

Koh was awesome

Remove ads